Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maynard Buttstocks (Read 2177 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Maynard Buttstocks
Mar 14th, 2015 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Are all Maynard buttstocks weighted?
Mine weighs about 4 or 5 pounds

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Buttstocks
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I've only encountered one that was weighted when I got it. It was a #16 that had I suppose been used in competition and was weighted to change the balance and increase the  weight.

A collector I know who has had a number of high end Maynards told me that quite a few of his were weighted.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Buttstocks
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Quote:
Are all Maynard buttstocks weighted?
Mine weighs about 4 or 5 pounds

Hi Rebel --  As you know, the original production Maynard/s, whether in the Model I or the Model II configuration, were produced for use as military arms.  Samples were sent to the Federal  armory in D.C., as well as to the two master armorers, Allin of Springfield Armory, and Ball of the Harpers Ferry Armory for evaluation.

The arms, in short length carbine style, were intended for mounted cavalry troops, hence the saddle ring provision.  Lightness of weight was a desirable feature for those particular arms.

However, Mass Arms Co. was not achieving the sales objectives set, and some of their production was directed to the civilian sporting gun market.

Consider that although Mass Arms Co. was an established firearms manufacturer capable of volume production prior to Maynard contract, they often times provided their civilian customers with various "off-catalog" features in order to meet their customers particular needs.  Examples of such features would be the sporting sets in custom wood/leather embellished wagon trunks and carry cases.

My conclusion has to be that Mass Arms Co. did, on various occasions, provide weighted butt stocks for their sporting arms customers who requested such work, most likely after the initial delivery of the rifle, in order to meet the personal needs of customers.

There most likely was a certain segment of Maynard owners of both sporting and military arms (used as sporter's) who desired an increased weight of their rifles, and either added weight to the butt stock themselves, or alternatively, had a local gunsmith accomplish that work on behalf of the owner.

Dr.Maynard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint