Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Nice Little Low Wall (Read 8934 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Nice Little Low Wall
Aug 18th, 2014 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
There's always been discussion of whether a low wall should be chambered in 32-40.  Do you suppose that Stevens and Harry had anything to do with this??

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sherbs
Participating Member

Re: Nice Little Low Wall
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
There is something about that rifle that sends a flag up. Or is my gut feeling wrong. It is a nice looking rifle right or wrong.

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
good thing he didn't have to buy film for those pictures. Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Hey guy's it is real nice, BUT. Someone check me I could be wrong but the Stevens Pope stamp looks like it is on facing the wrong way on the barrel. I keep looking but cannot get a good perspective. Barrel markings are shown where you cannot define the front to back end. Someone else please look and let me know. I do not like the idea of a 32-40 in a Low wall but others have done it. But at least one was disassembled by breaking the action in two right behind the breech block shoulders. So I would be concerned. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Fitz- Look at picture 48- it shows the lettering to be oriented to the left side of the rifle.

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Willis, I got no picture 48 just a blank space. Every pic I look at with the Stevens Pope lettering I cannot define front or back end. Not enough showing. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Fitz pic. 48 as Willis pointed out does show it oriented correctly, I like yourself based on the prior pictures looked to be just the opposite. Strange you are not getting a picture in frame 48, are they good beyond that point?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Low walls usually have the small barrel shank, which might be a little thin for 32-40.  I know of a 32-40 High wall with a small shank which burst, tho probalby with a double charge.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 3:35am
Print Post  
My Low-wall has been rebarrelled with a 28" tapered octagonal barrel in 32/40 only because the original Winchester barrel was so chambered. I have seen one in 38/55 with Winchester factory stamps.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Winchester stamps or Stevens stamps, don't mean the guns were assembled at Winchester or Stevens. Not saying this is the case here, but without documentation it's still just a Stevens-Pope barrel on a nice Low Wall, and no way to determine when or where the barrel was installed.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
It is possible to find original Winchester Barrels with the small diameter shank size. Winchester during the first year of production built some? number of rifles with the same size shank as the Lowall. I own one serial number 800. All the action parts were numbered. I think it was labeled as a 
#2 action. There have been reports of these actions being rebarreled in large calibers with the large diameter cartridges leaving too thin a wall between the chamber diameter and the Minor diameter of the threads. It has not been a problem if the Barrel is a modern steel. But in the older Mild steel barrels often rebored larger  it leaves the wall thickness too thin. For this reason I feel that original Winchester Lowall actions should not be rebarreled in large calibers. HTH Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
When I first saw this, I thought wow, Stevens with Harry's approval barreled, a low wall in 32-40.  But like Sherbs said, there are some red flags.  According to the Winchester letter, it was first a 25-20.  If you look at the pictures, it appears that it is a rimfire frame (hole for the kicking extractor) and a rimfire forearm (cutout for extractor/ejector).  This is still possible as Winchester could have made that frame for multiple uses.  The wood actually looks like its had more use than the receiver as it is just a nice even fading of the case.  I also don't like the fit of the buttplate and the gaps at places around the receiver.  The set trigger could have been added the second time through the factory.  Still, an interesting piece.
Bob

IP Logged

firearmdoc

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 6:51am
Print Post  
FITZ wrote on Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:00pm:
It is possible to find original Winchester Barrels with the small diameter shank size. Winchester during the first year of production built some? number of rifles with the same size shank as the Lowall. I own one serial number 800. All the action parts were numbered. I think it was labeled as a 
#2 action.

This would not be the first time that Winchester changed the shank size on an action. The very early model 1876 used a .812 diameter barrel shank which was then changed to an .875 diameter barrel shank. Keep in mind that the only chambering in the 76 originally was the 45-75. Obviously they had problems with the shank size, so it is interesting that they would repeat their mistake by making a barrel shank too small. At the same time we need to keep in mind that the 1894 uses a small shank at .812 diameter. The original chambering was 38-55, and this was before they started using nickel steel barrels. 
Either way you look at it, buyer beware and realize that the s/n on the 1885 is on the bottom tang, not the frame. It wouldn't be the first time parts have been cobbled together to make something appear more desirable than it really is.

Jesse

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The shank size on the 1885 is determined by the barrel size and not the caliber. The barrel sizes of #1 & #2 use the small shank (.843), #3 and larger use the .935 size shank. So any caliber they listed for the #1 & #2 barrels got the small thread size.

I'm not a expert on 1885's but, that is my understanding.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:56pm:
  I also don't like the fit of the buttplate and the gaps at places around the receiver.  The set trigger could have been added the second time through the factory.  Still, an interesting piece.
Bob

Just a note on Winchester small swiss buttplates. I've had several that were either ill fitting when I got them, or I removed the buttplate looking for any interesting info underneath, and when reinstalled they fit poorly. In every case, I found that they all fit better or worse, depending on how the screws were tightened. I could tighten the top tang, or the rear screw and make them fit better or worse, depending on what order I tightened them.

And I know some really talented gunsmiths who've built entire guns around a 1885 lower tang that had cool provenenance when they lettered the tang.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint