Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps 1875, Thoughts? (Read 14977 times)
sherbs
Participating Member

Sharps 1875, Thoughts?
Aug 7th, 2014 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
My C Sharps 1875 just arrived today, I put on the wall rack with the 74 and 77. After a long look and close in lap examination I have been left to wonder why many do not like this action. Here is what I have come up with, A nice single set trigger, a faster hammer time compared to the others, a stronger buttstock. Down side, not as pretty to look at and a bit longer to clean. The rifle is PG, SGB, SST, 30" Octagon 45-70.  This rifle is under $1900, the range of Italian rifles and the 75 has a Badger barrel so why do so many Poo-Poo this model?

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps 1875, Thoughts?
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
IMO the rifle is not a real true copy of a Sharps 75'.  The real 75' had a radiused tang..that would probably be cost prohivative today..and require it's own set of tang sight bases...But I have to admit liking this unusual configuration.

IP Logged

sherbs
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I agree, the action being the same style and size has been updated for production cost reasons thus falling a bit short of the original.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I have one in .40-70 SS that my wife shoots Well in BPCR Silhouette. Seems like a Fine Rifle too me! The only problem I've had is at one point the hammer had a little wiggle in it. I thought I'd see if I could tighten it up. Well I tightened it a little, and then I thought I'd try a little harder, and twisted off the hammer Screw..It's a small diameter...probably a #10 ?
I called C-Sharps, and they sent me a new one for free. I was able to drill into the screw carefully and easy out the piece.

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

sherbs
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Off the 75 subject a bit, I have also by my hand buggered a couple screws, they have never charged me for them either.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Nothing at all wrong with the C. Sharps 1875. Especially as one can find them for <$1500 on Gunbroker and the like. Have also had excellent service from C. Sharps, as had my shooting partner. Even when we screw things up.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

mtbarrelman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
The 1875 originals were prototypes only and only a couple were produced the CSA 75 was designed originally to be able to change and remove certain plugs on the casting mold to either make Borchardt's or the csa model 75 the borchardt plan never was put into production only the 75 model ,It's a great entry level bpcr rifle us made,price point,simple mechanics badger or green mt barrel if you look at a Borchardt sharps and a 75 you'll see the resemblance other than the side hammer to concealed hammer, levers are the same you can get the base model csa 75 up through custom grades with engraving, and the hammer screw is a 5-40 to answer another "broke several myself"

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Everyone has different ideas of what they like and what is acceptable.  I'm one that has been a real non-fan of the C Sharps 75.  A few years ago, I had a chance to buy a like new one in a "mistake gun" caliber, .32-40.  My thoughts were that for the $750 I paid, it would make a nice rebarrel project to make a .38-72 for my son.

I was underwhelmed with it from the start.  Wood to metal fit was amateurish.  Metal and wood finish was mediocre.  Trigger needed a lot of work to be match quality.  We fired it a few times and found that the firing pin hung up.  Upon taking it apart, it was apparent that the pin was either poorly made and fit, or the firing pin hole grossly oversize.  That was causing it to shift and bind.  Taking the rifle apart revealed the interior fit/finish was rough and not really finished to an acceptable standard.  I was able to do some smoothing and polishing and make the firing pin stop sticking, but it really needed the breech block bushed and re-machined to be right. 

We passed that rifle on and used an original high wall instead.  Ended up a few hundred dollars and more work into the project, but infinitely better rifle all the way around.

The only good thing I can say about the 75 is that it's less expensive than most of it's competitors.  That can be a make or break advantage in some circumstances, but if that's not the principal advantage to you, I'd buy up a little instead.

Just my opinions, since you asked.....

dave

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I got my 75 a few years ago in December when they had a pre-Christmas sales special.  Mine is in 22 long rifle, standard barrel weight, straight stock with the set trigger.  A day after I placed the order, John called and said he had a cheek piece stock and would give it to me for free if I wanted.  I agreed.  The rifle came in three weeks.  The wood was very nice and the fit and finish was 98% of what my Shiloh's are but the price for the gun with taxes and shipping came under $1500.  And delivery was in weeks, not years.  I think it was well worth it.
Rich

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Sad to say, I have to agree with SSDave.  I am definately not a fan of C.Sharps Arms.  While the original Sharps company made one or two prototypes of the 1875, it was never produced.  I had one early on in 40-70 SS and it was a collossal disappointment.    If you like the "slimmed down" looks I'd suggest getting a Peabody and forget about a "Sharps" that never was a Sharps.  You get what you pay for.

I hear all sorts of good things about C.Sharps Arms, but don't care a whit for John Shaftandstall.    I guess I knew Wolfgange Droege too well, and the history behind C.Sharps. 

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2014 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I think that much of it comes from the fact that the '75 was not really a production rifle.   I have a friend who has one and is happy with it, but likes his '74 more.

With respect to CSA quality, I think they had issues a while back keeping good guys in the shop.  I'm quite happy with what they've been putting out in the last 5 years or so.  They just built an 1885 for me in .45-90 with a 16 twist #5 barrel and it's looking like it'll be a really accurate long range rifle.

Chris.

IP Logged

sherbs
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
George Babits wrote on Aug 8th, 2014 at 4:32pm:
Sad to say, I have to agree with SSDave.  I am definately not a fan of C.Sharps Arms.  While the original Sharps company made one or two prototypes of the 1875, it was never produced.  I had one early on in 40-70 SS and it was a collossal disappointment.    If you like the "slimmed down" looks I'd suggest getting a Peabody and forget about a "Sharps" that never was a Sharps.  You get what you pay for.

I hear all sorts of good things about C.Sharps Arms, but don't care a whit for John Shaftandstall.    I guess I knew Wolfgange Droege too well, and the history behind C.Sharps. 

George
Salmon, Idaho

George, I did not start this thread to bash any person or the company they represent. I started for thoughts on the 75 action. You may not like them but I have horror stories from other Sharps makers also, and having a Storefront gun shop since 1990 there are some good ones.  Brian

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
I think most anyone can come up with horror stories about any gunsmith, rifle builder, barrel maker, merchant,  or internet server.  I guess it just depends on each person's experience.

The original post, if I remember correctly, was you wondered why people poo-pooed this rifle.  Most of my shooting has been done with original rifles, with the exception of the Shiloh Sharps.   I had an 1875 C.Sharps and didn't care for it.  I did the natural thing and got rid of it.  Pretty simple solution.    Had you asked me the same thing about the Italian copies of Remingtons, HiWalls, and Sharps, I would have said the same thing.  They (the Itallian ones) all feel like clubs to me.  I think that is because the stocks may be longer or something.  I pays my money and takes my choices,; and the C.Sharps 1875 rendition of a prototype Sharps just doesn't appeal to me.  But then, I don't care much for the Springfield trapdoor, original or otherwise, either.

George

IP Logged

sherbs
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
George,  I can respect your like or dislikes of the 75 action, I have many of the same ideas as yours when it comes to the Italian made copies also. I did think it was in poor taste to name a person due to a past issue.  Brian

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Yea, probably right there Brian;  but I was careful to misspell his name.

George

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint