Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 83197 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #30 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
The twisty path is before us, likely replete with pros and cons about this and that.  Methods, costs, shops, operators, QC, installation, perhaps even ATF legalaties?

Something for everyone?
Grisen

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I'm not aware of any licensing requirements to make gun parts. It seems to be just a way to say he's not interested. Insurance requirements may require higher premiums. I know shops dealing in aircraft and aerospace parts pay higher premiums.

Yes wire EDM is slow but in most shops the process is unattended or one operator runs several machines in a cell. The process can make very precise parts. Waterjet is another way to cut out the blanks for the hammers. It is faster but not as accurate as EDM. A combination of the two may be the best way to go. Cut the blank with waterjet and then the sear notches with the wire EDM. Any way you go the hammers should be hand fitted to the rifle they will be used on for the best fit and function.   

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I'm not either, but he says he had a visit from ATF a few years ago over a small-parts job he'd taken in.  Maybe it was auto sears for ARs or something?   He knows next to nothing about guns.  Instrumentation and R&D is more his line.   

Meanwhile, the search goes on.   

Whether a machine runs unattended or not isn't the issue.  Amortizing purchase cost is.   

Say, I wonder if Steve Earle might be interested?

<div class=

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Okay, anybody actually have one of these in their possession?  If you do, put it on your scanner, and scan me a few jpegs, rotating the hammer 90 degrees each time, and flipping it over so that we have a different perspective from the other side.   I have several standard hammers that I can measure  and compare to get the sear and other dimensions right.

With the scans, I can create a CAD file and get a bid on producing a lot of them from 4140 prehard.  If the cost isn't too outrageous, I'll finance the lot and sell them.  What I would do is leave the lug generous in size, for final fitting.  Of course, the sears would also have to be finally fit too.

Anybody have one available to scan?

dave

Here's a similar one that I did that, and created the cad file that has the below image; ready for programming for 2 dimensional EDM or waterject production:

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2014 at 1:02pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks ssdave!

You just covered two items on my "Needs be done." list.

An alternative path for financing is to have some or all buyers pay in advance, either to you or to parts fabricator or someone else. This can be sliced and diced and modified in various ways to provide a workable procurement.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #35 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
The safety lug is a precise fit to each action. I had to do a lot of hand fiting with Prussian blue to get it correct 

Larry Tongue

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Larry,

Did you/was it needed to make any alteration to back end of breechblock?

Have you done enough shooting with that rifle since installing safety lug to get any indication if it is actually taking any load?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I already have a CAD file that's pretty close.  Only the sear notches area needs fixing-up.

I've been bit by bit trying to reverse-engineer the entire mechanism.

Sent you an email, Dave.

Phil

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2014 at 10:08pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #38 - Nov 29th, 2014 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
So far have not seen any ware due to loading. Action is verry tight only soot target 22lr so pretty litely loaded.

Larry

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Good Morning ssdave!

Where are we along path to contracting someone to make initial supply of lugged hammers? Do you have enough information to get quotes on cost and delivery times?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I put Phil's drawing on my computer and compared to a single hammer I pulled out of one of my actions.  There's substantial discrepancies.  I have a half dozen 44 stevens, I'm going to pull and scan each hammer and compare them and make a composite drawing that I think will work.  While I'm at it, I think I'll scan the block, trigger and frame and put the parts in relationship to each other in the drawing to make sure what I draw will have a good probability of working. 

I don't have access to the scanner I use for this now due to a remodel of the area where it's housed, but will be able to use it again in a week or so.  Then, just to find time to do the scans/drawings.  Won't be a matter of days, but I will get to it.  Working full time and running a business on the side cuts into my available time badly.

dave

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave,

Your timeline is OK with me. Especially since first attempt at checking consistancy of dimensions suggests expected variability from Stevens factory.

You seem personification of "If you want to get something done, find a busy person to do it."

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
The "discrepancies" Dave mentioned are in parts of the hammer that I had not finalized, and in an area where my hammer had been machined, I think for clearance for the "strut" type mainspring. 

Looking at my early 44 breechblocks, I see that the slot for the link is machined, and is more like what you'd want to engage the lug.  Center-extractor blocks are a casting, and the slot profile is a cast feature, not so congenial for lug engagement.

Food for thought.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2014 at 6:31pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Happily, my early M44 has a "7oclock" extractor. Next time I have breechblock, etc. out for cleaning and inspection I will take a close look at back end of breechblock, maybe take pictures too.

My M44 has same type hammer spring as shown in diagram you posted.

Would presume that the differences between "7 oclock" vs center extractors and milled vs cast breechblocks mean that Dave will need to collect data for each. Would you agree? 

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
No criticism of Phil's drawings was intended, my apologies if that was implied.  My thinking right now is that I need to compare a wide range of these, to see if there is any uniformity at all, so that a universal part can be made.  Or, if there are variances, which areas (if any) are standardized, so those can be designed in and which parts need "extra metal" to be fit by the gunsmith to the individual rifle.   

I have some range of 44's, so can at least get a good start on it.  May be a project that will work, and may not.  Dimensional variance in the actions will determine what works.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Send TopicPrint