Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Carl Eislebein in Hamm shutzen Aydt action (Read 11398 times)
patbig
Ex Member

Carl Eislebein in Hamm shutzen Aydt action
Jan 16th, 2015 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Hello, I have just bought a German shuetzen rifle with an Aydt action, 8.15X46R caliber. Overall very good, the bore is excellent, little if any rust anywhere. Problems I am missing the front sight, rear sight/diopter, sear and mainspring. I have looked at the different posts and found useful stuff but I am still struggling. The sights I'll worry about later,my issue is with the maisnpring. I have looked at the diagrams in Alte Scheibenwaffen, especially pages 245 and 246. It looks very much like what I have but I cannot figure out what shape the mainspring should have; crescent blade won't work since there's nothing to hold it under pressure forward, and the lever has a deep slot and is too far to press against the spring. So should it be V shaped? It does not seem to be from the various pictures in the book. Once I get the spring figured out I'll move to the sear. 

IP Logged

patbig
Ex Member

Re: Carl Eislebein in Hamm shutzen Aydt action
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 9:06am
Print Post  
The breechblock and level unit. There's a small tongue on the hammer against which the spring presses, but no visible way to keep the spring under pressure forward. It does not seem to be V shaped in  any of the pictures in the books but if it isn't I can't figure out how it can stay in place. Or is there another part missing? 
Thanks for your help

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
Problems I am missing the front sight, rear sight/diopter, sear and mainspring.

Pat, link with names & contacts info that can help you.  I would start with Bill Loos, even with the spring & sear
295 Lake Breeze Park
Rochester, NY 14622-1948
(585) 544-1027
wjl55@frontiernet.net 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Jim Hallam ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) has a box of original diopter sights. I searched through it last October, hoping to find one for my Buechel Meister, but no luck. (The Buechel has on offset post).
Fred

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I recently made a new spring for an Aydt. The spring is a single leaf mounted in the hammer with the other end bearing on the lump on the forward part of the breechblock. The curve has to be right or there will be interference issues with the lever. The sear also has it's spring mounted directly to it, usually with a dovetail.

Steven Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

patbig
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks, that's what I guessed from the pictures. The thing I can't figure out is what holds the spring in place on the forward end of the breechblock. Since one end is pushing the hammer down, or the hammer is pushing it up, and the curve is resting against the breechblock it will just lift the forward end from the lump if nothing stops it. Just a basic rocker action. Is the forward end held in place by the forearm? I hope I am clear enough despite my own confusion.

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Nothing holds the forward end of the spring against the breechblock except the tension of the spring itself. The spring is held rigidly in the hammer and with no up or down movement at that end. The spring extends forward and rests against the lug on the breech block. The angle of the spring in the hammer is such that the hammer is held in the forward position. When the hammer is cocked the middle of the spring will curve upward but should not touch the breechblock. Look at the patent drawing on page 244 where it appears that the hammer and spring are made as one piece.

Steven Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

patbig
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Thanks, I understand the issue with my hammer, it has sort of a step so the spring is just pushing against the step - it's a small piece of metal embedded into the hammer, can be seen on the last picture. So the spring is independent from the hammer. According to  a member of the German guns collectors forum the non original Aydt like my rifle often had a V spring rather than a leaf spring, this is most probably the case for my rifle.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Did you remove the hammer from the breech block? Most Aydts have a hole and slot to contain the main spring. The main spring has a round profile at the end that slides into the slot/hole. 

Joe.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2015 at 6:17am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Excellent, Joe. Don't have one of those, but don't think you could do a better presentation on how it works.
Chuck

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
My Haenel Aydt had an original mainspring broken but still in place.  The person who made my replacement said he made the replacement spring with a doll's head on the end that retains it.  The doll's head is what holds the mainspring in place.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Think maybe that's what happened to patbigs main spring. Looks like it's broken off in his picture.

Chuckster, Our present day technology makes it possible.  I grabbed my camera, went out to the shop, took my Aydt apart and took the pictures. Put the rifle back together. Came in the house and found I'd left the SD card for the camera in my PC. After a couple well deserved head slaps, got to fiddling with the camera and figured out how to transfer the images from the built in memory to the CD card. Seems nothing is simple these days.

The Aydt rifle is brilliant in it's simplicity. But if you never saw one.......

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

patbig
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Brilliant, the pictures have been extremely helpful, and yes, what I thought was some sort of a step was in fact the broken stub of the mainspring. I have made a new spring, just needs tempering, brazed on a new trigger lever, the double set trigger now works fine. I made a plywood template for the sear, it's working so I have the main dimensions and pivot point. I'll use the schematics from the Alte Scheibenwaffen book, scale them to fit and make a new sear, I have the right thickness steel. Fingers crossed, but I could be shooting my rifle by mid February. No small thanks to you guys, you have been very helpful. I'll let you know how things go.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
To a chamber cast to get the right case/throat and bullet dimensions you'll need.   Especially if you are going to try using original style bullets.   

Not all are exactly modern standardized dimensions.  Mine turned out to be a 8.15x 52 variant rather than the  x 46--47

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
DW.  Last year at one of the OGCA shows a dealer in German Schyetzen rifles was showing me and others six or eight different 8.15 / 46R cartridges.   Ledball

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint