Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 83189 times)
LTC B

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Would it be possible to use a laser to build up the surface, then anneal, then fit to shape, then case harden? That seems to be a straight-forward way of doing it.

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
IMO, the only good a laser would be would be to use to cut out blanks from flat plate.
Very careful welding could be done to buildup a lug; but the filler metal would have to be a similar grade of steel as the hammer itself, or casehardening may not work.
Speaking from experience !

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Hello!

These ideas about welding techniques are interesting but, as note by graduated peep, can actually be unworkable because of mismatched metals. When one of the metals is from long ago, what is accuracy and precision of information about its composition, etc.?

Making a totally new part from one peice of metal of known suitable properties seems a more certain way to go. 

Regards,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:20pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:12pm:

Making a totally new part from one peice of metal of known suitable properties seems a more certain way to go. 

Regards,
Grisen

I'm working my way toward that end.  The outline is a stinker unless you have CNC, which I don't.   The originals were blanked out from plate in a stamping operation, according to one source.   By drilling and milling I can get close enough to file the rest.  It ain't going to happen in two hours, that's for certain.  Maybe eight.  I'm starting with 41L40 bar stock, to be through hardened when finished.   

The sear  notches obviously have to be has hard as possible.  Welding on an original would certainly compromise those, unless re-heat-treated/case hardened.

<div class=

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I haven't had a mill for about 10 years; I disassembled it to move it and have never taken the time to set it back up.

But, when I had the mill, I made parts that were single plane (such as hammers and triggers) with relative ease by simply freehand milling the outline after scribing it onto the surface.  Kind of like running an etch a sketch when you were a kid.  You get a feel for the knobs pretty quickly, and can follow the lines with relative ease and precision.  Of course, some file work when you were done to get it finished.

A jewelers saw is relatively quick also, but costs a few dollars worth of blades.  Then again, I spent an apprenticeship in a gold manufacturing trade shop, learnt a lot of cutting, filing and polishing skills there that make something like cutting a hammer out somewhat routine for me, that might not be for someone else.

dave

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
What about either milling a slot or drilling the front of hammer and inserting a square stock key or round pin anchoring either option by cross drilling and pining (would need to be pined under so as to draw it all together tight) then file the proper angle to fit breech block and taper bottom edge so the link won't snag it. Both options could be done w/a shoulder so you wouldn't need to remove to much material from hammer and yet have full width for breech block to rest on. I would think the hammer would be machinable w/out annealing but I may be wrong. please let me know what you think. Hopefully this is not a terrible stupid idea.
Brian

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I TIG welded my 44 hammer. Then case hardend. Apears to work fine.

Larry

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Larry,

Was your TIG welding a repair or to create the kind of lug being discussed?

Brian,
I have vague thoughts similar to what you posted. Not being a machinest in the least, I have been hoping someone that is would post an analysis of such an approach. What you suggest would seem to offer option of modifying and fitting a used hammer.

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I TIG welded my 44 hammer. Then case hardend. Apears to work fine.Larry

Hi Larry --

This entire proposition concerning the desirability of having a so-called "lugged" hammer in a J.Steven Model 44 action just may be a "tempest in a teapot" for lots of folks who are running by the seat of their trousers.

It certainly makes for interesting, albeit alarming, conversation.  However, any one who is in possession of a J. Stevens Model 44 rifle with a barrel chambered for the .38 caliber; or, such as  yourself, has the same rifle, is definitely going down a pathway that can only lead to the most unwise of territories.

I am not a gun smith, however, I am will studied and versed in the errors of human thought, and or the absence thereof.

Give some thought, if you will, to becoming aware of the reasons behind the decision made by the J Stevens firearms action designers to drop the Model 44 action, and in its, place substitute the Model 44 1/2.

My above comments are predicated upon your decision to shoot your J.Steven M-44, and the possibility that a subsequent and owner may unknowingly shoot it.

IP Logged

Larry D

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
The buildup of hammer was not a repair. It was a  addition. The rifle is chamberd for 22lr and as long as I own it that's what it will stay. The reason I modified it was I liked the reasoning behinde it. Belt ans suspenders syndrome. In my opinion the 44 is strictly a low pressure action😊

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Thanks Larry!

You have same basic rational as I for wanting a lugged hammer -- greater safety margin, more durable lockup. 

How much are you willing to share with us about how you modified an original Stevens hammer into a lugged hammer?

Even if I do have a lugged hammer installed, I doubt that I will  exceed by much, if any, the SAMMI max pressure for 32-20 (16.000 psi). Initial test shooting and collection of industry published pressure data suggest suitably small grouping target loads may have chamber pressures more like 12.000 - 14.000 psi for 100-130 gr bullets at 1300-1100 fps. For higher pressure/velocity hunting loads (perhaps up to 20.000 psi and 1700fps) I have an original Winchester LW hunting rifle that puts first few shots of HV 32-20 loads into subMOA groups.

Regards,
Grisen

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 7:23am
Print Post  
If there is that much interest in them out there find a machine shop that does EDM work and reverse engineer the part then have them cut some. There will be a programming and setup charge but the parts will be spot on dimension wise as EDM is very accurate. Maybe make them a bit oversize in the lug area for fitting. Just my two cents worth.

JMHolland

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I agree with Mr. Holland. A wire EDM would cut the hammer to very precise tolerances, on the order of .0002" or better. A good shop would probably have a way to digitize an original hammer. Leave some additional mat'l on the lug for fitting, checker it, heat treat it and you're good to go. Make 10 and sell 9 blanks to pay for yours.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Good Morning fellow M44 owners!

l can see another group buy in my future, thanks to Mr. Holland's excellent suggestion. First steps seem a thread asking for show of interest in joining a group buy of lugged hammers, hopefully followed closely by identifying machinest(s) willing to make a bunch for a specific price each.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
Later,
Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I pestered an old, old friend whose machine shop contains a wire EDM.    He turned me down flat because (he says) he isn't licensed to make gun parts.  ANY gun parts.

Wire EDM is pretty slow, BTW.  Cost would be high.  But it could make the part from already-hardened steel, so the cost of heat treating would be eliminated.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint