Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Browning BPCR Disassembly info?? (Read 6319 times)
chesterwinn450
Participating Member

Browning BPCR Disassembly info??
Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Got a new (to me) 40-65 BPCR, and need a "take apart" guide.  Seems as "Bubba" has been in it and the trigger has a 3/4# let off.  Waaay lite for me, and the extractor won't come all the way out to allow a new shell without manually pushing on it.  I see where there are a couple authors that have written books on them, but don't think I need that much reading.  (Maybe I'm Bubba too.)
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Chester
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2014 at 8:45am by chesterwinn450 »  

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Re: Browning BPCR
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
This is the book your looking for. Well worth the information.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Browning BPCR Disassembly info??
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Yes.............Wayne's book is the one to get. Will answer all your future questions, as well. Great shooting rifles. Believe Wayne is shooting the 40-65 model these days.

Sounds like the previous owner may have had Lee Shaver work over the trigger/sear, which generally results in a ~1# pull. The fix is to replace with a new one, which will get you back up to the 4-5# stock pull. Simple to do, only one screw to remove the old and install the new. If you get on the Browning website they have an exploded view of your rifle with all the parts listed. Someone I shoot with recently purchased the trigger/sear and I recall his telling me he paid $35 for it. IIRC, he purchased from Brownells, but I can check with him if you need to know.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

chesterwinn450
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
SSS, Thanks for the info.  I might have to spring for the book.  I'm always curious as to what is in my guns and how they work.  Usually, I don't have any questions about them, but this one has a few quirks I need to know about.  Besides the light trigger (which I can get used to, if necessary), the extractor will pull the empty out, but it doesn't come all the way out to allow a new round in without sorta "bumping" it to get it to extend out.  Seems as a spring might be broken/missing.  (Shoulda' just bought your rifle.)
Chester

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 4:45am
Print Post  
That is the primary reason I moved away from the Japanese High Walls. Not sure if the "updates" were 'attorney inspired', but they are quite complex. If something goes wrong at a match you cannot quickly fix it. Pretty much all of the original actions (and modern reproductions like C. Sharps) can be taken apart and fixed in about 10min if you have the part. Most folks carry a spare firing pin and/or transfer bar for the original actions. My Hepburns are so simple I haven't figured out what to carry as a spare, other than a firing pin. I haven't got the faintest idea what one would carry for spares with the Win-Miroku actions nor how one could disassemble/reassemble at a match. Hopefully, Wayne will see this thread and give us some insight. Am not sure how much he works on these modern actions.

The person I was mentioned in the previous post needed a new trigger/sear as his Lee Shaver modified one wore enough over the course of 4-5yr of shooting. It would fire upon closing the lever. You might want to order a spare in case you run across that problem. That would be a 3min fix to remove the old and install the new. 

On the upside, it can be a very competitive rifle and D. Gazaway has done very well with his thus far this season, winning several matches with some impressive scores. 

Wayne, TexasMac here and on the Shiloh forum, has posted quite a bit of load test info with his 40-65 Browning on the Shiloh forum in the Black Powder section. If you are going to be shooting BP you might gain a fair amount by his info.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2014 at 4:56am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Could be about three different trigger fixes. Don't think you will like a 4-5# trigger but talk to Texas mac or get the reassembly kit from Johnnie Stepp .

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
If you plan on shooting silhouette matches with the rifle you should think about keeping the light trigger as it'll help for the offhand portion of the match.  The factory trigger is quite heavy.  I haven't used mine ( with factory trigger ) in a silhouette match as I can't shoot it offhand as well as my Shilohs or C. Sharps rifles.   It is an excellent shooter off of the cross sticks though.

Chris.

IP Logged

chesterwinn450
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 4:45am:
That is the primary reason I moved away from the Japanese High Walls. Not sure if the "updates" were 'attorney inspired', but they are quite complex. If something goes wrong at a match you cannot quickly fix it. Pretty much all of the original actions (and modern reproductions like C. Sharps) can be taken apart and fixed in about 10min if you have the part. Most folks carry a spare firing pin and/or transfer bar for the original actions. My Hepburns are so simple I haven't figured out what to carry as a spare, other than a firing pin. I haven't got the faintest idea what one would carry for spares with the Win-Miroku actions nor how one could disassemble/reassemble at a match. Hopefully, Wayne will see this thread and give us some insight. Am not sure how much he works on these modern actions.

The person I was mentioned in the previous post needed a new trigger/sear as his Lee Shaver modified one wore enough over the course of 4-5yr of shooting. It would fire upon closing the lever. You might want to order a spare in case you run across that problem. That would be a 3min fix to remove the old and install the new. 

On the upside, it can be a very competitive rifle and D. Gazaway has done very well with his thus far this season, winning several matches with some impressive scores. 

Wayne, TexasMac here and on the Shiloh forum, has posted quite a bit of load test info with his 40-65 Browning on the Shiloh forum in the Black Powder section. If you are going to be shooting BP you might gain a fair amount by his info.

Last question:  Should the extractor pop all the out when opening to remove a spent case?  Mine pushes the case out well enough, but the little "tongue" has to be "brushed" to come all the way out to allow a new round to seat and the breech block to close.  Am I missing something here??
Chester

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:00am
Print Post  
On the Win-Miroku rifles I've owned the extractor/ejector was a PITA. Good thing it had the tab that one could turn to stop the rifle from 'throwing' the fired case out of the action onto the ground. Both of mine would extract if the lever was opened slowly until you could 'feel' it hit the ejector and stop. Push it open just a bit further and it would 'pop' and out goes the case. You might have a sliver of brass or whatever stuck in that part of the action stopping it from ejecting. Or, it may have been 'defeated' in some way by someone who found its ejecting action as big a PITA as I did.

Am in agreement about your light trigger in that I would keep it. I've got a 1 1/2# trigger on my Hepburn and wish it was only 1/2#. Train your finger.

IP Logged

chesterwinn450
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:40am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:00am:
On the Win-Miroku rifles I've owned the extractor/ejector was a PITA. Good thing it had the tab that one could turn to stop the rifle from 'throwing' the fired case out of the action onto the ground. Both of mine would extract if the lever was opened slowly until you could 'feel' it hit the ejector and stop. Push it open just a bit further and it would 'pop' and out goes the case. You might have a sliver of brass or whatever stuck in that part of the action stopping it from ejecting. Or, it may have been 'defeated' in some way by someone who found its ejecting action as big a PITA as I did.

Am in agreement about your light trigger in that I would keep it. I've got a 1 1/2# trigger on my Hepburn and wish it was only 1/2#. Train your finger.

Upon re-thinking my own opinion, I agree with you on the trigger.  I have been dry firing with a dummy round and do believe you are right.  Much harder pull, and I would be prone to throw my aim off.  Also, I believe the ejector HAS been modified to lessen the toss of the empty.  Guess I'll just shoot it a while before I make any hasty decisions.  Thanks for the advice.
Chester

IP Logged

march41

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Chester,they do not eject,they extract only on the BPCR.You can up the triggerpull with the adj screw behind the trigger.Get waynes book.Bob. (great rifles) Smiley

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Chester,

Based on your description I’m betting you have a Browning BPCR built in 1996, the 1st year of production, indicated by a NT in the serial number.  The following is from my book, “Owners of 1996 production rifles, and possibly a few rifles assembled in very early 1997, may find the extractor frequently does not move below the cartridge rim portion of the breech and has to be manually depressed prior to inserting a new cartridge.  The extractor was redesigned and subsequently installed in most if not all 1997 rifles, and in all 1998 rifles.”

Regardless, if the extractor is the original or redesigned, it should only push the case out of the chamber about ¼”, sufficient to grab and pull out with your fingers.  BPCR shooters reload and don’t like having to search for ejected bent casings, hence the reason the ejector and shell deflector was removed for the BPCR models.

Concerning the trigger pull, some shooters would kill for a ¾ lb trigger.  Lee Shaver’s modified sear typically results in a 1.5 to 2 lb trigger.  I’ve installed a bunch and never had one come in under 1.25 lb.  But with a lot of use I guess the sear could wear some.  There are also other professional and “shade tree” gunsmiths that modify the Browning trigger sears.  As SSShooter noted, a new Browning sear will result in a 4 to 5 lb trigger (part # B3474871 - $25.75 + shipping from Browning).  The sear can be replaced in a few minutes after removing the stock.  You’ll need a couple of screwdrivers (1 quite long to remove the stock), a vice or hammer and punch to the remove and reinstall the pin that holds the sear in the trigger.  

It’s all covered in my book plus much, much more, including how to disassemble and reassemble the action, which is required to replace the original extractor with the redesigned version (B3474774 - $42.50 + Shipping from Browning).

Regards,
Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
If you purchase the trigger & pin along with the sear, you can put them together at home and replace as a 'group' and not need the punch. If making the replacement as a repair at the range, it will be much handier to have the sear & trigger as one piece. The screwdriver needed for the stock removal is the same used for removal of most Browning shotgun stocks.

IP Logged

Kitsap

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 11:17am
Print Post  
chesterwinn450,

I purchased a used 40-65 with the same extractor problems.  It is often referred to as a "lazy" extractor.  I bought Wayne's book, worth every penny in my opinion, and a replacement extractor from Browning for a 45-70 BPCR.  The replacement extractor works perfectly.

DougF

IP Logged

chesterwinn450
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Kitsap wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 11:17am:
chesterwinn450,

I purchased a used 40-65 with the same extractor problems.  It is often referred to as a "lazy" extractor.  I bought Wayne's book, worth every penny in my opinion, and a replacement extractor from Browning for a 45-70 BPCR.  The replacement extractor works perfectly.

DougF

OK Guys, you've convinced me!!  I'm ordering the book Monday!!  Looks like there is mucho info I need to know.
Thanks all.
Chester

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint