Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 83156 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #75 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
@Brian - I think that comparing the 44 casting to the Ballard's is misleading.   I started to elaborate, but found myself writing a short novel, not a forum post.  Would happily expound in a P/M if you would like.

In any case it seems to me that our objective is to better distribute the thrust impulse, so that it's not all concentrated on little bitty pins, which deform themselves and their bores over many shots.  

Close fitting of the breechblock to the shoulders relieves the pivot pin, and the lugged hammer relieves the link and link pins.   We really should be figuring to do both.  Result will be a rifle that will preserve its' headspace far longer than a run-of-the-bog one will.

I also think that the cast breechblock used in the central extractor models is a liability.  The only fracture failures of any parts in a 44 that I'm aware of are at the breechblock pivot.  The block itself simply breaks in two there.     Reaming the hole and enlarging that pivot pin, to get a tighter fit, will only make matters worse, unless it is relieved by fitting the breechblock to the frame.    

I can't help but think about what was in Dick O'Brien's mind when Harley told him to keep on developing the old flathead KRTT engines in the face of the overhead valve onslaught from Britain, back in the '60s.   He did it so well that three of the five top qualifiers at Daytona in 1967 were Harleys, but it was already a lost cause.  I myself kept on developing a BSA Goldstar for Vintage racing in the '80s, knowing full well that Todd Henning would leave me for dead on his Honda.  Lost causes have a certain attraction, I guess.  

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:54pm:
...Lost causes have a certain attraction, I guess.

Sure they do... its part of the reason we buy these old dogs and do what we (try to) do with them, isn't it?      Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Phil,

You keep writing stuff like this and I am gonna start thinking I understand ...............!!!!

QUOTE:"In any case it seems to me that our objective is to better distribute the thrust impulse, so that it's not all concentrated on little bitty pins, which deform themselves and their bores over many shots."  

QUOTE:"Close fitting of the breechblock to the shoulders relieves the pivot pin, and the lugged hammer relieves the link and link pins.   We really should be figuring to do both.  Result will be a rifle that will preserve its' headspace far longer than a run-of-the-bog one will."

Much appreciated!
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #78 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I too have problems with blanket statements about 'Weak' Stevens Cast Receivers.
If they are so 'weak' many more would have broken by shattering since they were 'Case Hardened' similar to the failures in M1903 Early Receivers.  However, Hatcher in his Notebook says out of about 300,000 'Old' metal/Heat treat, only about 35 were reported as failing and those were mostly in 'abusive' Testing Service.

What I am saying is Stevens Did use Cast Steel NOT Cast IRON in his receivers.  Those on which I have touched a grinding wheel to surfaces Not Case hard, threw 'low Carbon' type Sparks.  Not those described as from grinding "high Carbon' Steels or Iron.

As to Pivot Sizes, It seems that the two model receivers I have here have thicker side walls in the way of the Hammer and Trigger screw holes than in the way of the Breech Block (BB) and Lever pivot/screw holes.

I have thought on possibly fitting headed pins with retaining screws like later M44 BB and Lever pivots seem to be.

This idea is also possible in 'Favorite' receivers to improve their pivots within the confines of their sizes.  The problem with Screws seems to be that the Threads are in one side of the load bearing areas for BB and Lever usually and hammer and trigger sometimes. Each version of the Actions is improved just by cutting screws that have the minimum or no thread showing on the inside of the receiver when tightened in place.  

I have purchased 'used original screws and even BBs and Levers that show Thread wear when threads are extended into the 'bearing' surfaces.

Another idea that occurred to me, but was set aside when I measured the 'margin' around a 1894 BB pivot screw holes, was to fit a hardened 'sleeve' through the BB to give more Bearing area and support to the Screw to BB joint in the receiver.  This might be doable with a '1915' style BB still but I have not yet considered it for the 1915 BBs.

Just my Thoughts on the Subject, your experiences may vary.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2014 at 9:27pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #79 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Moved here since it morphed into a gunsmithing topic and wanted to preserve the conversation.

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #80 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
RE: Stevens 44 Wall Thickness.
On Stevens Model 44 receiver sn 37249 marked "44" and "O" and using a Brown & Sharpe Model 13 0-1", .0001" Micrometer (reads to .0001" without interpolation).
  The Left side wall in the way of the hammer and trigger pivots measures .3532" thick and the Right side wall measures .3723" thick.
  The Lever pivot area Left side measures .2758" thick and the Right side measures .2498" thick.
  The Breech Block (BB) pivot areas are not accurately measurable with this Micrometer due to the wall to inside ledge at the Breech block and Lever openings interference with the anvil arm of this Micrometer.
   Using a Mitutoyo 0-1", .001" medium anvil length Micrometer, the hammer pivot area Left side measures .192" thick and the Right side measures .145" thick.

I only have this one '44' receiver disassembled at the moment so it is the one I measured.

Since the Lever opening measures .590" and the BB opening measures .600" in width using a Dial Caliper;and the outside width of this receiver is 1.110" by the same Dial Caliper, it stands to reason that the BB will have some space between the inside wall at the pivot point and the sides of the BB 'Ear(s)' which loads the pivot in Bending rather than near pure Shear. The Lever is a much closer fit and loads its pivot in almost exactly Shear.
  Also we can know that the trigger and hammer still load their pivots in mixed Bending and Shear due to Space between the inside walls and the respective items sides.

This would indicate that on THIS receiver, larger pivot diameter for the Hammer, and possibly using a through Pin instead of a Screw if a Lugged hammer is fitted.
  This particular receiver is fitted for .293" Diameter BB pivot and .292" Diameter Lever pivot using the separate coaxial screw retention method.  The Pivot Pins and Screws fitted are Replacements, products of "Muzzleloader Builders Supply", and are of modern Alloy Steels.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2014 at 6:52pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #81 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Thanks Chev!

Glad to hear "This would indicate that on THIS receiver, larger pivot diameter for the Hammer, and possibly using a through Pin instead of a Screw if a Lugged hammer is fitted." I will be checking if same is valid on mine.

I keep reading snippits/citations about actual strength/durability of cast steels being quite suitable as used in higher quality guns from about 1850s onward. Thanks for another reference!

Thanks again,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #82 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 1:42am
Print Post  
There are many differing opinions on the Strengths of various actions from the 1870 through the 1920s mostly, it seems, without Real Factual Data to support their positions.

J. Hatcher was an Officer involved with Springfield Armory and other Commands over his career and his 'NOTBOOK' is very interesting and informative reading. his discussions on the development of the Various Service Rifles, at least from "Krag" through the M1 Rifle, are detailed with information on troubles and failure analysis both proving some theories and Disproving others.  He includes detail summaries of the Failed M1903 Early Receivers and the Analysis that resulted in improved Receivers, both for the M1903 and for subsequent Military Rifles and Carbines.

Some of my past experiences are applicable to materials selection although it is not my major Career Area of Specialization, I am by training and education an Electronics Technician, and have worked as a Calibration technician and Associate Engineer, then as a Components Engineer before saying 'to H*** with this cycle of hire and layoff by the Project', and I joined the IBEW (Local 40) to work in the Movie Industry for the last few years.

I was for a time a member of ASM, AWS, SAE, ARRA, AIAA, and some others.  I am somewhat of a Machinist, as I can operate Lathes, Mills, and other Shop Tools from my Industrial Arts Classes in Junior College.  I do know how to Gas Weld and Braze/Solder but do not Electric Weld as I don't like the Long term effects on Vision I have witnessed in Professional Welders of my Acquaintance. 

I know All Materials have Cyclic Loading Fatigue Limits that can result in Failures under load with little warning leading up to the Final point of failure.  I also know that engineering, BEFORE the now ubiquitous Computer Aided Design Systems, left more 'margin of error' extra material in loaded items than our modern counterparts do.  Pre 1960 automobiles are still reparable.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2014 at 6:56pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Morning Chev!

Your background and experience are much like that of many essential persons I have relied on/contracted to build things we/I needed for various projects I was part of or in charge of. Without them we would have been totally at mercy of available commercial serial production lines, for better or worse or both. I am familier with many chemical, physical, mechanical, etc. things but was only ever a competent practicianer of a few.

I am part of the global human detritus from that collective insanity known as World War II in USA. For persons critical to me it really started in 1930s with China Civil War, followed by mass departure of non-chinese from Shanghai. Great for diverse experiences and a confusing background!

My involvement with old rifles started as a teen with a Winchester 1885 LW in 32-20, as did my addiction to 32-20s and single-shot rifles. This old Stevens M47 is just the latest in a series of rifles, hammer doubles, revolvers from latter half of 1800s-first decades of 1900s. I can report that ALL have given satisfactory to excellent service, some for extended periods. Many gun-savvy folks have been instrumental, even essential, in rehabing and safely using those old guns. Thanks to you and others here, especially Phil, I predict another "Happy Ending" with this old Stevens M47.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Adding another straw to this camel's load.....

Noticed last night that the Stevens catalogs list two hammer screws for the pre-1903 models - one is specifically called out as "Schuetzen".   Ditto for the breechblock pivot screw.     No illustration.   So...how are they different?  Am I going to sell off my grandchildren so I can buy a Model 52 to find out?  Stay tuned.......   

Merry Christmas everyone !

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Maybe they are the screws used for the 32/40 and 38/55 chamberings.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Well Phil, Maybe breechblock and lever screws in my M47 are "Schuetzen" screws -- all it lacks of full Schuetzen is handrest under forestock. Maybe the "25caliber" sized screws in mine are Schuetzener screws? But not the "22caliber" ones in most of your Stevens 44s? Could that save your grandchildren?

What size screws does frnkeore's ex-32-40 have?

Poor camel!! Deserves some Christmas hay.

Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Maybe.  We know that there are two sizes of breechblock/lever screws.  My 1894 M108 s/n 2023 they are .22 caliber, but this wreck I picked up with the .45-70 barrel on it (s/n 5426) has the .25 caliber screws, and it's a plain model, not a Schuetzen.  Ditto the last one I have, model 45, s/n 11583.   But all three hammer screws are the same.  Would interchange in fact.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Seem to recall JJ Grant mentioning that the Schuetzen frames were slightly wider than the field grade frames, so perhaps the Schuetzen screws are the same size but slightly longer.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
For whatever it is worth, on my M47 width of receiver and length of breechblock pin is 29,2mm/1,15in and at hammer screw is same, with additional 0.2mm elevation on rounded head of hammer screw.

Grisen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Send TopicPrint