Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 83218 times)
Brian

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #60 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Grisen,

I have not shot it yet (weather not great) but according to the lay-out dye the lug is taking some load.
  Time wise the measure twice - cut once method really slows down the process, but a real machinist wouldn't take long (I just like to tinker)
Tools needed -- milling machine,end mill,numbered drill bits & a worn out bit used as a pin & 1/4 " key stock, files, stones & felt tipped marker (works well to show contact) 
As far as my dimensions, they won't do Dave any good, as I purchased a blank breech block from Dave and machined it myself - so not o.e.m. specs. 
  Was a fun little project
         Brian

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Okay!  New information, at least to me.
Quote from Brian "As far as my dimensions, they won't do Dave any good, as I purchased a blank breech block from Dave and machined it myself - so not o.e.m. specs." Did you really mean hammer?

Does this quote mean that Dave has supply of blank M44 breech blocks (and/or hammers) that he or someone has made? To go a step more, does this mean that lugged hammers could be "mass produced" by same method as you used?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #62 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Grisen,

No I meant breech block!  Dave had a casting laying around, not sure where he acquired it.
Mass produced is a strong word (words) as each block & hammer need to be custom fit no matter if a new hammer is made by EDM or mods done to an  original hammer. As I said I like to tinker so I chose the mod way that I can do myself--GRATIFYING 
    Brian

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Last January I had an exchange with the proprietor of RES Manufacturing about breech blocks.   His reply was:
Quote:
I've not made them in a few years. Making just one or two is expensive for the customer, I used to do them in runs of 20-25 and price was 75 each. If you need that many or are able to round a some others interested in buying them I'd gladly get set up to do it.
Thank you,
Ryan

resmfg@gmail.com

I have what I assume is one of his breechblocks in a 44 I bought at auction a couple of years ago.   It is a nice piece of work. Never noticed that it wasn't original until I went to rebarrel the rifle this summer.
Quote:
  I've made them out of A2 in the past, mainly because I had a ton of it in thin bar stock. But the last couple batches were out of 4140. They hold up very well.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Brian & Phil!

You guys are keeping me on the low, steep part of learning curve about M44s and their parts supply! Please don't stop!!

Still, I keep getting impression that "mass produced" for M44 parts starts at something like a few "10"s. Still awaiting info about someone producing "100s" per run.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Grisen, 

After almost 15 years of fooling with 44s, I suspect that the number of people who would actively desire a new Stevens 44 hammer or breechblock in any given decade  would not make up an NFL roster.   It isn't a glamorous rifle like the High Wall or the Ballard, or even the 44 1/2.  Can't be made into a high pressure varmint slayer.  Most of them are prosaic .22 rimfires.  Wisner makes a few parts for them, and I'd love to be a fly on his wall to learn how many mainsprings and extractors he actually sells.  Notable that he doesn't make breechblocks or hammers. My impression from Rick (RES) is that it took him years to dispose of the small runs he made.  He had a fully rebuilt action for sale on Gunbroker, with his last breechblock in it, and it languished there for months at a price around $350 IIRC.      

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for calibration Phil!!

I had been looking for a nice range/target rifle in 32-20 for some time. My 32-20 Low Wall hunting rifle will put first few shots with HV hunting loads, from cold barrel, into sub MOA  but, then POI starts moving off POA quite significantly, like some of my other favorite hunting rifles. This Stevens M47 on 44 receiver was first nice 32-20 range rifle that came along at a price I was willing to pay. So far, the strange bore diameter is the only bothersome aspect, and I am still able to get into or near to sub MOA groups for at least 7-8/10 shots at 100yds. Functionally, mechanically and ergonomically, I could have spent $1000s more and not have a better shooting rifle for my use.

However, I would not have bought a plain M44 or 44,5, especially in 22RF.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #67 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Curious, I thought "Key Stock" was a low Carbon Steel, possibly 'cold rolled to size and sheared in to market lengths for use in making custom fitted replacement Keys for machinery.

Am I mistaken?

Also, my thought Processes say the 'Lug" to Breech Block Slot would need to be carefully fitted to get it so it would "bear" under discharge but not 'Slow' the Hammer fall.
My guess the Best fit would leave less than .0003" clearance when the Hammet has Dropped to the Firing Pin and the Pin is at depth of Ignition of the primer.

Perhaps a 'Wedging' type fit on a sloped slot so that the clearance starts wide and closed up as the hammer nears the Fired position?  I mean the Radius form the hammer pivot Center to the lug tip would be smaller than the Radius from the same pivot Center to the Lug top/Hammer face corner.

Would the 'Sloped portion of the Slot in the Breech Block need to be 'long' front to rear?  I do not know, but the actual Bearing area of the Lug/Slot should be such that the materials Elastic Limits are not exceeded under discharge forces.   

Whether the materials have 'Fatigue Limits under the conditions we are contemplating here needs to be determined.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #68 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Chev.

