Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Two Different Groupings? (Read 1373 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Two Different Groupings?
Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  Last weekend, I was finally able to get out to range with the British Proofed Remington rolling block Mid-range .40-70. firing line is covered, temp. was in mid 80's.  I noticed while peering thru tang sight appature, the hole appeared to be changing shape..the target bull still appeared black & round..but it was as though a drop of oil was obstructing one side of appature.  Then I noticed I was getting two distinct grouping on target..not from consecutive shots..right above one another..one in center of bull, the other at top edge of 6" black bull..windage identical for both groupings.
  Wonder if heat off brl.?  I was shooting 70gr. Swiss 1 1/2 & noticed brl. getting quite warm..or maybe my 50 plus year old eyes were playing tricks?
    One thing that couldn't have helped..I had forgotten my shoulder pad..and that 10lb. regulation match rifle was sure backing off that 330gr. Brooks Creedmoor bullet!  My shoulder has some nice looking "case-colors"! Wink

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Two Different Groupings?
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
how 'bout your eyes,  Do you have "floaters" in them?   I do and sometimes it can give a visual like you are seeing a little bit double in the right eye.  I have a favorite scope with real fine crosshairs and a little tiny dot.  doesn't quite cover the white bull on the ASSRA target @200  Recoil can get the "floaters" moving and when I was shooting the swiss 7.5 I kind of had to choose between which dot I wanted to use.  Not much of a problem with the 22 rfs though they can get "loose' for other reasons too.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint