Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 82994 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Nov 7th, 2014 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Lugged hammer from late model Stevens 44 chambered for 32-40 or 38-55. This hammer has a square topped lug protruding from front edge of hammer. This lug fits under the breechblock, strengthening the rifle. I may need to buy breechblock from same rifle, IF this lug does not snugly fit under breechblock on my rifle.

Hammer and breechblock (if needed) both need to be undamaged (no cracks, chips, battering, excessive wear or distortion) and free of pitting. Ideally, these parts will not be from a rifle that has been damaged by ammo that produced too much pressure.

Thanks,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2014 at 7:24pm by MI-shooter »  

IP Logged

Procrustes
Ex Member

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 5:12am
Print Post  

You have got to be dreaming.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 6:09am
Print Post  
As is said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Though with the amount of hand-fitting Stevens did, I have to wonder if you could obtain the fit of block and hammer to your existing frame and barrel that you want.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 8:15am
Print Post  
I have fooled with Stevens rifles and their parts for at least 25 years, I have never seen one of these lugged hammers for sale, but any good singleshot gunsmith could make and install one in a couple hours.  Ledball

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 11:16am
Print Post  
My thanks to each of you for useful responses!

ledball's response will likely be what I pursue.

Thanks again,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Anyone that can make and install a Stevens hammer in a couple of hours has my greatest respect. Would take me most of a day, maybe two Smiley.
Chuck

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Agree with Chuck, but maybe I'm just too picky about the finished product.   Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have never seen one of these lugged hammers for sale, but any good singleshot gunsmith could make and install one in a couple hours.  Ledball

Perhaps it should be more realistically put by re-phrasing these words of guidance to .  .  .  ."but any group of extremely fast working miracle working  single shot gunsmiths could make and install one in a full eight hours time ..   

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Sorry guys, I was talking of installing a lug on an original hammer, not making the hammer with lug.  Ledball

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Any one got a fantastic miracle working singleshot gunsmith to recommend? One I was thinking of charges $55/hr for making parts. IF some of you are right, I might want to get it gold-plated, with its own display case, certificate of origin, etc.

And now we have another option, just luggit. I was wondering about that too. 

My options are increasing!

This could be facinating,
Grisen

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 3:29pm
Print Post  

Well, if that gunsmith has a DC power supply and the appropriate solutions, you should be able to get that gold plating done too.     Wink 

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Well, he does not list gold plating among the "metal" services he offers. Guess I will have to ask. Cool

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Ledball's idea of building up a lug has possibilities. Still not a simple job.
Chuck

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Chuck,

Building up to me means some kind of welding. Do you have in mind welding a peice onto an existing hammer or building up several mm of molten welding rod? What welding method and/or materials would seem applicable?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Not a welder, but might be possible to use TIG with mild steel rod to build up a lug and file to shape. Would have to be casehardened after finishing. Ledball may have a better way to do it.
Chuck

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Would it be possible to use a laser to build up the surface, then anneal, then fit to shape, then case harden? That seems to be a straight-forward way of doing it.

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
IMO, the only good a laser would be would be to use to cut out blanks from flat plate.
Very careful welding could be done to buildup a lug; but the filler metal would have to be a similar grade of steel as the hammer itself, or casehardening may not work.
Speaking from experience !

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Hello!

These ideas about welding techniques are interesting but, as note by graduated peep, can actually be unworkable because of mismatched metals. When one of the metals is from long ago, what is accuracy and precision of information about its composition, etc.?

Making a totally new part from one peice of metal of known suitable properties seems a more certain way to go. 

Regards,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:20pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:12pm:

Making a totally new part from one peice of metal of known suitable properties seems a more certain way to go. 

Regards,
Grisen

I'm working my way toward that end.  The outline is a stinker unless you have CNC, which I don't.   The originals were blanked out from plate in a stamping operation, according to one source.   By drilling and milling I can get close enough to file the rest.  It ain't going to happen in two hours, that's for certain.  Maybe eight.  I'm starting with 41L40 bar stock, to be through hardened when finished.   

The sear  notches obviously have to be has hard as possible.  Welding on an original would certainly compromise those, unless re-heat-treated/case hardened.

<div class=

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I haven't had a mill for about 10 years; I disassembled it to move it and have never taken the time to set it back up.

But, when I had the mill, I made parts that were single plane (such as hammers and triggers) with relative ease by simply freehand milling the outline after scribing it onto the surface.  Kind of like running an etch a sketch when you were a kid.  You get a feel for the knobs pretty quickly, and can follow the lines with relative ease and precision.  Of course, some file work when you were done to get it finished.

A jewelers saw is relatively quick also, but costs a few dollars worth of blades.  Then again, I spent an apprenticeship in a gold manufacturing trade shop, learnt a lot of cutting, filing and polishing skills there that make something like cutting a hammer out somewhat routine for me, that might not be for someone else.

dave

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
What about either milling a slot or drilling the front of hammer and inserting a square stock key or round pin anchoring either option by cross drilling and pining (would need to be pined under so as to draw it all together tight) then file the proper angle to fit breech block and taper bottom edge so the link won't snag it. Both options could be done w/a shoulder so you wouldn't need to remove to much material from hammer and yet have full width for breech block to rest on. I would think the hammer would be machinable w/out annealing but I may be wrong. please let me know what you think. Hopefully this is not a terrible stupid idea.
Brian

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I TIG welded my 44 hammer. Then case hardend. Apears to work fine.

Larry

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Larry,

Was your TIG welding a repair or to create the kind of lug being discussed?

Brian,
I have vague thoughts similar to what you posted. Not being a machinest in the least, I have been hoping someone that is would post an analysis of such an approach. What you suggest would seem to offer option of modifying and fitting a used hammer.

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I TIG welded my 44 hammer. Then case hardend. Apears to work fine.Larry

Hi Larry --

This entire proposition concerning the desirability of having a so-called "lugged" hammer in a J.Steven Model 44 action just may be a "tempest in a teapot" for lots of folks who are running by the seat of their trousers.

It certainly makes for interesting, albeit alarming, conversation.  However, any one who is in possession of a J. Stevens Model 44 rifle with a barrel chambered for the .38 caliber; or, such as  yourself, has the same rifle, is definitely going down a pathway that can only lead to the most unwise of territories.

I am not a gun smith, however, I am will studied and versed in the errors of human thought, and or the absence thereof.

Give some thought, if you will, to becoming aware of the reasons behind the decision made by the J Stevens firearms action designers to drop the Model 44 action, and in its, place substitute the Model 44 1/2.

My above comments are predicated upon your decision to shoot your J.Steven M-44, and the possibility that a subsequent and owner may unknowingly shoot it.

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
The buildup of hammer was not a repair. It was a  addition. The rifle is chamberd for 22lr and as long as I own it that's what it will stay. The reason I modified it was I liked the reasoning behinde it. Belt ans suspenders syndrome. In my opinion the 44 is strictly a low pressure action😊

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Thanks Larry!

You have same basic rational as I for wanting a lugged hammer -- greater safety margin, more durable lockup. 

How much are you willing to share with us about how you modified an original Stevens hammer into a lugged hammer?

Even if I do have a lugged hammer installed, I doubt that I will  exceed by much, if any, the SAMMI max pressure for 32-20 (16.000 psi). Initial test shooting and collection of industry published pressure data suggest suitably small grouping target loads may have chamber pressures more like 12.000 - 14.000 psi for 100-130 gr bullets at 1300-1100 fps. For higher pressure/velocity hunting loads (perhaps up to 20.000 psi and 1700fps) I have an original Winchester LW hunting rifle that puts first few shots of HV 32-20 loads into subMOA groups.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 7:23am
Print Post  
If there is that much interest in them out there find a machine shop that does EDM work and reverse engineer the part then have them cut some. There will be a programming and setup charge but the parts will be spot on dimension wise as EDM is very accurate. Maybe make them a bit oversize in the lug area for fitting. Just my two cents worth.

JMHolland

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I agree with Mr. Holland. A wire EDM would cut the hammer to very precise tolerances, on the order of .0002" or better. A good shop would probably have a way to digitize an original hammer. Leave some additional mat'l on the lug for fitting, checker it, heat treat it and you're good to go. Make 10 and sell 9 blanks to pay for yours.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Good Morning fellow M44 owners!

l can see another group buy in my future, thanks to Mr. Holland's excellent suggestion. First steps seem a thread asking for show of interest in joining a group buy of lugged hammers, hopefully followed closely by identifying machinest(s) willing to make a bunch for a specific price each.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
Later,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I pestered an old, old friend whose machine shop contains a wire EDM.    He turned me down flat because (he says) he isn't licensed to make gun parts.  ANY gun parts.

Wire EDM is pretty slow, BTW.  Cost would be high.  But it could make the part from already-hardened steel, so the cost of heat treating would be eliminated.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
The twisty path is before us, likely replete with pros and cons about this and that.  Methods, costs, shops, operators, QC, installation, perhaps even ATF legalaties?

Something for everyone?
Grisen

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I'm not aware of any licensing requirements to make gun parts. It seems to be just a way to say he's not interested. Insurance requirements may require higher premiums. I know shops dealing in aircraft and aerospace parts pay higher premiums.

Yes wire EDM is slow but in most shops the process is unattended or one operator runs several machines in a cell. The process can make very precise parts. Waterjet is another way to cut out the blanks for the hammers. It is faster but not as accurate as EDM. A combination of the two may be the best way to go. Cut the blank with waterjet and then the sear notches with the wire EDM. Any way you go the hammers should be hand fitted to the rifle they will be used on for the best fit and function.   

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I'm not either, but he says he had a visit from ATF a few years ago over a small-parts job he'd taken in.  Maybe it was auto sears for ARs or something?   He knows next to nothing about guns.  Instrumentation and R&D is more his line.   

Meanwhile, the search goes on.   

Whether a machine runs unattended or not isn't the issue.  Amortizing purchase cost is.   

Say, I wonder if Steve Earle might be interested?

<div class=

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Okay, anybody actually have one of these in their possession?  If you do, put it on your scanner, and scan me a few jpegs, rotating the hammer 90 degrees each time, and flipping it over so that we have a different perspective from the other side.   I have several standard hammers that I can measure  and compare to get the sear and other dimensions right.

With the scans, I can create a CAD file and get a bid on producing a lot of them from 4140 prehard.  If the cost isn't too outrageous, I'll finance the lot and sell them.  What I would do is leave the lug generous in size, for final fitting.  Of course, the sears would also have to be finally fit too.

Anybody have one available to scan?

dave

Here's a similar one that I did that, and created the cad file that has the below image; ready for programming for 2 dimensional EDM or waterject production:

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2014 at 1:02pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks ssdave!

You just covered two items on my "Needs be done." list.

An alternative path for financing is to have some or all buyers pay in advance, either to you or to parts fabricator or someone else. This can be sliced and diced and modified in various ways to provide a workable procurement.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #35 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
The safety lug is a precise fit to each action. I had to do a lot of hand fiting with Prussian blue to get it correct 

Larry Tongue

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Larry,

Did you/was it needed to make any alteration to back end of breechblock?

Have you done enough shooting with that rifle since installing safety lug to get any indication if it is actually taking any load?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I already have a CAD file that's pretty close.  Only the sear notches area needs fixing-up.

I've been bit by bit trying to reverse-engineer the entire mechanism.

Sent you an email, Dave.

Phil

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2014 at 10:08pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #38 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
So far have not seen any ware due to loading. Action is verry tight only soot target 22lr so pretty litely loaded.

Larry

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Good Morning ssdave!

Where are we along path to contracting someone to make initial supply of lugged hammers? Do you have enough information to get quotes on cost and delivery times?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I put Phil's drawing on my computer and compared to a single hammer I pulled out of one of my actions.  There's substantial discrepancies.  I have a half dozen 44 stevens, I'm going to pull and scan each hammer and compare them and make a composite drawing that I think will work.  While I'm at it, I think I'll scan the block, trigger and frame and put the parts in relationship to each other in the drawing to make sure what I draw will have a good probability of working. 

I don't have access to the scanner I use for this now due to a remodel of the area where it's housed, but will be able to use it again in a week or so.  Then, just to find time to do the scans/drawings.  Won't be a matter of days, but I will get to it.  Working full time and running a business on the side cuts into my available time badly.

dave

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave,

Your timeline is OK with me. Especially since first attempt at checking consistancy of dimensions suggests expected variability from Stevens factory.

You seem personification of "If you want to get something done, find a busy person to do it."

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
The "discrepancies" Dave mentioned are in parts of the hammer that I had not finalized, and in an area where my hammer had been machined, I think for clearance for the "strut" type mainspring. 

Looking at my early 44 breechblocks, I see that the slot for the link is machined, and is more like what you'd want to engage the lug.  Center-extractor blocks are a casting, and the slot profile is a cast feature, not so congenial for lug engagement.

Food for thought.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2014 at 6:31pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Happily, my early M44 has a "7oclock" extractor. Next time I have breechblock, etc. out for cleaning and inspection I will take a close look at back end of breechblock, maybe take pictures too.

My M44 has same type hammer spring as shown in diagram you posted.

Would presume that the differences between "7 oclock" vs center extractors and milled vs cast breechblocks mean that Dave will need to collect data for each. Would you agree? 

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
No criticism of Phil's drawings was intended, my apologies if that was implied.  My thinking right now is that I need to compare a wide range of these, to see if there is any uniformity at all, so that a universal part can be made.  Or, if there are variances, which areas (if any) are standardized, so those can be designed in and which parts need "extra metal" to be fit by the gunsmith to the individual rifle.   

I have some range of 44's, so can at least get a good start on it.  May be a project that will work, and may not.  Dimensional variance in the actions will determine what works.

dave

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
These posts are bringing back memories...
A very good old smith now passed away remarked that when compared to Winchesters (original WRA), Stevens did a LOT of hand fitting of parts during assembly, so much so that he considered every Stevens rifle and every part in one to be basically a one-off. And he priced accordingly when working on Stevens.
I'm not trying to put a damper on things here, just wishing those who make the attempt a lot of patience determining the tolerance ranges, and also the best of success.      Smiley

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Not taking umbrage, Dave.   According to an old magazine article included in Kimmel's book on Savage and Stevens, the standard hammers at least were blanked out on a punch-press.   Not that they couldn't have changed the profile over the years, but I'd reckon it unlikely.    Even in those days a good set of dies could have made 50,000 parts, with periodic resharpening.

That said, the lugged hammers would have had to have different dies, or were blanked out in some different process.  It would still have to fit within the same frame geometry, so would likely not be very different,  but we really need to lay hands on a lugged hammer to see.    

I'd always assumed that the profiles were made by form cutters, just as they were in the Krag trigger machining processes, of which I have some good contemporary info.  But not so at Stevens.

<div class=

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #47 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 7:12am
Print Post  
I don't know what the original hammers were made of, but 8620 seems to be the appropriate steel for this, yes? Then case harden after fitting?

I'd buy one; maybe two. I planned on laser cutting some of these myself, but I still work full time, and just couldn't get to it. 

It seems if you leave the lug area "beefy" you should be fine. You could even let your imagination run wild on how to checker the hammer spur.

Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I had intended to do a separate post asking that folks wanting lugged hammers to tell us how many. I had delayed that until we have clear path forward to production, which may take a while. Now that LTC B has stated his interest in buying two, it really seems more practical for interested folks to post here.

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Kinda hard to ask people to say how many they'd want until we have some idea of cost.

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Phil,

Yes and maybe no. I am presuming that there is some number of folks that would like one or more, based on # of M44s they have/use. Some # of M44 owners seem already intent on installing one or more via their own capabilities. Is the potential market less than 10 or is it some multiple of 10? I have no idea presently. Does anyone?

I am sure price will affect extent of market. Those of us with a nice old M45, 47, 49, 51 that we use heavily are likely to have a different price point than someone with a rough standard M44. I suspect that those of us with higher grade M44s are more likely to benifit initially.

I would like to have some idea of market size. Dave probably does too.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
It really doesn't matter to me, except in an abstract way for curiosity of how many people really think this a thing that they need to do.  Most of the work is in doing the comparisons and building the model right.  That's the same regardless of how many are made.  If I'm able to reconcile dimensions to make something that should work okay, then I'll get quotes and find out if there's a threshold production quantity that makes economic sense.   

I'm doing this for amusement purposes, so if the cost is affordable, it will get done regardless of pre-committments, etc.  I'll also be able to make the file available if anybody things my cost is unreasonable and wants to pursue it themselves.

The costs as I see them are:

Unknown setup and fixturing job cost.
ground stock steel sheet cost at nominal per hammer
Cutout of individual hammers at $3 to $15 per square inch of cut, depending on process.
Postage and packaging.

The individual hammers will only have a couple of square inches of cut in them, so most of the cost will be in the setup and fixturing.

This also assumes that the hammers will be sold as a simple profile, and will require shaping, polishing, checkering, etc.  And hardening if needed.  If I take on that type of work, the cost would go way up as there's a couple hours per hammer in shaping, polishing and checkering.

First step, I'll get some consistent dimensions checked and see if it should work.

dave

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #52 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
CPA charges $40 for hammers with stirrup. That's a price comparison.

These guys are both doing it to make a living, and at volume. I would think the two would cancel out somewhat.

I think most folks' price point is above $40, but below $100 each.

What a wonderful project!

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Think I unnessarily implied that I was looking for "committment" to buy at this early stage when I was really interested in estimating number of self identified potential buyers.

Dave,
Thank you for your clear explanation of your position and intents.

Regards all,
Grisen

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Through unforeseen circumstances, I now have a lugged hammer action in my possession.  A rifle I bought today had one in it.  Be a few days before I have time to take it apart and see how it all fits together and compare to the standard hammer and block.

dave

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Serendipity !!!!!

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Thor smiled on us!!

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #57 - Dec 10th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Adding to this list:  I am 'Interested' in obtaining at least two "Lugged" hammers for Stevens Model 44 Actions I presently own.
I would also be interested in a version suitable for 1894 and 1915 Favorite Actions.  I know that it would be smaller than the '44' one so perhaps scaling of the File that cuts the '44' Blank would be possible?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #58 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I was able to mill a slot in my hammer and insert (press fit) a piece of key stock (machined) then pinned in place and fit up to breech block. It seems to work very well. I didn't see the need for a hardened lug as the block and hammer are not any harder. Will try to attach photo's

Brian
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:09am by Brian »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Thanks Brian!!

That looks like a valid method for modifying an existing hammer that is already fitted to a specific rifle.

Some quetions:
1) have you shot your rifle with this modification enough to know if the breechblock is actually exerting any force on the lug?
2) What would you estimate as time needed to make this modification, as well as tools needed.
3) Now that you have made this modification, could you provide Dave with information re dimensions of yours for comparison with his original lugged hammer?

Looking forward to understanding pros and cons of this method, as well as performance.

Thanks again,
Grisen

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #60 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Grisen,

I have not shot it yet (weather not great) but according to the lay-out dye the lug is taking some load.
  Time wise the measure twice - cut once method really slows down the process, but a real machinist wouldn't take long (I just like to tinker)
Tools needed -- milling machine,end mill,numbered drill bits & a worn out bit used as a pin & 1/4 " key stock, files, stones & felt tipped marker (works well to show contact) 
As far as my dimensions, they won't do Dave any good, as I purchased a blank breech block from Dave and machined it myself - so not o.e.m. specs. 
  Was a fun little project
         Brian

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Okay!  New information, at least to me.
Quote from Brian "As far as my dimensions, they won't do Dave any good, as I purchased a blank breech block from Dave and machined it myself - so not o.e.m. specs." Did you really mean hammer?

Does this quote mean that Dave has supply of blank M44 breech blocks (and/or hammers) that he or someone has made? To go a step more, does this mean that lugged hammers could be "mass produced" by same method as you used?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #62 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Grisen,

No I meant breech block!  Dave had a casting laying around, not sure where he acquired it.
Mass produced is a strong word (words) as each block & hammer need to be custom fit no matter if a new hammer is made by EDM or mods done to an  original hammer. As I said I like to tinker so I chose the mod way that I can do myself--GRATIFYING 
    Brian

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Last January I had an exchange with the proprietor of RES Manufacturing about breech blocks.   His reply was:
Quote:
I've not made them in a few years. Making just one or two is expensive for the customer, I used to do them in runs of 20-25 and price was 75 each. If you need that many or are able to round a some others interested in buying them I'd gladly get set up to do it.
Thank you,
Ryan

resmfg@gmail.com

I have what I assume is one of his breechblocks in a 44 I bought at auction a couple of years ago.   It is a nice piece of work. Never noticed that it wasn't original until I went to rebarrel the rifle this summer.
Quote:
  I've made them out of A2 in the past, mainly because I had a ton of it in thin bar stock. But the last couple batches were out of 4140. They hold up very well.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Brian & Phil!

You guys are keeping me on the low, steep part of learning curve about M44s and their parts supply! Please don't stop!!

Still, I keep getting impression that "mass produced" for M44 parts starts at something like a few "10"s. Still awaiting info about someone producing "100s" per run.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Grisen, 

After almost 15 years of fooling with 44s, I suspect that the number of people who would actively desire a new Stevens 44 hammer or breechblock in any given decade  would not make up an NFL roster.   It isn't a glamorous rifle like the High Wall or the Ballard, or even the 44 1/2.  Can't be made into a high pressure varmint slayer.  Most of them are prosaic .22 rimfires.  Wisner makes a few parts for them, and I'd love to be a fly on his wall to learn how many mainsprings and extractors he actually sells.  Notable that he doesn't make breechblocks or hammers. My impression from Rick (RES) is that it took him years to dispose of the small runs he made.  He had a fully rebuilt action for sale on Gunbroker, with his last breechblock in it, and it languished there for months at a price around $350 IIRC.      

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for calibration Phil!!

I had been looking for a nice range/target rifle in 32-20 for some time. My 32-20 Low Wall hunting rifle will put first few shots with HV hunting loads, from cold barrel, into sub MOA  but, then POI starts moving off POA quite significantly, like some of my other favorite hunting rifles. This Stevens M47 on 44 receiver was first nice 32-20 range rifle that came along at a price I was willing to pay. So far, the strange bore diameter is the only bothersome aspect, and I am still able to get into or near to sub MOA groups for at least 7-8/10 shots at 100yds. Functionally, mechanically and ergonomically, I could have spent $1000s more and not have a better shooting rifle for my use.

However, I would not have bought a plain M44 or 44,5, especially in 22RF.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #67 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Curious, I thought "Key Stock" was a low Carbon Steel, possibly 'cold rolled to size and sheared in to market lengths for use in making custom fitted replacement Keys for machinery.

Am I mistaken?

Also, my thought Processes say the 'Lug" to Breech Block Slot would need to be carefully fitted to get it so it would "bear" under discharge but not 'Slow' the Hammer fall.
My guess the Best fit would leave less than .0003" clearance when the Hammet has Dropped to the Firing Pin and the Pin is at depth of Ignition of the primer.

Perhaps a 'Wedging' type fit on a sloped slot so that the clearance starts wide and closed up as the hammer nears the Fired position?  I mean the Radius form the hammer pivot Center to the lug tip would be smaller than the Radius from the same pivot Center to the Lug top/Hammer face corner.

Would the 'Sloped portion of the Slot in the Breech Block need to be 'long' front to rear?  I do not know, but the actual Bearing area of the Lug/Slot should be such that the materials Elastic Limits are not exceeded under discharge forces.   

Whether the materials have 'Fatigue Limits under the conditions we are contemplating here needs to be determined.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #68 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Chev.

The key stock I used would be used for machines for keyed shafts or shear point etc. But in this application the force exerted is to the key length, approx. 5/8" rather than 1/4" (if this makes any sense) and in turn exerted on the hammer pin/screw and that dia. is quite small and not meant to carry a load. So the weak link of this lugged hammer would be the hammer screw   not?
  As far as fitment I did mine as you described, upon primer ignition the hammer won't drag, but an empty case w/no primer the hammer makes contact yet will not bind under block. 
  This is not meant to be a Rem RB as that hammer & pin are intended to carry the load, This should only share a very small part of the load and only if the rest of the action is up to a standard mild loaded cartridge.
  Also the lug and block angles need to match (as on a quality Rem RB) because of rebound of hammer by loose or blown primer or main spring failure etc. etc.

Just my thoughts  (maybe not worth much)

Brian

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
I agree with your thinking Brian.  The pinned-in part will be loaded only in compression, and the force goes straight to the pivot.  I'd still like something with a higher yield strength than key stock, though.  Might not get battered as quickly.

Brian wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:56am:
Chev.

Also the lug and block angles need to match (as on a quality Rem RB) because of rebound of hammer by loose or blown primer or main spring failure etc. etc.
          Brian

Exactly.  On page 3 of this thread  I posted a pic from an old catalog which shows the mating profile of the older side-extractor breechblock.  That is what is needed.  Using the lug with a center-extractor block isn't as good, because the internal profile is very different.  It would have to be welded-up and machined, at least. 

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Brian, Phil, others,

Given the geometric analogy with Remington rollers, as well as the amount of metal around the hole in hammer for load-bearing screw, it seems that hole could be made larger and a larger, stronger screw fitted. Yes, no, maybe? Pros and cons? IF "yes", how much larger could screw be made?

Are holes in Stevens made lugged hammers larger?

Another thought entered my mind. Can the Stevens hammer and firing pin function as inertial firing pin (perhaps with weak retraction spring on firing pin)? That is, does hammer hit firing pin forcefully enough for reliable ignition, even if lug on hammer retards forward movement of hammer in latter 50% or so of hammer travel??? IF so, could this allow tighter fitting of hammer lug to breechblock???

Why stop "halfway" in strengthening our M44 actions?

Regards,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2014 at 2:16pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #71 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Phil,
  I understand  that the lug may get battered so am planning on watching for it during break-in. If it starts to show any fault at that point maybe I can add some carbon to the surface. Realy don't want it too hard yet until the design is proven. Although hardening just the lug may be difficult as it is a press fit, will have to isolate from the hammer.
  Grisen,
    I am only interested in trying to replicate what Stevens has done. I'm sure you could enlarge the hole and istall a larger pin/screw,but to what end, this is still only a cast action 

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Brian,

QUOTE " I am only interested in trying to replicate what Stevens has done. I'm sure you could enlarge the hole and istall a larger pin/screw,but to what end, this is still only a cast action."

Are you implying that walls of cast receiver, where hammer pin/screw is, are so much thinner/weaker than where pins for lever & breechblock are, that little would/could be gained by installing a larger diameter pin/screw? I have not had mine apart to extent that I could determine wall thickness in area of hammer pin/screw.

I have no issue with your desire to only reproduce what Stevens did. Whether the logic of strengthening the new load-bearing point, that is a logical result of installing a hammer lug, leads to a significant increase in safety margin seems beyond any evidence yet presented in this discussion.    Also, at this point I have seen NO info about actual, verified issues with cast receivers for M47s, M49s, etc. on M44 receivers.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #73 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
No, I'm implying that this is a cast receiver in general of unknown cast quality and hidden voids.
  I have only seen the pics. of damaged breech blocks (somewhere on this sight  I believe) and several droopy levers from worn pins or other issues.
But a cast Ballard (or so It was said to be cast) blew up on the firing line at the Quigley a few years back. That should be enough to scare the Hell out of anyone!!
Anyway I'm just trying to take a gun in good working order, load it properly and maybe make it a little safer for me and especially others that could be in harms way.

Regards   
     Brian

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Brian,

I am coming from somewhat different background and presumptions, although our final goals for our Stevens rifles are much the same.

Yes, I know about that cast ballard. What % of cast ballards in apparent excellent condition, in 40-65 or similar cartridges, even with 20K++ psi nitro loads, have not failed? THAT is evidence I prefer.

I am also presuming that M44 receivers for much higher $$ rifles were made with more care and/or verification that they are sound than run-of-mill, low $$ M44s. Some of my best made firearms were produced in 1890s and heavily used in the 100++ years since, in part by me. They remain good, reliable shooters with ammo for which they were designed. I expect this Stevens M47 is another.

I am also much impressed by the metallurgical advances in 1880s and 1990s and the many quality designs of firearms from those decades. Mannlichers, Mausers, Sauers, Savages, Winchesters, Rigbys, H&H, Brownings, Stevens(?), Husqvarnas, Remingtons, to name a very few.

In addition, I expect that your approach to making a lugged hammer for M44s will prove viable, especially for individuals that have machining skills similar to yours.

We really don't have major differences in goals, even though our paths may differ.
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #75 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
@Brian - I think that comparing the 44 casting to the Ballard's is misleading.   I started to elaborate, but found myself writing a short novel, not a forum post.  Would happily expound in a P/M if you would like.

In any case it seems to me that our objective is to better distribute the thrust impulse, so that it's not all concentrated on little bitty pins, which deform themselves and their bores over many shots.  

Close fitting of the breechblock to the shoulders relieves the pivot pin, and the lugged hammer relieves the link and link pins.   We really should be figuring to do both.  Result will be a rifle that will preserve its' headspace far longer than a run-of-the-bog one will.

I also think that the cast breechblock used in the central extractor models is a liability.  The only fracture failures of any parts in a 44 that I'm aware of are at the breechblock pivot.  The block itself simply breaks in two there.     Reaming the hole and enlarging that pivot pin, to get a tighter fit, will only make matters worse, unless it is relieved by fitting the breechblock to the frame.    

I can't help but think about what was in Dick O'Brien's mind when Harley told him to keep on developing the old flathead KRTT engines in the face of the overhead valve onslaught from Britain, back in the '60s.   He did it so well that three of the five top qualifiers at Daytona in 1967 were Harleys, but it was already a lost cause.  I myself kept on developing a BSA Goldstar for Vintage racing in the '80s, knowing full well that Todd Henning would leave me for dead on his Honda.  Lost causes have a certain attraction, I guess.  

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:54pm:
...Lost causes have a certain attraction, I guess.

Sure they do... its part of the reason we buy these old dogs and do what we (try to) do with them, isn't it?      Smiley

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Phil,

You keep writing stuff like this and I am gonna start thinking I understand ...............!!!!

QUOTE:"In any case it seems to me that our objective is to better distribute the thrust impulse, so that it's not all concentrated on little bitty pins, which deform themselves and their bores over many shots."  

QUOTE:"Close fitting of the breechblock to the shoulders relieves the pivot pin, and the lugged hammer relieves the link and link pins.   We really should be figuring to do both.  Result will be a rifle that will preserve its' headspace far longer than a run-of-the-bog one will."

Much appreciated!
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #78 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I too have problems with blanket statements about 'Weak' Stevens Cast Receivers.
If they are so 'weak' many more would have broken by shattering since they were 'Case Hardened' similar to the failures in M1903 Early Receivers.  However, Hatcher in his Notebook says out of about 300,000 'Old' metal/Heat treat, only about 35 were reported as failing and those were mostly in 'abusive' Testing Service.

What I am saying is Stevens Did use Cast Steel NOT Cast IRON in his receivers.  Those on which I have touched a grinding wheel to surfaces Not Case hard, threw 'low Carbon' type Sparks.  Not those described as from grinding "high Carbon' Steels or Iron.

As to Pivot Sizes, It seems that the two model receivers I have here have thicker side walls in the way of the Hammer and Trigger screw holes than in the way of the Breech Block (BB) and Lever pivot/screw holes.

I have thought on possibly fitting headed pins with retaining screws like later M44 BB and Lever pivots seem to be.

This idea is also possible in 'Favorite' receivers to improve their pivots within the confines of their sizes.  The problem with Screws seems to be that the Threads are in one side of the load bearing areas for BB and Lever usually and hammer and trigger sometimes. Each version of the Actions is improved just by cutting screws that have the minimum or no thread showing on the inside of the receiver when tightened in place.  

I have purchased 'used original screws and even BBs and Levers that show Thread wear when threads are extended into the 'bearing' surfaces.

Another idea that occurred to me, but was set aside when I measured the 'margin' around a 1894 BB pivot screw holes, was to fit a hardened 'sleeve' through the BB to give more Bearing area and support to the Screw to BB joint in the receiver.  This might be doable with a '1915' style BB still but I have not yet considered it for the 1915 BBs.

Just my Thoughts on the Subject, your experiences may vary.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2014 at 9:27pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #79 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Moved here since it morphed into a gunsmithing topic and wanted to preserve the conversation.

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #80 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
RE: Stevens 44 Wall Thickness.
On Stevens Model 44 receiver sn 37249 marked "44" and "O" and using a Brown & Sharpe Model 13 0-1", .0001" Micrometer (reads to .0001" without interpolation).
  The Left side wall in the way of the hammer and trigger pivots measures .3532" thick and the Right side wall measures .3723" thick.
  The Lever pivot area Left side measures .2758" thick and the Right side measures .2498" thick.
  The Breech Block (BB) pivot areas are not accurately measurable with this Micrometer due to the wall to inside ledge at the Breech block and Lever openings interference with the anvil arm of this Micrometer.
   Using a Mitutoyo 0-1", .001" medium anvil length Micrometer, the hammer pivot area Left side measures .192" thick and the Right side measures .145" thick.

I only have this one '44' receiver disassembled at the moment so it is the one I measured.

Since the Lever opening measures .590" and the BB opening measures .600" in width using a Dial Caliper;and the outside width of this receiver is 1.110" by the same Dial Caliper, it stands to reason that the BB will have some space between the inside wall at the pivot point and the sides of the BB 'Ear(s)' which loads the pivot in Bending rather than near pure Shear. The Lever is a much closer fit and loads its pivot in almost exactly Shear.
  Also we can know that the trigger and hammer still load their pivots in mixed Bending and Shear due to Space between the inside walls and the respective items sides.

This would indicate that on THIS receiver, larger pivot diameter for the Hammer, and possibly using a through Pin instead of a Screw if a Lugged hammer is fitted.
  This particular receiver is fitted for .293" Diameter BB pivot and .292" Diameter Lever pivot using the separate coaxial screw retention method.  The Pivot Pins and Screws fitted are Replacements, products of "Muzzleloader Builders Supply", and are of modern Alloy Steels.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2014 at 6:52pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #81 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Thanks Chev!

Glad to hear "This would indicate that on THIS receiver, larger pivot diameter for the Hammer, and possibly using a through Pin instead of a Screw if a Lugged hammer is fitted." I will be checking if same is valid on mine.

I keep reading snippits/citations about actual strength/durability of cast steels being quite suitable as used in higher quality guns from about 1850s onward. Thanks for another reference!

Thanks again,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #82 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 1:42am
Print Post  
There are many differing opinions on the Strengths of various actions from the 1870 through the 1920s mostly, it seems, without Real Factual Data to support their positions.

J. Hatcher was an Officer involved with Springfield Armory and other Commands over his career and his 'NOTBOOK' is very interesting and informative reading. his discussions on the development of the Various Service Rifles, at least from "Krag" through the M1 Rifle, are detailed with information on troubles and failure analysis both proving some theories and Disproving others.  He includes detail summaries of the Failed M1903 Early Receivers and the Analysis that resulted in improved Receivers, both for the M1903 and for subsequent Military Rifles and Carbines.

Some of my past experiences are applicable to materials selection although it is not my major Career Area of Specialization, I am by training and education an Electronics Technician, and have worked as a Calibration technician and Associate Engineer, then as a Components Engineer before saying 'to H*** with this cycle of hire and layoff by the Project', and I joined the IBEW (Local 40) to work in the Movie Industry for the last few years.

I was for a time a member of ASM, AWS, SAE, ARRA, AIAA, and some others.  I am somewhat of a Machinist, as I can operate Lathes, Mills, and other Shop Tools from my Industrial Arts Classes in Junior College.  I do know how to Gas Weld and Braze/Solder but do not Electric Weld as I don't like the Long term effects on Vision I have witnessed in Professional Welders of my Acquaintance. 

I know All Materials have Cyclic Loading Fatigue Limits that can result in Failures under load with little warning leading up to the Final point of failure.  I also know that engineering, BEFORE the now ubiquitous Computer Aided Design Systems, left more 'margin of error' extra material in loaded items than our modern counterparts do.  Pre 1960 automobiles are still reparable.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2014 at 6:56pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Morning Chev!

Your background and experience are much like that of many essential persons I have relied on/contracted to build things we/I needed for various projects I was part of or in charge of. Without them we would have been totally at mercy of available commercial serial production lines, for better or worse or both. I am familier with many chemical, physical, mechanical, etc. things but was only ever a competent practicianer of a few.

I am part of the global human detritus from that collective insanity known as World War II in USA. For persons critical to me it really started in 1930s with China Civil War, followed by mass departure of non-chinese from Shanghai. Great for diverse experiences and a confusing background!

My involvement with old rifles started as a teen with a Winchester 1885 LW in 32-20, as did my addiction to 32-20s and single-shot rifles. This old Stevens M47 is just the latest in a series of rifles, hammer doubles, revolvers from latter half of 1800s-first decades of 1900s. I can report that ALL have given satisfactory to excellent service, some for extended periods. Many gun-savvy folks have been instrumental, even essential, in rehabing and safely using those old guns. Thanks to you and others here, especially Phil, I predict another "Happy Ending" with this old Stevens M47.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Adding another straw to this camel's load.....

Noticed last night that the Stevens catalogs list two hammer screws for the pre-1903 models - one is specifically called out as "Schuetzen".   Ditto for the breechblock pivot screw.     No illustration.   So...how are they different?  Am I going to sell off my grandchildren so I can buy a Model 52 to find out?  Stay tuned.......   

Merry Christmas everyone !

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Maybe they are the screws used for the 32/40 and 38/55 chamberings.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Well Phil, Maybe breechblock and lever screws in my M47 are "Schuetzen" screws -- all it lacks of full Schuetzen is handrest under forestock. Maybe the "25caliber" sized screws in mine are Schuetzener screws? But not the "22caliber" ones in most of your Stevens 44s? Could that save your grandchildren?

What size screws does frnkeore's ex-32-40 have?

Poor camel!! Deserves some Christmas hay.

Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Maybe.  We know that there are two sizes of breechblock/lever screws.  My 1894 M108 s/n 2023 they are .22 caliber, but this wreck I picked up with the .45-70 barrel on it (s/n 5426) has the .25 caliber screws, and it's a plain model, not a Schuetzen.  Ditto the last one I have, model 45, s/n 11583.   But all three hammer screws are the same.  Would interchange in fact.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Seem to recall JJ Grant mentioning that the Schuetzen frames were slightly wider than the field grade frames, so perhaps the Schuetzen screws are the same size but slightly longer.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
For whatever it is worth, on my M47 width of receiver and length of breechblock pin is 29,2mm/1,15in and at hammer screw is same, with additional 0.2mm elevation on rounded head of hammer screw.

Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #90 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:17pm:
For whatever it is worth, on my M47 width of receiver and length of breechblock pin is 29,2mm/1,15in and at hammer screw is same, with additional 0.2mm elevation on rounded head of hammer screw.

Same as my wreck s/n 5426.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #91 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Hummmm, Now I am beginning to think that perhaps my M47 is really a bunch of diverse parts: a) receiver with double set triggers, loop lever, "25cal" pins, 7 o'klock extractor, and well fitted forged breechblock, b) Lyman 1A tang sight, c) M47 stock + #3 buttplate, d) standard M44 forestock, e) barrel of confusing origin with non-standard bore, and f) a "rocky mtn" barrel sight that is way too high for Lyman 5A beech front sight. 

It is proving to be a good shooter. Reminds me of a higher quallity European underlever hammer double I have that was assembled during/after WW-2 from diverse parts and never totally fitted together, which I did. Deadly patterns with original-style BP loads and capable of 23-25/25s at BP trap shoots and deady on decoyed ducks.

Grisen

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #92 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
They are all a collection of parts. The question after a hundred years or so is who put them together and when? I have one of those I need to post pictures of to see what the experts think. I am pretty sure it was a standard 44 that had a lot of after the fact changes made but sometimes it is hard to tell who did what when.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #93 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 8:46pm:
They are all a collection of parts. The question after a hundred years or so is who put them together and when? I have one of those I need to post pictures of to see what the experts think. I am pretty sure it was a standard 44 that had a lot of after the fact changes made but sometimes it is hard to tell who did what when.

No argument from me.  Competition rifles especially get modified to the every successive owner's whims.   Still, what he's got is pretty close to a stock 47, except for the sights and that odd barrel.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #94 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
If you pull out your copy of JJ Grant's Single-Shot Rifles, and turn to page 71, you will find the following text for the Ideal Schuetzen No. 51:
"This was a heavier action, usually seen with the lug on hammer fitting into and under the breechblock, ..."

cont. on page 72:
"The weight of the No. 51, with the 30-inch #4 barrel, was around 12 1/2 pounds with the heavier Schuetzen frame, and 12 pounds with the regular lighter frame. ..."

cont. from bottom of page 72 onto page 73 for the Ideal Schuetzen Junior No. 52:
"This model was also offered in two weights of frames, the regular and the extra heavy. Both utilized the lug-on-hammer principle. ..."

cont. on page 73 for the Ideal Schuetzen Special No. 54:
"With the 30-inch barrel the rifle weighed 11 1/2 pounds. The heavy Schuetzen frame was also available in this model and with the same barrel raised the weight to 11 3/4 pounds. ..."

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #95 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks BP!

Weight alone differentiates my 9,0 lb M47 from those 12-12,5 lb M51 Schuetzen rifles.

I also suspect that some or more of the hints that I have received of schuetzen rifles on M44 receivers "always" having lugged hammers were/are based on just the information you quote from JJ Grant.

Anything about M47 re lugged hammers or other strengthening measures?

Thanks again for contributing to my short and swift course on Stevens M44 rifles.
Grisen

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #96 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Grisen,

Note that with regard to the Schuetzen frames, Grant says "... usually seen with the lug on hammer ... ", not always.

As Grant, beginning with the Model No. 44, proceeds upward through the model numbers giving the respective details for each, he makes no mention of the lugged hammer until he has passed the No. 4X models, and then proceeds to describe the No. 51, 52 and 54.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
BP,

OK, that would seem to settle that. Guess I will be the old guy that gets to "personalize" this old M47 with a lugged hammer -- maybe.

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #98 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
[quote author Grisen]For whatever it is worth, on my M47 width of receiver and length of breechblock pin is 29,2mm/1,15in and at hammer screw is same, with additional 0.2mm elevation on rounded head of hammer screw. [/quote]

[/quote author uscra112]Same as my wreck s/n 5426.  [/quote]

Phil,

Totally forgot to ask if your other M44 frames are same size or wider?

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #99 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
All the same.   I have 44s and 45s, nothing higher on the scale.

<div class=

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #100 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
RE: Pivot diameters on Model 44 Actions;  I got out the parts I set aside for sn 37249 and started measuring the pivot pins/screws with my Brown & Sharpe Model 13 Micrometer.

Breech Block Pin = .2928".
Lever Pin            = .2927".
Hammer Screw  =  .2227".
Trigger Screw     =  .1584".

I also noticed that the Trigger 'sear' is short as the 'Half Cock' hammer is sitting ON the BB Back surface, which will not work well.

Eyeballing, it looks like a 1/16" longer trigger sear tip would work to give the clearance needed for the BB to open wiht the Hammer in Half Cock Position.  Now i need to see if I have a suitable trigger or need to go looking some more on the Internet.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Hello!
Is there any "rhyme or rythym" to the different diameters of breechblock/lever pins? In this thread there are at least three:
1) some of Phil's are 0,22XX"
2) some of Phil's and mine are 0,25XX"
3) Chev. Williams' 0,29XX" from above post.

Also, re concern about strength of hammer screws for lugged hammers, Chev. Williams' reports 0,22XX for hammer screw on one of his M44s that does not have a lugged hammer. This diameter is in same "class" as the 0,22XX" breechblock and lever pins, noted above. Anyone have a diameter for screws on lugged hammers?

Thanks,
Grisen

Happy New Year!!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #102 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Grisen,

A good question might be who's rifle(s) survived in an unmodified condition for the six score of years since the 44 was introduced, and would still contain the original sized pins and screws as supplied by the factory?

Happy New Year!

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #103 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 12:04am
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:05pm:
Hello!
Is there any "rhyme or rythym" to the different diameters of breechblock/lever pins? In this thread there are at least three:
1) some of Phil's are 0,22XX"
2) some of Phil's and mine are 0,25XX"
3) Chev. Williams' 0,29XX" from above post.

Thanks,
Grisen

Happy New Year!!

There is.   

The solid frame 44 was first introduced in 1894 as the "New Ideal".   Jim Grant believed that the serial numbers used for the "sideplate" models were carried on, and that the solid frames started about s/n 2000. My Model 108 New Ideal with the ".22 caliber" screws is s/n 2023, which is thus very early.   I have not logged any other rifles that are clearly 1894 style New Ideals in my database.  

In 1896 Joshua Stevens retired, the direction of the company was taken over by Irving Page, (the CFO), and the basic rifle was re-designated Model 44.  As far as I can see the ".25 caliber" screws start there, around s/n 4500, (maybe,  I'm a little unsure as I am judging screw size by photos until I get to my s/n 5426, which has the .25 caliber screws.) 

Around 1902/03 the design was changed to a 2-part "bolt" that was passed thru the frame and retained by a screw coming in from the right side.  This is the ".29xx" size that Chev William mentions.  There was no change after that, right up to 1940 when the very last rifles of the basic design were made.   The vast majority of Model 44s were sold after 1903.     

The high grade rifles with the lugged hammer fall between 1896 and 1903, as I see it, since from 1903 on the high grade rifles were made only on the 44 1/2 action. 

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #104 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
OK! Thanks! Is nice to see something systematic in what was begining to seem a little too "random" for comfort.

My M47 fits nicely in the 0,25XX class, with its breechblock and lever screws that really are screws and its 466X serial number. So, the only clear "modification" to receiver/action is the knurling of breechblock screw. 

And even the strange bore in barrel now seems to have a comfortingly rational explanation -- someone rebored and rifled it for Stevens' varient of .32RF bore and then it ended up with a more or less standard 32-20 chamber.

Now, hopefully, this year I will be able to further this zig-zaggy history by adding a new, slightly oversized breechblock screw,  a lugged hammer, and, maybe, get bore refreshed to more normal/modern 32-20 specs.

My thanks to everyone that has contributed to this understanding of a nice old rifle's life history!!

Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #105 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks - your s/n pushed the boundary for the screw size change downward a bit for me.  Up to now the lowest number that I could say for dead certain was large screws was my 5426.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Happy to have this old rifle become a "benchmark". 

Regards,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:54pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #107 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Further 'puttering' with my "44" action and parts indicates that a 3/16" (.1875") diameter Dowel Pin may fit the two link pivot locations.   I find that McMaster-Carr lists a 1/2" and a 5/8" length Dowel Pin from various Stainless Steel alloys and also Tool Steel Alloy with a C60 Hardness for Strength (and wear Resistance).  They also list oversize pins if they are needed.
I also find that 5/32" (.15625") Dowel Pins are slightly large for Favorite link pivot pins, so those holes will need to be reamed slightly;BUT Be Careful to keep the Lever and Breech Block holes Tight to hold the pin from moving sideways.
Another Thought: Numerich has some Marlin Model 56, 57, 57M, 60, 62 Action 'rear attach pins and screws' that might work for a Favorite Action enlarged pivots.
These pins attached the Trigger/hammer/bolt/Lever/ group to the Receiver so might be of good alloy steel.  This pin took the reaction forces from firing .30 M1 Carbine and .256 Win. Mag. cartridges in this action.
Best Regards,
Chev. William
Added 201401062035PST:  UPS came late today and delivered a pair of McMaster-Carr boxes.  They had my order of Dowel Pins 5/32", 3/16" and 0.001" oversize 3/16 diameter pins.
The 5/32" pins fit my 1915 Favorite Link Pivots.
The 3/16" nominal pin fits the "44" Breech block to Link Pivot holes,  The 3/16" oversize is slightly free in the "44" Lever holes but slightly tight in the Link Hole, so it appears to turn in the Lever when the Action is cycled.
I now have the "44" Receiver and Breech Block working TIGHT when the Action is Closed, the Back fo the Breech Block shows 'witness lines' from the Shoulders fo the Receiver so it is setting tight against both shoulders when in Battery, the lever does not spring tightly against the lower tang though, so there is still some 'play' in the two pivots (light shows between Tang and Lever as a fine sliver).  Next is to workout the Firing pin mods to make this block able to switch between RF and CF operation. Chev.William
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2015 at 11:48pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #108 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Found a "Too Short, pivot to sear tip, Trigger and had a Certified Welder add some "Hard Face Alloy' Weld Bead to the Sear tip. now I need to shape and smooth the Bead to fit my hammer.  This is a 'putter' job tha twill keep me occupied of ra while as it entails repeated installation of the Hammer and Trigger in the Receiver with layout color on the Hammer to show where the Sear tip is striking it, then removing the parts to inspect and 'stone/file slightly, then re-coat and reinstall.  Taking off a small amount at a time until the sear will seat in the 'Full Cock' notch of the hammer, then Very Slowly stoning it to hold the hammer at the 'Half Cock' proper distance from the rear of the Breech Block and firing pin.    I am still hoping to find an original trigger fo proper length, though.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #109 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Received a Used trigger today so Now I have an original to use in my build along with the Welded one as a Spare.

Thank you all for helping.
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #110 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 1:02am
Print Post  
A few more measurements:
Stevens '44' Side extractor receiver sn 6939 measures 1.109" wide.
Measured with the same Dial Caliper, Stevens '44' Center Extractor receiver sn 37249 measures 1.102" wide.

Both were 'soaked in the Same temperature room with the Dial Caliper for two days.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #111 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 1:22am
Print Post  
There is a Stevens '44' Lugged hammer blank (appears to be either Wire EDM or Hydro cut) on Ebay at the moment.  Already over $30.00 bid and climbing.  it says it is out of 1018 Steel.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I'm the one who posted the pictures of the broken 44 breach block a while back. I get M44s in often for repair or rebarrel but never have more than two at a time to compare. All the ones I have seen in 32-40 or 38-55 were loose from shooting to hot a load and the hammer lug was battered. The two breach blocks that were broken was from someone taking a 25-20 and chambering it to 25-35. I relined the barrel back to 25-20 and made a new breach block from heat treated 4140 which can be machined, just takes a bit longer. One of the main problems I see with the 44 is a poor fit of the breach block to the frame which leaves all the stress on the pivot pins. If the breach is not touching the frame at the rear then the extra lug on the hammer is not going to help. Probably the best idea for coming up with luged hammers would be to contact the seller of the one on ebay and ask him where he got the one for sale, he might be the maker testing the field to see if they are worth making.
My own personal 44 came to me chamber in 256 Win mag, The barrel was quickly removed and it now has a 44-40 barrel. there are some that questioned this but the 44-40 is the largest caliber the 44 came in and is loaded to probably lowest chamber pressure, having  lower bolt thrust than the 28-30.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #113 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
It is someone 'testing the water' I think as the Seller has other 'blank parts' listed on Ebay.  Now if i can get him to make a couple out of 4140 or even 4130 it would make building up a 'lugged hammer' model 44 much easier.

I will be emailing the seller about the idea today.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Tell him that there's at least one potential buyer here that won't touch eBay with a barge pole, (due to Paypal).

<div class=

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #115 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
The lugged hammer and other parts are from Rodney Storey. I am sure if you contact him directly an accomodation can be reached.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jim H.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #116 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Hope someone can come up with a direct email.  As I posted above, eBay and I parted brass rags a couple of years ago.   I see he has an extractor, too, but it's not the right shape.   IMHO the hammer should be a higher carbon steel, so that it can be through hardened, to help withstand  the battering that John mentioned.  Breechblock he's selling will be a poor choice if the back radius is not sufficiently large as to make contact with the frame shoulders.   The more I see of the Model 44, the more I realize that replacement parts are not "drop-in", except maybe for .22 rimfires.  Still, if the guy has the machinery and is willing, he can make useful parts for us.  Just need to have the right materials and dimensions.  

<div class=

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #117 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Never had a problem with casehardened mild steel hammers or tumblers, in fact, prefer them. Harder sear notch, less brittle safety notch and no battering. Never done it but would guess a casehardened lugged hammer would hold up just fine.
Chuck

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #118 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:23pm:
Hope someone can come up with a direct email.  As I posted above, eBay and I parted brass rags a couple of years ago.   I see he has an extractor, too, but it's not the right shape.   IMHO the hammer should be a higher carbon steel, so that it can be through hardened, to help withstand  the battering that John mentioned.  Breechblock he's selling will be a poor choice if the back radius is not sufficiently large as to make contact with the frame shoulders.   The more I see of the Model 44, the more I realize that replacement parts are not "drop-in", except maybe for .22 rimfires.  Still, if the guy has the machinery and is willing, he can make useful parts for us.  Just need to have the right materials and dimensions.  

I have communicated with Mr.Storie regarding custom production of various machine parts.
He seems interested in considering different projects if they are within his capacity to produce them. 
He advised that it is best to supply a to-scale scan of the part needed, OR a detailed mechanical drawing with ALL pertinent dimensions.
Apparently he has access to a water jet machine through some venue he is involved in, but is limited to the amount of time he can access it.
I would assume he could produce these parts form any material  desired, as long as it was cost effective.
If I can get his permission, I will post his contact info.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #119 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Hello,
  this is Rodney Storie, I was finally able to register thanks to whoever is keeping this forum up . thank you very much.  I do have limited access to a water jet machine. I am teaching machine shop classes day time and evenings till summer break, so my time is limited too. But got a couple more years till I retire then get busy with the single shot stuff.
    Regarding the 44 lugged hammers , Bruce Nelson kindly loaned me his to copy and will be sending me the info on the breech block to draw up and cut. anyway I have found some 4142 prehardened steel i may cut them from if that seems to what is wanted. PM if interested.
    Regarding the castings I used to do, I have none on hand and don't expect to make any till I retire, that's the plan at this time. glad to be back. Grin

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #120 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:46am
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:14pm:

Regarding the castings I used to do, I have none on hand and don't expect to make any till I retire, that's the plan at this time. glad to be back. Grin

We can start the line here... right behind me  Grin

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #121 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Excellent !

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #122 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Good News!! 

Please put me high on list for one!! 

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #123 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Searching for 4140, 8620, 4150, and 4142 on Google with mixed results.
a piece of 4140 Rectangular bar 5/8" by 3" by 12" seems to run about $37.50
8620 seems to be a little higher.
Did not find 4150 in small pieces.
4142 seems to run more for the same size piece.

There are also Tool Steels listed by process rather than alloy designation (O1 or A1 rather than a alloy designation number).

Perhaps others will have better luck finding suitable alloy small piece sources.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #124 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Perhaps a note about alloys:
The WW2 manufacture of M1 Rifles used several steels but mostly 4140 and 8620 with suitable Case hardening and/or Heat treating and Tempering.
The M1 rifle was tested with "proof Powder" loads of increasing strengths up to and including Full Cartridge Case loadings.  NO Mi Rifle Receiver nor Bolt Ever Failed to function.
In fact the Receiver and bolt from the Highest loaded 'proof' cartridge were then fired with 5000 rounds of service (.30 M1 Ball) ammunition after the proof test.

So I believe either 4140 or 8620 would be suitable for these blanks and by extension 4142 should also be quite acceptable.

Does anyone have other preferences?
Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #125 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Welcome, Rodney,

Glad to see you here and making parts.  I saw the 44 hammer you had on ebay a week ago, was going to contact you and see if you would make the lugged version from my drawing when I completed it.  You've skipped ahead of that step, so great!

