Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hot Tip - Instant, Well a Few Minutes! (Read 2579 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Hot Tip - Instant, Well a Few Minutes!
Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Hot Glue ... to modify a top punch or seating die plug so your bullet noses don't get buggered.

For years - aluminum foil was my method to modify a TP or seating die plug but last night I gave up on the foil in the seating die plug.  It wouldn't hold in the hole - pieces of aluminum kept falling out.

Frustrated trying to seat 100gr round nose 32-20's with a plug that is cone shape.  Then the light bulb lite and said  - Why Not?  Hardens Almost Instantly Wink and Worked Perfectly!

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hot Tip - Instant, Well a Few Minutes!
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
JB,

Since it does harden so quickly, how did you fill the punch without overfilling it and ensure it was aligned correctly with the bullet and case when the glue hardened?  I'm assuming the punch was in the die and mounted in your press, and you had a bullet setting on the case ready to quickly install.  If so, than the glue gun nozzle must be pretty skinny to reach up into the die and potentially could make quite a mess (glue the punch to the die) if too much glue was used.  So how did you determine how much glue to squeeze into the die?  I.e. need more details.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2012 at 10:24pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 12:04am
Print Post  
What I do is use the 5 min. epoxy, In a lathe bore the punch cavity oversize, put in the head stock or drill chuck and a bullet in the other, grease the bullet nose, fill punch cavity with epoxy and screw together. Let sit a few minutes and gently turn the head stock to break the bond. You have a perfect fit. File the excess epoxy off. It can also be done with a drill press or even in a loading press but a lathe works great. With a lathe you can also make the punch if you don't have one to alter.

John,,,,,

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
J B Weld. Higher elastic modulus than hot glue. I use it for lube machine tips and seating dies. 

Dr Tom

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I too made custom fitted punches using two-part epoxy.  I did mine a bit different..I used a Bridgeport..indicated punch held in V block..chucked bullet in spindle collet & insured running true.  One nice thing is that depth control can be set.
   The last one I made..I had a brainstorm..used Cerosafe alloy..works like a charm..and faster!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint