Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CPA Rifles (Read 25607 times)
Richard
Participating Member

CPA Rifles
Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I've been looking at the CPA (Stevens 44 1/2 action) rifles and was wondering if anyone has worked with them.  I saw a comment: 

"In my limited experience, all the firearms I've seen from the custom manufacturers have superior fit and finish (except CPA, who apparently doesn't place an emphasis on the wood fit). "

You can get the rifles with unfinished stocks and finish them yourself which would do to add my own stamp on it, good or bad, so to speak.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: CPA Rifles
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I would not hesitate at all to order another CPA, if I were in the market for a good shooting rifle at a reasonable cost

Call them and talk to them.

I have two CPA's.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
     Hello Richard,

If you will allow me, I suggest that you actually physically inspect as many factory produced (emphasis added) CPA/Stevens as may be possible in your instance.  Do you know anyone who has a factory produced rifle, as opposed to a rifle what was put together by the owner of a CPA/Stevens action ?

The CPA folks are shooters, producing rifles for shooters.  Their product line is, without question, "first class" ; and the workmanship is superior and to be acclaimed.

It may be that the quote you have stated above is from someone who holds that particular opinion ... but I assure you ... that is not the widely held opinion among CPA/Stevens owners and shooters.

I hope this is helpfull.

Creedmoormatch

(A more than satisfied CPA owner)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
The CPA's I've seen that had poorly fitted or finished wood were most certainly done by the purchaser, not by CPA.
I think it's great that they offer guns that the buyer can finish the stocks, but as we see here, it can come back to bite them when stocks are poorly fitted of finished, and the owners don't admit they did the work.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
My first CPA finished the wood my self and it looks like it.  Then had CPA build a 'Fancy" Gun fit and finish of the wood is as good as you can find.  You can spend as much as you want getting any kind of finish you can afford Thats not what CPA is about though. Still own both and that first one I stocked would be the last to go if need be.

Paul and Gail Shuttleworth in my opinion focus on a good functional target gun set up anyway the shooter wants, while giving good advice on how it could be done. This in contrast to some of the other Reproduction guns built by companies who sell to speculators that re-sell to you, take it like it comes.  Those rifles are often finished better than the origionals were. And cost double what a CPA does.

Remember in the Golden Age of Single Shot Competition Stevens was a plain functional rifle, and the company had a custom shop turning out target rifles to order for match shooters on the plain action.  CPA is exactly like the old guns made to order for match shooters but not trying to cater to the carrage crowd. 

They offer the best customer service.  I dropped & lost a spring while clearing my action which had been jammed by spilled gunpowder one time. Called Gail and she put a new one in the mail right then arriving in time for next weekends match.  My older gun after 15 years was  getting a bit weak trigger spring wise.  Mailed the action back and they put a new one in, told me that they had upgraded the spring stock and had it back to me in a few days, No charge.

Last look at match results. CPA is on top as often as any more than most.

Guess you can say I recomend them highly.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 7:59am
Print Post  
When Barack Obama makes me get rid of all my guns but one the one I'll keep is my CPA, 52 in 32-40.

40 Rod

IP Logged

bobnh
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I have 2 CPA Rifles, one 22LR and a 32-40. They are great rifles, accuracy is superb and quality of workmanship is also superb. I have sold my Shiloh and original Model 47 and kept these two! Now as far as service goes... It has always been as good as there is out there!

IP Logged

drc

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Not bragging, while maybe a little  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes, we have 6 CPA rifles here at the house. I have either, or in the process of, finished all the wood myself. If you take 6 x the cost of having them finish the wood, you could figure out that I saved enough to buy the sights for all there rifles (good soule sights, hadley eye cups and front spirit level sights aren't cheap).   

My wife and I shoot black powder. My rifles are chambered in cartridges especially for that, 45-70, 45-100, 40-82 silhouette, a .429 on a 45 2.6 case that I designed, a 38-55 and extra barrels in 38-72. 

The only problem I have had with 6 recievers was a tolerance stackup in the firing pin bushing that caused the pin to drag, and that was taken care of. 

Gail and Paul have built the rifles to satisfy me at a cost that allowed me to get more than 1 rifle. If you look, the starting price for a Meacham silhouette model is $5000.00.   

I would not hesitate to recommend that you get a rifle from them.

dc

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I have six barrels for mine. Everything works beautifully, the action is
very, very strong, admit having double charged mine a couple of times.
For a traditional rifle the lock-time is as fast as any unmodified drop
block. Their service is great. I'm in this to shoot competition, hence,
I rarely finish the wood as I often modifications. CPA, smartest buy
in the market.

fred

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I own 1 CPA action 2 breech blocks (rimfire and centerfire) and 3 bbls
22lr, 32-40 and 32-30imp.  wood is still unfinsihed as I am still making stock modifications - maybe in another year or two.  for the money you can't beat them. - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Chris Pederson

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I just put my order in for 22LR with an extra 32-40 barrel as well after talking to various owners and shooting some examples.  I have heard lots of great things and from what I have heard and seen they will likely be remembered as the great schuetzen gunsmith of this era.

bobnh wrote on Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:23am:
I have 2 CPA Rifles, one 22LR and a 32-40. They are great rifles, accuracy is superb and quality of workmanship is also superb. I have sold my Shiloh and original Model 47 and kept these two! Now as far as service goes... It has always been as good as there is out there!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I ordered my CPA just the way I wanted it and even got an engraved action. I sent a large stock blank to them that had local and sentimental value to me and they got the 52 buttstock and 3 foreends out of it for the 32-40, 22 LR and 38-50 barrels. I finished the wood with hand rubbed red root oil and couldn't be happier with the result.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I have shot a model CPA Model 52 in Schuetzen competition primarily 200yd. benchrest for fifteen years now and it has never taken a back seat to anything found on the line. Factory fit and finish is superb and as stated earlier most of the do it yourself stock work I have seen has generaly been lacking in both fit and finish. It fifteen years I have list a half dozen firing pins, a hammer spring, sear spring and front trigger spring all replaced at no charge by CPA. The earlier firing pins were smaller in diameter and prone to breakage. Several years back CPA fixed the problem and re-bushed the breach block also free of charge and I have not lost another. My rifle has over 140,000 bullets down the bore since I bought and when you take that into consideration the problems have actualy been very minor and at no cost to me.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I have been very happy with both my Mod 49 (22lr, .22WCF & .32RKS) and Mod 52 (.32-20CPA & .40-50SS). I ordered them both with the wood sanded ready to finish. I used the $600 I saved finishing the wood towards extra barrels.

I love being able to switch barrels at the range in about 5min.

I've owned a couple Shiloh's and currently own a Browning BPS rifle. The CPA's are my favorite by far.

I have a third on order in bench rest configuration. I am patiently waiting its completion!

Best of luck with your decision.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I have five original Stevens 44 1/2 rifles and two CPA's, there is no doubt the CPA is a better rifle than the originals. Where would the Schuetzen sport be without the Shuttleworth's and their CPA's.  Ledball

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint