Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps Borchardt Mid-Range. (Read 3542 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Sharps Borchardt Mid-Range.
Aug 19th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I have came across original Sharps Borchardt Mid-Range rifles (.40-2 1/2") fitted with Schuetzen type buttplates.  I had always thought these rifles were designed and fired prone..or in one of the "Creedmoor" back positions.  I wonder if these were dual purpose..Mid-Range position & offhand use?

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Sharps Borchardt Mid-Range.
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 5:09am
Print Post  
.22-5-40.

Whether your rifle is Mid-Range or Schuetzen you have a rare bird if it is factory original. According to the late Frank Sellers book 'Sharps Firearms' only 31 Schuetzen rifles were made and a total of 246 Mid-Range were made in two variants, No. 1 totalled 215 and the No.2 totalled 31. Sellers adds that some confusion arises as the Schuetzen butt plate was occasionally  fitted to Mid Range rifles. The Schuetzen model was fitted with a cheek piece whereas the Mid-Range rifles illustrated in the book do not have one.

I would suggest you contact the current owner of the Sharps Factory records and ask him if it listed. It may or may not be, as records for the 1878 Model are fragmentary especially just before the factory closed.
He has a fee if you want your rifle 'lettered' and it isn't cheap, but I understand he will tell you over the phone what info he has. His name is Dr Lobowski, have a pen and paper to hand when you call him. Sorry, I lost his address when my computer got a virus, but someone else will know on this Forum

Harry

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Harry, I have one of the "Schuetzen" stocks but without a cheek piece. It is cut on the butt for a butt hook style butt plate but has no butt plate have been looking for one. I do have the standard shotgun butt midrange. Have never tried the "Schuetzen?" butt on it to see if it will fit. Now I am going to have to try it. I sent you a lengthy message on Borchardt stuff let me know how you feel. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Hello Fitz.

Re your stock, I suppose it perfectly possible for the Schuetzen stock have been made without a cheek piece, after all most of the variants of the Borchardt were more or less custom made and shooters ordered what they wanted back then. Where you would find a Borchardt Schuetzen butt plate I have no idea, they are going to be very scarce. Track of the Wolf do a number of this style of butt plate, it may be worth looking at their web site to see if there is anything suitable there.

Your PM replied to, thanks for the information.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint