Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How Did They Do It? (Read 6546 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

How Did They Do It?
Sep 15th, 2012 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I got to thinking..My usual work week is 60 hours..10hrs./day.  Granted, I don't get out of work until 3:00AM & getting up real early gets harder at end of week.. And sometimes it is all I can do to get out to the range once a week.   However, I have read where Harvey Donaldson used to fire 50 to 100 rnds. of practice after work in order to be in shape for important matches.  Now this was in early 1900's..and I am sure their work days were about as long as mine..plus..they probably had a horse & perhaps other livestock to be fed & watered..plus wood to be chopped & stacked..water to be pumped & carried into house..alot more busy work than us modern types have to put up with.
   How in the world did they have the time (or energy)
to cast bullets, mix up lube, and all the 101 other little things that constitute our sport?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How Did They Do It?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
It takes a tremendous amount of dedication and a want to win. When one has reached that point in life they will find the time.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:21am
Print Post  
I was raised on a dairy farm.  I can relate to 14-16 hour days 6 days a week and 8-10 on Sunday.  It is relatively easy when you don't know any better, just the norm.  I couldn't even get started today after living the good life for 40+ years.  

I asked Dennis Martinin (sic?) the multi-time NRA silhouette champion what it takes to shoot like he does.  He told me, 6 days a week to maintain, 7 to improve.  I ain't goin' there.  This is supposed to be fun.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Hello, Schuetzenmiester..I here ya on the fun part...When I do make it out to range..I want to relax..have fun..and perhaps LEARN something.  It seems everyone is in a big hurry today!..even the guys at range all seem to want to shoot fast..and as soon as the all clear is called..practically run down range & back!
   I guess that is what I like about single shot rifle shooting...especially if using black powder...it forces you to slow down.  
   The other day..I had whole range to myself..there I was with the little No. 3 Ballard .25-25, shooting Swiss 3FG.  I got into a Zen-like zone...fire..extract..deprime with Simmons tool..drop case into soapy water..run barely damp patch thru..leave bore wet & fire again.  Time seemed to stand still!
    And at home, after rifle was cleaned & put away, cases tumbling in hot soapy water...I felt I learned a few new things, and even though I was tired..it was a GOOD tired feeling!

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Brian Chilson, NRA Top Ranked BPCR Silhouette and Target match shooter practices shooting 22 LR ammo using inserts.  Brian told me his average number of rounds shot annually is between 12 - 14,000!

Practice does have Pay Backs ... 2 years ago at the Eastern Regional BPCR Silhouette Match - he dropped 40 out of 40 targets ... shooting in the rain
PS:  Brian also has a full time job!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Historically speaking,  ranges were more common and shooting in the back yard or in the farm wood lot or down the lane added the opportunity without a long commute. And even then the wides-spread availability of the trolly made getting to the range a lot quicker in many cases.
Another factor to might have been that a lot of these guys were offhand shooters and they did not have to haul and deal with all the impedimenta that we burden ourselves with.

The old-timers worked hard and longer hours than most of us do now, but remember that life was a lot less demanding (in some ways) back then.  No TV or Intenet, little league, very little organized spectator sports, etc etc to suck up time.   And has been said, the top shooters, the ones were read about, were probably far from the average in the commitment to shooting.  Some appear to have been Semi-pro and made money off the sport.  Others were men "of means" who could afford it.   then too we hear nothing about the domestic prices they might have paid for their achievements.

In terms of modern practice,  A quality pellet rifle or even a good 22 rf with CB (primer only) ammo can give good alternative offhand practice anyplace you have 30 feet of clear space in which to shoot.  I shoot in the basement in bad weather and from inside the back door into the back-yard when it's nice.  I've been shooting the Aguila "sans-poudre" ammo in one of my 22's and it makes about half the noise of a kids cap pistol---less than my Pellet rifle even--and the accuracy is good enough for my level of off-hand shooting. Like most, [i]making[/i] the time is my problem. I ought to be practicing right now I suppose

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Here's the latest on Brian Chilson's it ... Pays to Practice!
September 15th:
Today at Shippensburg, PA Brian Chilson shot 10 chickens and went for a long run record. He knocked down the 11th one and missed the 12th one. He was shooting scope class and shot a total score of 37 in switching and variable winds. No one else has made it past 10 chickens before. I was there at Ridgway when he shot the 10 chickens before and that was the day he shot the perfect score of 40.
John Bly

So that puts another 10 pin in his existing drawer full shooting silhouette.  Might add: always help to have an excellent spotter and his wife Debbie is about the best there is in theses days at the sport 

To add to DWS's post: Brian has a range behind his house and is not a man of 'means'.  He is a roofer

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I'm guessing a little research would reveal that competitive shooters a century and more ago were not wood choppers and cow milkers and didn't own a horse. Interesting the image we have of life then. I'd bet further that a lot of the good shooters then were gentlemen of some means. They were not shooting $3 boys rifles ordered from the catalog or bought at the local feed store.

And yup, no TV, no internet, no text messaging, no kids soccer... I'm saddened at the amount of parent planned activities kids today have to endure. The days are gone for most kids when mom says, "Go outside and play," and you grab your Daisy BB gun on the way out the back door.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
We have to remember that "schuetzen" was pretty much an urbanized semi-formal offhand game brought over by a more or less middle class immigration of Germans driven over by the social upheavals of Europe in the 1840s.  It had a long established history going back to cross bow days at least, and probably farther.
  It was not the earlier immigration of mostly agricultural workers and religious dissenters.  They were a real unique subset of shooters in America.  Not your frontier/country-boy hunter-marksman type, though as the sport became formalized (and as the $$$ prizes rose) other non-germanic marksmen got involved. 
  They were urban businessman and craftsmen who took the trolly, buggy or bicycle to the range on the edge of town in their jackets,vests, ties, and hats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
... don't forget military personnel.  Run down this list on names ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Colonel Sir. H. St.John Halford was gentrified and a BPR gun crank of the nth degree. His book is well worth reading if you haven't 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Gotta read that.

Imagine trying to recruit a new shooter by saying, "Here's what you need," and showing them the cost of a multi-barrel/multi-stock set-up from CPA. They'll choose to go with the 10/22 crowd and start accessorizing in that game. I have no problem with that. Get to shooting safely, and bring the family. One of the most popular games our club runs is indoor air pistol silhouette during the rainy season. I'm just sad it stops when the weather warms.

Gotta start somewhere, I guess. You guys are doing a good job for me. I'm learning so much from this forum, and finding affordable ways to have more fun shooting.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:25pm by Kermit1945 »  

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Just think of all the money you can save at Schuetzen,  why you only need ONE cartridge case,     Ri-i-i-i-i--i-i-ight Grin

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Sep 16th, 2012 at 1:21am:

I asked Dennis Martinin (sic?) the multi-time NRA silhouette champion what it takes to shoot like he does.  He told me, 6 days a week to maintain, 7 to improve.  I ain't goin' there.  This is supposed to be fun.

I shot NRA Pistol competitively for most of 30 years, SS rifle for the past 11 years. This is my experience: While never practiced enough at either, having made the leap to competitive shooting the fun comes from shooting well. Not necessarily the BEST but shooting up to my capability or better. Shooting poorly is decidedly NOT fun!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Here's the latest on Brian Chilson's it ... Pays to Practice!
September 15th:
Today at Shippensburg, PA Brian Chilson shot 10 chickens and went for a long run record. He knocked down the 11th one and missed the 12th one. He was shooting scope class and shot a total score of 37 in switching and variable winds. No one else has made it past 10 chickens before. I was there at Ridgway when he shot the 10 chickens before and that was the day he shot the perfect score of 40.
John Bly

So that puts another 10 pin in his existing drawer full shooting silhouette.  Might add: always help to have an excellent spotter and his wife Debbie is about the best there is in theses days at the sport 

To add to DWS's post: Brian has a range behind his house and is not a man of 'means'.  He is a roofer
Only three (3) 10 chickens pins have ever been given out and Brian has two of them. He said as turned from the line after missing #12, "guess that will have to wait for another day." Am guessing he is not going to rest on his laurels.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint