Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 8.15x46r load data (Read 14763 times)
mistymeadows
Ex Member

8.15x46r load data
Aug 4th, 2013 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
New to ASSRA. I have reloaded for over 20 years but I have acquired an8.15x46r bolt action for which I can not find load data. I have found 180 grain cast bullets. If anyone can provide so load data it would be greatly appreciated. Can load data for the 32-40 Winchester be safely used for the 8.15x46r?

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 8.15x46r load data
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
generally speaking, the 8.15x46r was a target rifle cartridge used in many german/swiss single shot offhand target rifles.  It was also chambered in some light weight stalking (hunting) rifles.  I have also seen it in a few fairly light weight single shot early bolt actions in both early Mauser and early Mannlicher actions.  I know that some of the early bolt actions were used in schuetzen type offhand matches in Europe and they may have also had military target rifle matches using the 8.15x46r cartridge.
  If your rifle is checked out as safe it should be OK for standard target loads. 
The 8.15 is often thought of as a metric version of the .32-40, and 8.15 cases can be made form the same 30-30 Win family cases, with suitable modifications and fire forming. Buffalo Arms sells 8.15 brass that is made from 30-30. 
At least in cast bullet low-pressure target loads the loading data is pretty much transferable.  With your bolt action rifle the chamber may vary a little from standard. If you really want to maximize the accuracy potential, a careful check of bore-groove and twist would be in order; as would a chamber cast to get the correct case length and throat configuration for bullet selection.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I have both the target rifle and the light weight hunting rifle. The correct bullet is a "stop-ring" design for which moulds are available. If you form cases from 30-30 brass you may need to thin the rims slightly and, after the first firing, you will not need to use dies to reload. Just re-prime, add powder and push the bullet home by hand up to the stop ring (a slightly raised ring of lead on the outside). You can pan lube or dip lube----i tumble the bullets, cast 20:1, in liquid alox. For the schutzen rifle I use 13.6grn of IMR 4227 and for the hunter 10grn of blue dot.
Fred

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Hello
I just returned from the range a few minutes ago shooting 8.15x46r. It is my favorite round. I have been shooting German schuetzen & stalking rifles chambered for 8.15x46r for 35 years. My favorite load is 13.4 gr IMR4227, large pistol primers, RWS brass. I use a 165gr stop ring bullet cast 25 to 1 or a 180 gr stop ring bullet cast 25 to 1 lubed with liquid alox. The 165 gr mold is still available from NEI, I'm not sure about the 180 gr pointed bullet. All of my rifles are falling block single shots chambered for a stop ring bullet I don't know if a bolt action in this caliber was chambered to use a stop ring bullet. From my experience the rifles designed to use a stop ring bullet won't shoot a breach seated bullet very well. This is a mild target load. Good luck, you will like this round for target use. I haven't hunted deer for several years, when I did, I used a 8.15x46r stalking rifle with a 185 gr gas checked bullet. I was very careful to get close & take good aim, never lost a wounded animal.
Mike

IP Logged

mistymeadows
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the response. I had a chamber cast and rifling cast made. The lands are.321 and the grooves are .331. Thinking about trying 12 grains of n110 as a start for the 180 grain cast bullet.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
accurate molds has a modern design stop ring

www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=33-182N-D.png 

And their system lets you order and vary the dimensions a little bit to adjust to your own rifles bore groove and throating how the throat is cut.
Some rifles designed for "stop ring" bullets may need to have cases shortened sightly to seat the loaded round without jamming the leading edge of the stop ring into the leade and making for difficult chambering.   
Some of our ASSRA shooters simply breech seat the standard tapered or cylindrical into the rifling and use their 8.15x46r rifles just like any other target single shot on the line.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint