Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scopes (Read 7933 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

Scopes
Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:19am
Print Post  
What is the difference between the redfield 3200 and the 4200?  Thanks, Hank   Smiley

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Re: Scopes
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:51am
Print Post  
The 6400's I see are usually lower priced. Is it jsut an appearance thing? The earlier 3200 is longer and resembles the Fecker/Lyman/Unertl group[ more. Is that what it's about. I keep thinking there must be a reason for the pricing. Of course, it may not be a GOOD reason.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
The biggest problem with them is not the scope, theya re great, but the mounting setup. The main issue I have experienced with the excellent 6400 (OR the similar unertl Bl-50) is that it is a shorter tube/eye relief scope. In that way it is like  it wont fit between the normal target scope block, of if it does it is way too forward to see through.  THis makes them slightly less desirable, in our circles,  than the more "traditional-class" scopes.
If mounted on a system that cantilevers the scope back into eye relief range it can present problems getting the cartridge into the chamber on high-sided actions--and really complexicates using lever type breach-seaters.
Obviously this impacts some actions/cartridges more than others. Using a higher mounted scope gives more clearance and shooting fixed ammo helps too.  I plan on using one on a non-traditional-class offhand rifle with fixed ammo.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
That's odd,
I have both the BV-20 and a Redfield 6400 on my Ruger # 1-V's and have never had a problem, always have more than enough eye relief, with the 6400 I use the rear and middle set of factory holes with factory rings and bases, with the BV-20 I use the rear and front set of factory holes ( 7.2" ) with Unertl bases of course,  there just mounted on the barrel using the factory drilled holds.

What's so different with any of the other Single Shots such as a Winchester Hi-Wall or a Rolling Block, or any other SS that has a scope mounted on the barrel ?.
  Harry

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
not sure,   maybe its just my eyes.  then too it was a couple years ago  I tried them.   neither one fitted right for me and I had more trouble with the 6400 than the Unertl.   Are you using them on breach-seating type rifles?

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 3:10pm:
not sure,   maybe its just my eyes.  then too it was a couple years ago  I tried them.   neither one fitted right for me and I had more trouble with the 6400 than the Unertl.   Are you using them on breach-seating type rifles?

Yep, using them for both breach-seating and fixed ammo. There's nothing special about them, just run or the mill Factory # 1-V's.

I have had both the BV-20 and the 6400 on Winchester hi-Walls and Rolling Blocks and never had a problem. Of course the holes were drilled in the barrels of those guns just like the factory # 1's.

All of my SS rifles have three sets of base holes same as the Ruger 1-V's so I can use the long scopes like a  Unertl or Lyman or the short scopes like the 6400.

I think I have some photos of them, if I do I'll up load them to the forum, you will see that you have a lot of room for breach-seating and eye relief as you can see how far the eye piece comes back over the safety on the # 1.

The 6400 is not as critical as the BV-20 as it has 1/8" internal adjustments so the hole spacing isn't that critical as far as adjustments go, but I still have all my rifles set up the same way so I can use most any scope I want on most any rifle.
  Harry

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
My guess I was trying to use the holes that were predrilled in the barrel---two far apart and to far forward

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Mr. Pope the problem is easy to see if you look at the pictures rafter3 posted. On most traditional rifles the front scope block is above the tip of the forearm, maybe an inch or two back sometimes. Now can you see the problem? To mount a 6400 on a traditional rifle would require drilling and tapping another set of holes. Not a good idea if your rifle has any collector value.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting the pictures,  Ken nailed the problem on the head.  All I'd need to do is make an extra long weaver-type rail or set of long blocks that fit the "traditional" scope block spacing and are thick enough and then milled to cantilever the back scope ring over the action.

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 3:09pm:
Mr. Pope the problem is easy to see if you look at the pictures rafter3 posted. On most traditional rifles the front scope block is above the tip of the forearm, maybe an inch or two back sometimes. Now can you see the problem? To mount a 6400 on a traditional rifle would require drilling and tapping another set of holes. Not a good idea if your rifle has any collector value.

Mr. Quarter Bore,
I wasn't talking about a rifle that has any collector value, read my post, I was talking about my Ruger # 1-V's, and how the factory uses three sets of holes on the barrel so that most any type of scope can be used. And like the pictures rafter3 posted,  there is a simple way around mounting any scope on any SS barrel without hurting it, as you probably know Steve E. will make up just about any type base you want. 

I would never drill a collector rifle, or for that matter even shoot one a lot, one small mistake and it's all over.

I'm sure you have seen the photos recently of what I'm talking about.

All I was doing was trying to help DWS with a scope mounting problem, not hurt a collectors item.
   Harry

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Note that Ken said IF,   Ken knows the rifles I'm talking about, and no more holes is a rule for me,  Now on the Ruger Schuetzen I'm slowly working on I'll have no problem at all using my 6400.

But to get back to the original poster's question it is the problem of mounting these scopes on traditional rifles without drilling that keeps some guys from using the short scopes--and the prices down--relatively.  I know several guys who were shooting original German schuetzens who unloaded 6400's at very reasonable prices because they could not adapt them to the dovetail rails. 
Mounting a long weaver blocks to the top of one of Steve Earle's so you can move the scope back would solve the problem.  However if one cares to shoot the rifle in the ASSRA "traditional" class one generally uses an outside adjust scope.  If you are going to be shooting modern single shots there are more modern scopes that are more advanced tech-wise.   As a result there is a pretty narrow market for these scopes, which also tends to keep the price down.  At EG , over they years, I have seen more of them go home with the seller than with a new owner

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Wayne,
Would something like this work for you?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Another option is a Davidson base blank ( from Sinclair) 7" long. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
It would require a Kelby type (from Sinclair) 1" rings. The base blank is flat bottom.  It would fit nice on a octagon flat. You might also find other type base stock  for different rings  from Brownells.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
or
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
  If your barrel is drilled for a Unertl type scope, you could probably pick up 3 screw holes.  I test rifles by using double sided tape and similar one piece 10" long base  with two 3/8" dovetail  Unertl style bases milled on it. Warning, I use a couple of wraps of tape around the base and forend as security in the double sided tape releases.  
Kurt   
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2012 at 7:29am by Kurt_701 »  

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 8:49am
Print Post  
All of these can be good working solutions for the base issue.
      To add a bit more on that aspect; in the past I have also glued standard blocks on an original barrel that had no screw holes at all.  Since I did not want to put any in an original Swiss 22 RF, I glued blocks on using Brownells "Black Magic". 
     That is their packaging of carbon fibre reinforced "toughened" CA glue.   It held up well with reasonable careful handling and the block could be removed with a sharp lateral rap from a small hammer and the residue removed with solvent leaving the unmarred original surface.
      I recognize that by imposing a personal "do no harm" rule on unaltered originals it limits my options to these type of work-arounds---but thats my choice.
         But I will be using it again, on another project in the near future.  This will be on another original martini-actioned Euro-rifle with no dovetail rib and no screw holes.  This time it will be on a long stepped rib (in conjunction with a open-sight dovetail filler block) to put a BV-50 back where it will work for me.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2012 at 8:56am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 11:07am
Print Post  
That "Black Magic"  sounds like a great idea, but just how good does it hold, have you tried it on something like a 32-40 ?.
  Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint