Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .255 W.J. Jeffery Rook Rifle (Read 5873 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

.255 W.J. Jeffery Rook Rifle
Feb 5th, 2015 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Does anyone have one of these?  It's been awhile now, but I remember slugging bore 3 times with very soft lead from muzzle end.  Now heres the problem..I can't remember if I drove slug thru to breech..but I suspect I did..as I always do.  But my measurements (Starrett .0001" micrometer) always came up .250" groove to groove.  Now this has ratchet shaped rifling..First thought maybe bore is choked?  But I a loose fitting slug going thru to breech would have raised a red flag.  Books say .255 groove?  Maybe that ratchet rifling..like Henry rifling is throwing me off.  I do know a .257 dia. bullet seated in case and making slight engraving with rifling origin fits without any problems. What do you experts think?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .255 W.J. Jeffery Rook Rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Odd or even no. of grooves?  if odd, your measurement would be the issue (land opposite groove).  Brit rifles usually have odd no. of grooves.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Tim,
If I were you I would try and obtain an original round and take it apart, that would probably give you the best dimensions. These rounds were only made by Eley and Kynock as far as I am aware.Bill Fleming in his book on British Sporting Rifle Cartridges gives the bullet dia., as 0.255". If your using a lead bullet with BP it will 'bump up'. I haven't come across reloading tools of the period for this calibre and other than Shotgun cartridges, Long Range Rifle ammo and Big 'Bore' Calibre Rifle ammo for Africa and India, the small calibre rounds never seem to have been reloaded by the sportsmen of the period. The ammo was fairly weak and not really suitable much beyond 100 yards. Jeffrey like several 'London Names' didn't make rifles himself, they were sourced from outside his company and sold under his name, his business was purely a retail outlet. Just like The Army and Navy Stores, and, E.M. Reilly and Co., to name just two. Fleming gives case dimensions, if you need them, just shout.
Harry
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2015 at 6:38am by »  

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 11:17am
Print Post  
If you cut rifling one groove at a time, then the cutting tool needs a surface opposite the cutting edge to react against. This is why most old guns have odd numbers of grooves. I drill a hole in a piece of scrap in the lathe chuck and then use a boring bar to gradually open it up until the slug just enters. Then measure the diameter of the hole.
Fred

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
In my guns with what I presume you mean by "ratchet rifling", ie., ramp rifling, I never get "book" values but a few thou inches less. Have always dismissed this to there being very little of groove-to-groove that is full width.

I have always associated ramp rifling with European paper patch military cartridges. The high end of ramp rifling looks like it would do a great job of cutting paper patches into strips.

Grisen

IP Logged

Joel Black

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I have shoot .257 cast bullets in my .255 Jeffery for years with good accuracy.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Thats good to know Joel,   I have plenty to chose from in that size.  I did find my notes, only got to the range with this one  once few years back..I was using the little Lyman 252435 @51grs.  I started out with very light TrailBoss charges.  Lowest charge shot close to p.o.a. @ 50yds..but anything heaver shot higher..6" or more.  Next time I think I will try H4227 and a heaver .257 dia. bullet.  I gotta cut back on work hours...way too much time between outings!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint