Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1885 coil spring (Read 2469 times)
tdelewis

1885 coil spring
Apr 25th, 2015 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
There is a youtube video on disassembly of an 1885 low wall but it is a flat spring.  I like to see one on a coil spring or some good directions.  I don't want to have a spring fly across the room and then not know how to get it back in again.  I'm not a gunsmith, but I want to know what I'm doing.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1885 coil spring
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Been a while, but I recall the spring staying on the hammer when the ends are removed from the block. It doesn't go flying anywhere.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
The spring stays around the lugs on the hammer. No reason to take it off unless it's in the way of working on the hammer itself. Well, it could be broken, but I never saw one that was. I would advise taking a look at how it comes out of the block so you will be familiar with it during reassembly. It's actually easier than the flat spring rifle to work on. Pat

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Lewis, the coil spring for the hammer is not a puny thing. Hard to lose track of. The one you should be concerned about is the lever tension spring. It often goes un noticed when the Rifle is taken apart by some one who is not aware of it's existence. It is under the lever and is inside a small plunger that bears on the lever to keep it tight, it is up in the front section of the receiver. It can easily fall out during disassembly and not noticed. The Plunger is about 1/4" in diameter and less than 3/8" long and the spring that tensions it is even smaller and shorter. These are not often found for sale and are a pain in the butt to make new, Trust me. HTH, Regards. FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 8:29am
Print Post  
C. Sharps will sell you a new spring & plunger/cap for the lever should you need one.
And, amen on reassembly of a coil-spring gun compared to a flat-spring gun. No comparison on the ease with which each goes back together.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint