Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Inconsistent Ignition (Read 16603 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Inconsistent Ignition
Reply #30 - May 7th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
SSS thing is it takes very little "off" to strike low in front of the target. Trajectory is so high at distance with our cast bullet rifles very small error on a paper target low at 100 yards will show up as a strike on dirt quite a bit in front of the target at 500. 

Ever notice how often a inexperienced spotter will call a low miss, throwing dirt up between the rams legs when you know you missed high over his back.  Lack of depth perception with a single eyepiece scope and distance back to the berm makes it look like low miss even when it passed the target high. Same effect for low misses, they hit way in front.

Same thing with long range game shooting using high trajectory rifles. Not effective due to the extreme trajectory causing wild high or low shots when the distance is not accurately estimated. And only takes a few yards to make a large difference in strike.  Quigley read the wind he should have paid attention to the distance.

It's likely more geometry than ignition, If the cartridge sounds right when it goes off it's probably right

Boats

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - May 7th, 2013 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I've been doing some load work for one of my .45-70's for a match next month.  I have only a 200m range and a chronograph.  I did some experimenting with my wiping routine the other day.  When changing the routine from two damp patches to a single one the resulting speed change was enough to change a center hit to a complete miss at 500m.  That was based on feeding the measured speeds into the JBM Ballistics program. 

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Put 100rds+ through the rifle since it has been back together. Not a single misfire or light hit. With the tip from Dan Theodore that bottleneck cases (all of them when using cast bullets - will be annealing my 25-20 cases next) need to have the case mouth annealed for best accuracy, the load has gone from averaging ~1.5moa at 300yd to <1moa. Terrific results. Thank you C. Sharps for the terrific service and DanT for the info.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #33 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:25am
Print Post  
You raise an interesting question.

If (and it more than likely does) neck tension affects group size, is there a way of MEASURING it?   

Pull test (tension) perhaps?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Been reading Nancy Tompkins excellent book, "Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting" as am also shooting F-Class when it does not interfere with my single-shot rifle shooting. In the reloading section she addresses light primer hits and the poor results from same. In discussions with some very good F-Class shooters I mentioned same and they are all in agreement. One must have a good, consistent strong hit on the primer to get good, consistent results. Now that I've got that, its all up to me.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 10:21am
Print Post  
failure to properly and completely clean out a primer pocket can also result in odd ignition at times. 
The bench rest guys say that not cleaning the punch flash on the back side of the primer flash hole can cause uneven primer flash inside the case and with smaller charges of powder in larger cases creating powder position sensitivity the combination can create ignition variables-------but you know how anal those benchrest guys can be about the details Grin

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Those Anal fellows are regularly shooting groups in the 1's &'2's DW and we can learn from some of what they do. There is no reason that I know of that would keep us from doing the same.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 10:21am:
-------but you know how anal those benchrest guys can be about the details Grin

Indeed. I've heard that some of them will shoot an entire match with only 5-10 cases. Can you believe that folks would actually do that? Wink

Tompkins book has a good explanation on primer pockets, primers and some 'better' methods to address same during reloading. A fair amount of the reloading info comes from her husband, Mid, who, IIRC, was our national Palma champion last year is likely shooting the 2013 competition, along with Nancy, at Camp Perry this week.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint