Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer (Read 83226 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Lugged Hammer
Reply #105 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks - your s/n pushed the boundary for the screw size change downward a bit for me.  Up to now the lowest number that I could say for dead certain was large screws was my 5426.

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Happy to have this old rifle become a "benchmark". 

Regards,
Grisen
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:54pm by svartkruttgris#369 »  

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #107 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Further 'puttering' with my "44" action and parts indicates that a 3/16" (.1875") diameter Dowel Pin may fit the two link pivot locations.   I find that McMaster-Carr lists a 1/2" and a 5/8" length Dowel Pin from various Stainless Steel alloys and also Tool Steel Alloy with a C60 Hardness for Strength (and wear Resistance).  They also list oversize pins if they are needed.
I also find that 5/32" (.15625") Dowel Pins are slightly large for Favorite link pivot pins, so those holes will need to be reamed slightly;BUT Be Careful to keep the Lever and Breech Block holes Tight to hold the pin from moving sideways.
Another Thought: Numerich has some Marlin Model 56, 57, 57M, 60, 62 Action 'rear attach pins and screws' that might work for a Favorite Action enlarged pivots.
These pins attached the Trigger/hammer/bolt/Lever/ group to the Receiver so might be of good alloy steel.  This pin took the reaction forces from firing .30 M1 Carbine and .256 Win. Mag. cartridges in this action.
Best Regards,
Chev. William
Added 201401062035PST:  UPS came late today and delivered a pair of McMaster-Carr boxes.  They had my order of Dowel Pins 5/32", 3/16" and 0.001" oversize 3/16 diameter pins.
The 5/32" pins fit my 1915 Favorite Link Pivots.
The 3/16" nominal pin fits the "44" Breech block to Link Pivot holes,  The 3/16" oversize is slightly free in the "44" Lever holes but slightly tight in the Link Hole, so it appears to turn in the Lever when the Action is cycled.
I now have the "44" Receiver and Breech Block working TIGHT when the Action is Closed, the Back fo the Breech Block shows 'witness lines' from the Shoulders fo the Receiver so it is setting tight against both shoulders when in Battery, the lever does not spring tightly against the lower tang though, so there is still some 'play' in the two pivots (light shows between Tang and Lever as a fine sliver).  Next is to workout the Firing pin mods to make this block able to switch between RF and CF operation. Chev.William
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2015 at 11:48pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #108 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Found a "Too Short, pivot to sear tip, Trigger and had a Certified Welder add some "Hard Face Alloy' Weld Bead to the Sear tip. now I need to shape and smooth the Bead to fit my hammer.  This is a 'putter' job tha twill keep me occupied of ra while as it entails repeated installation of the Hammer and Trigger in the Receiver with layout color on the Hammer to show where the Sear tip is striking it, then removing the parts to inspect and 'stone/file slightly, then re-coat and reinstall.  Taking off a small amount at a time until the sear will seat in the 'Full Cock' notch of the hammer, then Very Slowly stoning it to hold the hammer at the 'Half Cock' proper distance from the rear of the Breech Block and firing pin.    I am still hoping to find an original trigger fo proper length, though.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #109 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Received a Used trigger today so Now I have an original to use in my build along with the Welded one as a Spare.

Thank you all for helping.
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #110 - Jan 10th, 2015 at 1:02am
Print Post  
A few more measurements:
Stevens '44' Side extractor receiver sn 6939 measures 1.109" wide.
Measured with the same Dial Caliper, Stevens '44' Center Extractor receiver sn 37249 measures 1.102" wide.

Both were 'soaked in the Same temperature room with the Dial Caliper for two days.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #111 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 1:22am
Print Post  
There is a Stevens '44' Lugged hammer blank (appears to be either Wire EDM or Hydro cut) on Ebay at the moment.  Already over $30.00 bid and climbing.  it says it is out of 1018 Steel.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I'm the one who posted the pictures of the broken 44 breach block a while back. I get M44s in often for repair or rebarrel but never have more than two at a time to compare. All the ones I have seen in 32-40 or 38-55 were loose from shooting to hot a load and the hammer lug was battered. The two breach blocks that were broken was from someone taking a 25-20 and chambering it to 25-35. I relined the barrel back to 25-20 and made a new breach block from heat treated 4140 which can be machined, just takes a bit longer. One of the main problems I see with the 44 is a poor fit of the breach block to the frame which leaves all the stress on the pivot pins. If the breach is not touching the frame at the rear then the extra lug on the hammer is not going to help. Probably the best idea for coming up with luged hammers would be to contact the seller of the one on ebay and ask him where he got the one for sale, he might be the maker testing the field to see if they are worth making.
My own personal 44 came to me chamber in 256 Win mag, The barrel was quickly removed and it now has a 44-40 barrel. there are some that questioned this but the 44-40 is the largest caliber the 44 came in and is loaded to probably lowest chamber pressure, having  lower bolt thrust than the 28-30.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #113 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
It is someone 'testing the water' I think as the Seller has other 'blank parts' listed on Ebay.  Now if i can get him to make a couple out of 4140 or even 4130 it would make building up a 'lugged hammer' model 44 much easier.

I will be emailing the seller about the idea today.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Tell him that there's at least one potential buyer here that won't touch eBay with a barge pole, (due to Paypal).

<div class=

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #115 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
The lugged hammer and other parts are from Rodney Storey. I am sure if you contact him directly an accomodation can be reached.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jim H.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #116 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Hope someone can come up with a direct email.  As I posted above, eBay and I parted brass rags a couple of years ago.   I see he has an extractor, too, but it's not the right shape.   IMHO the hammer should be a higher carbon steel, so that it can be through hardened, to help withstand  the battering that John mentioned.  Breechblock he's selling will be a poor choice if the back radius is not sufficiently large as to make contact with the frame shoulders.   The more I see of the Model 44, the more I realize that replacement parts are not "drop-in", except maybe for .22 rimfires.  Still, if the guy has the machinery and is willing, he can make useful parts for us.  Just need to have the right materials and dimensions.  

<div class=

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #117 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Never had a problem with casehardened mild steel hammers or tumblers, in fact, prefer them. Harder sear notch, less brittle safety notch and no battering. Never done it but would guess a casehardened lugged hammer would hold up just fine.
Chuck

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #118 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:23pm:
Hope someone can come up with a direct email.  As I posted above, eBay and I parted brass rags a couple of years ago.   I see he has an extractor, too, but it's not the right shape.   IMHO the hammer should be a higher carbon steel, so that it can be through hardened, to help withstand  the battering that John mentioned.  Breechblock he's selling will be a poor choice if the back radius is not sufficiently large as to make contact with the frame shoulders.   The more I see of the Model 44, the more I realize that replacement parts are not "drop-in", except maybe for .22 rimfires.  Still, if the guy has the machinery and is willing, he can make useful parts for us.  Just need to have the right materials and dimensions.  

I have communicated with Mr.Storie regarding custom production of various machine parts.
He seems interested in considering different projects if they are within his capacity to produce them. 
He advised that it is best to supply a to-scale scan of the part needed, OR a detailed mechanical drawing with ALL pertinent dimensions.
Apparently he has access to a water jet machine through some venue he is involved in, but is limited to the amount of time he can access it.
I would assume he could produce these parts form any material  desired, as long as it was cost effective.
If I can get his permission, I will post his contact info.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #119 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Hello,
  this is Rodney Storie, I was finally able to register thanks to whoever is keeping this forum up . thank you very much.  I do have limited access to a water jet machine. I am teaching machine shop classes day time and evenings till summer break, so my time is limited too. But got a couple more years till I retire then get busy with the single shot stuff.
    Regarding the 44 lugged hammers , Bruce Nelson kindly loaned me his to copy and will be sending me the info on the breech block to draw up and cut. anyway I have found some 4142 prehardened steel i may cut them from if that seems to what is wanted. PM if interested.
    Regarding the castings I used to do, I have none on hand and don't expect to make any till I retire, that's the plan at this time. glad to be back. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Send TopicPrint