Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can't see bullet holes at 200 yds. (Read 2809 times)
Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Can't see bullet holes at 200 yds.
Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Colleagues: the weather is changing up here in the Pacific North Wet, and as a result, the bullet holes in the 200 yard target are harder to see in the spotting 'scope when I shoot in the mornings.

I heard that if a Shooter placed a white sheet or a piece of Tyvek on the ground behind the target or partially on the berm, the light would reflect up, making the bullet holes visible.

Anyone know if this is true?

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: Can't see bullet holes at 200 yds.
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Hello, Ray_Newman..I was told by an old shooting friend,,long since gone to his reward..Don Metzger, to place one of those fluorescent orange posters sold at dollar store on angle behind target..when bullet goes thru..it looks like someone turned on an orange light thru hole..I bought the poster...But sadly the Michigan Schuetzen matches are just about gone so I never needed it at the short 100yd. range I now use.

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
A red camera lense filter held up to your spotting scope will 'wash' out the orange center of the target and turn the bullet holes black. If the mirage is real bad you may need to go in and out of focus to find them. It works for us shooting in heavy mirage in CA.

Jerry H

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
If you hold a red camera filter and look through it into your spoting scope, it will help darken the holes in the red bull.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
If using a Black Bull staple a white garbage bag directly behind your target and if shooting a Red Bull use a black one. The holes in the plastic will self close per-say and brighten up the bullet holes in the target and it should solve your problem.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
All of the above suggestions work - some better than others depending on weather conditions.

For our Military Matches, we use target frames with added supports behind the targets angled at approximately 30 degrees from vertical.  Large white plastic sheets are then stretched over these supports.  Because of the angle, the plastic sheets collect available light (even on overcast days) and reflect that light back through the bullet holes.  

The system isn't perfect as it can be seriously compromised by heavy mirage but it does work under all other conditions.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

JerryW
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
All of the above helped me sometimes but Jack H. From the Modesto Rifle Club gave me a hint he said get a pair of glasses with clear lens insted of the tinted ones I had. Now my 78 year old eyes need the red filter once in awhile. JerryW

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint