Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 83164 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #90 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:17pm:
For whatever it is worth, on my M47 width of receiver and length of breechblock pin is 29,2mm/1,15in and at hammer screw is same, with additional 0.2mm elevation on rounded head of hammer screw.

Same as my wreck s/n 5426.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #91 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Hummmm, Now I am beginning to think that perhaps my M47 is really a bunch of diverse parts: a) receiver with double set triggers, loop lever, "25cal" pins, 7 o'klock extractor, and well fitted forged breechblock, b) Lyman 1A tang sight, c) M47 stock + #3 buttplate, d) standard M44 forestock, e) barrel of confusing origin with non-standard bore, and f) a "rocky mtn" barrel sight that is way too high for Lyman 5A beech front sight. 

It is proving to be a good shooter. Reminds me of a higher quallity European underlever hammer double I have that was assembled during/after WW-2 from diverse parts and never totally fitted together, which I did. Deadly patterns with original-style BP loads and capable of 23-25/25s at BP trap shoots and deady on decoyed ducks.

Grisen

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #92 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
They are all a collection of parts. The question after a hundred years or so is who put them together and when? I have one of those I need to post pictures of to see what the experts think. I am pretty sure it was a standard 44 that had a lot of after the fact changes made but sometimes it is hard to tell who did what when.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #93 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 8:46pm:
They are all a collection of parts. The question after a hundred years or so is who put them together and when? I have one of those I need to post pictures of to see what the experts think. I am pretty sure it was a standard 44 that had a lot of after the fact changes made but sometimes it is hard to tell who did what when.

No argument from me.  Competition rifles especially get modified to the every successive owner's whims.   Still, what he's got is pretty close to a stock 47, except for the sights and that odd barrel.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #94 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
If you pull out your copy of JJ Grant's Single-Shot Rifles, and turn to page 71, you will find the following text for the Ideal Schuetzen No. 51:
"This was a heavier action, usually seen with the lug on hammer fitting into and under the breechblock, ..."

cont. on page 72:
"The weight of the No. 51, with the 30-inch #4 barrel, was around 12 1/2 pounds with the heavier Schuetzen frame, and 12 pounds with the regular lighter frame. ..."

cont. from bottom of page 72 onto page 73 for the Ideal Schuetzen Junior No. 52:
"This model was also offered in two weights of frames, the regular and the extra heavy. Both utilized the lug-on-hammer principle. ..."

cont. on page 73 for the Ideal Schuetzen Special No. 54:
"With the 30-inch barrel the rifle weighed 11 1/2 pounds. The heavy Schuetzen frame was also available in this model and with the same barrel raised the weight to 11 3/4 pounds. ..."

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #95 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks BP!

Weight alone differentiates my 9,0 lb M47 from those 12-12,5 lb M51 Schuetzen rifles.

I also suspect that some or more of the hints that I have received of schuetzen rifles on M44 receivers "always" having lugged hammers were/are based on just the information you quote from JJ Grant.

Anything about M47 re lugged hammers or other strengthening measures?

Thanks again for contributing to my short and swift course on Stevens M44 rifles.
Grisen

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #96 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Grisen,

Note that with regard to the Schuetzen frames, Grant says "... usually seen with the lug on hammer ... ", not always.

As Grant, beginning with the Model No. 44, proceeds upward through the model numbers giving the respective details for each, he makes no mention of the lugged hammer until he has passed the No. 4X models, and then proceeds to describe the No. 51, 52 and 54.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
BP,

OK, that would seem to settle that. Guess I will be the old guy that gets to "personalize" this old M47 with a lugged hammer -- maybe.

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #98 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
[quote author Grisen]For whatever it is worth, on my M47 width of receiver and length of breechblock pin is 29,2mm/1,15in and at hammer screw is same, with additional 0.2mm elevation on rounded head of hammer screw. [/quote]

[/quote author uscra112]Same as my wreck s/n 5426.  [/quote]

Phil,

Totally forgot to ask if your other M44 frames are same size or wider?

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #99 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
All the same.   I have 44s and 45s, nothing higher on the scale.

<div class=

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #100 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
RE: Pivot diameters on Model 44 Actions;  I got out the parts I set aside for sn 37249 and started measuring the pivot pins/screws with my Brown & Sharpe Model 13 Micrometer.

Breech Block Pin = .2928".
Lever Pin            = .2927".
Hammer Screw  =  .2227".
Trigger Screw     =  .1584".

I also noticed that the Trigger 'sear' is short as the 'Half Cock' hammer is sitting ON the BB Back surface, which will not work well.

Eyeballing, it looks like a 1/16" longer trigger sear tip would work to give the clearance needed for the BB to open wiht the Hammer in Half Cock Position.  Now i need to see if I have a suitable trigger or need to go looking some more on the Internet.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Hello!
Is there any "rhyme or rythym" to the different diameters of breechblock/lever pins? In this thread there are at least three:
1) some of Phil's are 0,22XX"
2) some of Phil's and mine are 0,25XX"
3) Chev. Williams' 0,29XX" from above post.

Also, re concern about strength of hammer screws for lugged hammers, Chev. Williams' reports 0,22XX for hammer screw on one of his M44s that does not have a lugged hammer. This diameter is in same "class" as the 0,22XX" breechblock and lever pins, noted above. Anyone have a diameter for screws on lugged hammers?

Thanks,
Grisen

Happy New Year!!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #102 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Grisen,

A good question might be who's rifle(s) survived in an unmodified condition for the six score of years since the 44 was introduced, and would still contain the original sized pins and screws as supplied by the factory?

Happy New Year!

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #103 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 12:04am
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:05pm:
Hello!
Is there any "rhyme or rythym" to the different diameters of breechblock/lever pins? In this thread there are at least three:
1) some of Phil's are 0,22XX"
2) some of Phil's and mine are 0,25XX"
3) Chev. Williams' 0,29XX" from above post.

Thanks,
Grisen

Happy New Year!!

There is.   

The solid frame 44 was first introduced in 1894 as the "New Ideal".   Jim Grant believed that the serial numbers used for the "sideplate" models were carried on, and that the solid frames started about s/n 2000. My Model 108 New Ideal with the ".22 caliber" screws is s/n 2023, which is thus very early.   I have not logged any other rifles that are clearly 1894 style New Ideals in my database.  

In 1896 Joshua Stevens retired, the direction of the company was taken over by Irving Page, (the CFO), and the basic rifle was re-designated Model 44.  As far as I can see the ".25 caliber" screws start there, around s/n 4500, (maybe,  I'm a little unsure as I am judging screw size by photos until I get to my s/n 5426, which has the .25 caliber screws.) 

Around 1902/03 the design was changed to a 2-part "bolt" that was passed thru the frame and retained by a screw coming in from the right side.  This is the ".29xx" size that Chev William mentions.  There was no change after that, right up to 1940 when the very last rifles of the basic design were made.   The vast majority of Model 44s were sold after 1903.     

The high grade rifles with the lugged hammer fall between 1896 and 1903, as I see it, since from 1903 on the high grade rifles were made only on the 44 1/2 action. 

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #104 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
OK! Thanks! Is nice to see something systematic in what was begining to seem a little too "random" for comfort.

My M47 fits nicely in the 0,25XX class, with its breechblock and lever screws that really are screws and its 466X serial number. So, the only clear "modification" to receiver/action is the knurling of breechblock screw. 

And even the strange bore in barrel now seems to have a comfortingly rational explanation -- someone rebored and rifled it for Stevens' varient of .32RF bore and then it ended up with a more or less standard 32-20 chamber.

Now, hopefully, this year I will be able to further this zig-zaggy history by adding a new, slightly oversized breechblock screw,  a lugged hammer, and, maybe, get bore refreshed to more normal/modern 32-20 specs.

My thanks to everyone that has contributed to this understanding of a nice old rifle's life history!!

Grisen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Send TopicPrint