The key stock I used would be used for machines for keyed shafts or shear point etc. But in this application the force exerted is to the key length, approx. 5/8" rather than 1/4" (if this makes any sense) and in turn exerted on the hammer pin/screw and that dia. is quite small and not meant to carry a load. So the weak link of this lugged hammer would be the hammer screw   not?
  As far as fitment I did mine as you described, upon primer ignition the hammer won't drag, but an empty case w/no primer the hammer makes contact yet will not bind under block. 
  This is not meant to be a Rem RB as that hammer & pin are intended to carry the load, This should only share a very small part of the load and only if the rest of the action is up to a standard mild loaded cartridge.
  Also the lug and block angles need to match (as on a quality Rem RB) because of rebound of hammer by loose or blown primer or main spring failure etc. etc.

Just my thoughts  (maybe not worth much)

Brian

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
I agree with your thinking Brian.  The pinned-in part will be loaded only in compression, and the force goes straight to the pivot.  I'd still like something with a higher yield strength than key stock, though.  Might not get battered as quickly.

Brian wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:56am:
Chev.

Also the lug and block angles need to match (as on a quality Rem RB) because of rebound of hammer by loose or blown primer or main spring failure etc. etc.
          Brian

Exactly.  On page 3 of this thread  I posted a pic from an old catalog which shows the mating profile of the older side-extractor breechblock.  That is what is needed.  Using the lug with a center-extractor block isn't as good, because the internal profile is very different.  It would have to be welded-up and machined, at least. 

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Brian, Phil, others,

Given the geometric analogy with Remington rollers, as well as the amount of metal around the hole in hammer for load-bearing screw, it seems that hole could be made larger and a larger, stronger screw fitted. Yes, no, maybe? Pros and cons? IF "yes", how much larger could screw be made?

Are holes in Stevens made lugged hammers larger?

Another thought entered my mind. Can the Stevens hammer and firing pin function as inertial firing pin (perhaps with weak retraction spring on firing pin)? That is, does hammer hit firing pin forcefully enough for reliable ignition, even if lug on hammer retards forward movement of hammer in latter 50% or so of hammer travel??? IF so, could this allow tighter fitting of hammer lug to breechblock???

Why stop "halfway" in strengthening our M44 actions?

Regards,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2014 at 2:16pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #71 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Phil,
  I understand  that the lug may get battered so am planning on watching for it during break-in. If it starts to show any fault at that point maybe I can add some carbon to the surface. Realy don't want it too hard yet until the design is proven. Although hardening just the lug may be difficult as it is a press fit, will have to isolate from the hammer.
  Grisen,
    I am only interested in trying to replicate what Stevens has done. I'm sure you could enlarge the hole and istall a larger pin/screw,but to what end, this is still only a cast action 

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Brian,

QUOTE " I am only interested in trying to replicate what Stevens has done. I'm sure you could enlarge the hole and istall a larger pin/screw,but to what end, this is still only a cast action."

Are you implying that walls of cast receiver, where hammer pin/screw is, are so much thinner/weaker than where pins for lever & breechblock are, that little would/could be gained by installing a larger diameter pin/screw? I have not had mine apart to extent that I could determine wall thickness in area of hammer pin/screw.

I have no issue with your desire to only reproduce what Stevens did. Whether the logic of strengthening the new load-bearing point, that is a logical result of installing a hammer lug, leads to a significant increase in safety margin seems beyond any evidence yet presented in this discussion.    Also, at this point I have seen NO info about actual, verified issues with cast receivers for M47s, M49s, etc. on M44 receivers.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #73 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
No, I'm implying that this is a cast receiver in general of unknown cast quality and hidden voids.
  I have only seen the pics. of damaged breech blocks (somewhere on this sight  I believe) and several droopy levers from worn pins or other issues.
But a cast Ballard (or so It was said to be cast) blew up on the firing line at the Quigley a few years back. That should be enough to scare the Hell out of anyone!!
Anyway I'm just trying to take a gun in good working order, load it properly and maybe make it a little safer for me and especially others that could be in harms way.

Regards   
     Brian

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Brian,

I am coming from somewhat different background and presumptions, although our final goals for our Stevens rifles are much the same.

Yes, I know about that cast ballard. What % of cast ballards in apparent excellent condition, in 40-65 or similar cartridges, even with 20K++ psi nitro loads, have not failed? THAT is evidence I prefer.

I am also presuming that M44 receivers for much higher $$ rifles were made with more care and/or verification that they are sound than run-of-mill, low $$ M44s. Some of my best made firearms were produced in 1890s and heavily used in the 100++ years since, in part by me. They remain good, reliable shooters with ammo for which they were designed. I expect this Stevens M47 is another.

I am also much impressed by the metallurgical advances in 1880s and 1990s and the many quality designs of firearms from those decades. Mannlichers, Mausers, Sauers, Savages, Winchesters, Rigbys, H&H, Brownings, Stevens(?), Husqvarnas, Remingtons, to name a very few.

In addition, I expect that your approach to making a lugged hammer for M44s will prove viable, especially for individuals that have machining skills similar to yours.

We really don't have major differences in goals, even though our paths may differ.
Grisen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Send TopicPrint