I purchased the .450 - 3 1/4" Fields from you a few years ago.  It's my favorite rifle to take to the range.

dave

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #126 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
This might scare some of you but why not make them out of 12L14 if they are going to be case hardened, Thats what reloading dies are made of and they seem to hold up just fine. Another one that might work is 1045 which can be heat treated.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #127 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
glad you are enjoying the Field. Regarding the alloys for single shot gun parts like the M44 lugged hammer, personally I like to use mild steel (1018) and fit and case it well ,as most orginals were done. like John said it is much easier for an hobbiest to do successfully. But having said that I will proably order some prehardened 4142 to make a batch of hammers and breechblocks. Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. Grin

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #128 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I'd like to see a steel with a higher yield point for the hammer in particular.  John pointed out that the lug shows the battering when the steel is low carbon.  No case hardening will prevent that.    

BTW I am a believer in 12L14 too.  Also have some 41L40 that I bought to use for making breechblocks and hammers myself.  Had to buy it in round bar form, though.  There will be a lot of waste.    

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #129 - Mar 5th, 2015 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Unless you're going to do it yourself, someone's probably going to have to checker the spur of the hammer before heat-treating, so you might want to call your favorite engraver to get their input on alloy as well.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #130 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Sadly, I have no 'favorite Engraver' around me.  The last 'Engraving' I had done was by a 'Trophy' Shop and they used a pantograph machine to do it on Flat surfaces.

The two gun shop recommended Engravers declined to work on one of my 1915 Actions that has faint markings, the said they don't do Lettering.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #131 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Try Gunfancy.com

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #132 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reference, I will check them out.

On  the Ebay Auction for the unfinished Blank Lugged '44' Hammer, the bidding is getting 'scary' to me:
     Bidder Click here to know more about anonymous user IDs      Bid Amount      Bid Time      
     Member Id: 9***o ( 1245Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)         US $51.00      
Mar-05-15 07:29:24 PST

Member Id: o***l ( 9 )         US $50.00      
Mar-04-15 13:37:16 PST

Member Id: 1***7 ( 2003Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)         US $46.00      
Mar-04-15 14:26:19 PST

Member Id: 9***o ( 1245Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)         US $41.00      
Mar-04-15 13:15:12 PST

Member Id: o***l ( 9 )         US $40.00      
Mar-03-15 14:33:31 PST

Member Id: 9***o ( 1245Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)         US $38.00      
Mar-04-15 13:15:10 PST

Member Id: 1***7 ( 2003Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)         US $35.00      
Mar-01-15 18:27:01 PST

Member Id: chev42gpw ( 782Feedback score is 500 to 999)         US $30.00      
Mar-01-15 10:22:07 PST

Member Id: 1***7 ( 2003Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)         US $25.00      
Mar-01-15 18:26:46 PST

Member Id: 4***8 ( 14Feedback score is 10 to 49)         US $21.00      
Mar-01-15 17:32:14 PST

Member Id: 4***8 ( 14Feedback score is 10 to 49)         US $19.50      
Mar-01-15 17:31:35 PST

Starting Price         US $19.00      
Feb-28-15 19:10:36 PST

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #133 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Something that you should be considering, is that the hammer rotates on what is most likely a mild steel screw shank and making it out of high strength alloy, won't increase the strenght of the lock up but, only the wear quality of the hammer.

Shear strenghts are 1/2 of what tensile strengths are and the screw is in shear.

A grade 8 screw with a cased, mild steel hammer would be stronger.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #134 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
The Other Characteristic we are looking for is the Ability to withstand a Large number of Impacts on both the Hammer striking face and the Lug locking face Plus toughness to avoid 'mushrooming and withstand breaking/erosion of the Sear, half cock, and caming/spring contact surfaces.
A pivot screw can be made of material which will also support shear loads well while being somewhat 'sacrificial to the Hammer, which is much more time consuming to make as a Replacement.

by the way, the Blank auction closed at around $55.00 if I remember correctly.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #135 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
by the way, the Blank auction closed at around $55.00 if I remember correctly.

How many here where bidding against each other?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #136 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 1:33am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Mar 8th, 2015 at 2:14pm:
Something that you should be considering, is that the hammer rotates on what is most likely a mild steel screw shank and making it out of high strength alloy, won't increase the strenght of the lock up but, only the wear quality of the hammer.

Shear strenghts are 1/2 of what tensile strengths are and the screw is in shear.

A grade 8 screw with a cased, mild steel hammer would be stronger.

Frank

True enough.  Wear life is what we're after, though.   

Nonetheless, I too have been thinking about using a stronger screw - easy to make from a grade 8 bolt, as you say.  And increasing the screw diameter to .250" from the .226" that Stevens used.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2015 at 1:42am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

John P.

Reply #137 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Hi All, Newbie here. Just recently got a Stevens 44 in .25-20SS after an extensive 3 year search of auctions and dealers both local and online. As I focused on the Model 44 over Dec. thru Feb. I noted the details provided by the photos - which might be of some interest to this group.

My initial source was limited to Frank DeH. excellent book. He notes that the Stevens 44 of 1894 underwent changes mostly in the early years after 1900. Details of the changes are noted and explained but not the sequence especially regarding relation to serial/nos. So I recorded all I could from intenet sales or auctions. This is what I hope is useful empirical data.

Production began with the Early model 44 which was a large version of the Favorite rimfire rifles. These have Extractors in the 7o'clock position and Screws threaded into right side of frame.

Then the Screws for the Breech Block and Lever were changed to the stronger "Pins with Captive Screws" which I call the Middle version.

The Late version has the Pins and the Extractor now in the 6o'clock position.

Later versions have other improvements such as the "Spring and Plunger" in the Lever to prevent droop.

After tracking about 35 examples of model 44s - ONLY in .25-20SS these are my observations:

S/N's 85xx and 11243 are Early versions. #'s 14889 and 15871 are Middle versions. #'s 17938 and 18295 are Late versions. All higher S/N's that had enough detailed photos were Late.

A dealer on Gun Broker "Dukes Guns" included this info - "S/N's 25000 to 55000 were produced from 1907 to 1912. Don't know where this came from, however it fits a timeline that has S/N's 15871 and 17983 bracket the Middle to Late transition being made about 1903 or '04.

So I felt confident when I found mine that it was a Late version. This is what I got: a Stevens Model 44 in .25-20SS cal. S/N 42292 with a 28" No. 2 weight barrel, standard Ideal rifle. It has the Pins and 6o'clock extractor and the Lever Plunger/Spring so is a Later version.

JP

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #138 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Good work.   Been doing the same.   Sent you a P/M so we can compare notes.

Phil W.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #139 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Mar 4th, 2015 at 9:14pm:
glad you are enjoying the Field. Regarding the alloys for single shot gun parts like the M44 lugged hammer, personally I like to use mild steel (1018) and fit and case it well ,as most orginals were done. like John said it is much easier for an hobbiest to do successfully. But having said that I will proably order some prehardened 4142 to make a batch of hammers and breechblocks. Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. Grin

Rodney,

Could you update us on prospects for "a batch of hammers and breechblocks"?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #140 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Yes I finally got a batch done. I have it under for sale.  thanks

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #141 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Here are some photos of the lugged hammer and b block, the 44 hammer and b block and the water jet cut parts. notice the undercut on the breechblock. the original lugged hammer only locked up on the firing pin on this sample.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #142 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
more pics

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #143 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #144 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Rodneys,

In your pictures you show original breechblocks for both 7 oklock and 6 oklock extractors but blanks only for 6 oklock. Is buyer expected to have your blank further machined for 7 oklock, or, is a batch of breechblocks for 7 oklock extractors yet to come?

My old Stevens M47 on 44 receiver has 7 oklock extractor. 

Thanks,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2015 at 12:03pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #145 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Speaking for Rodney....the blanks can be machined into either one.  And making a side extractor block is actually easier than making a center extractor version.   

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #146 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks Phil!

I will buy a breechblock blank from Rodney along with a lugged hammer block. 

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #147 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I have two of each, BB and Hammer, on order with payment via PayPal transfer.
Looking forward to receiving the parts in the Mails.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #148 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
My parts have arrived.  Thank you Rodney.
Chev. William

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint