Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cannon Rebuild (Read 32436 times)
skratch
Ex Member

Re: Cannon Rebuild
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
What type of projectile? Rifled bore? The canister load would be devastating!  Shocked Do you know how my 800gr load would  translate to oz's? It seems a bit low by the way the gun reacted. I'll probably be shooting at about 400 - 500 yds max.

John...

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Round ball, smooth bore, pure wheel weights, about 3 lbs in weight.  7000 grains divide by 16 eachs 437.5 grain or one oz.  rule of thumb start with 1 1/2 oz per bore inch. 3 lb ball weighs more than concrete. But retain your wind age around your projectile.  The ball should roll out it you tilt the barrel down. If it sticks it is to tight for the bore.  Always worm first then load the first round, then worm sponge,worm again.  With a thumb over the vent hole the entire time.  This is done between each shot.Never ever hold the rod tight in your hand.  Palm facing up on the rod, and thumb is never ever touching the rod.  Because if you did have a miss fire your arm does not go down range with the ram rod.

IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
OK, if I figured right for a 2" bore I would need about 3 oz or approx. 1300 gr. For projectile windage a 1 7/8" ball would be about right.
I know a guy that has a 2'' tube and a custom 1 7/8" mold, I have a lot of pure & wheel weight lead. Maybe I can work a deal with him.  Wink
Thanks for the info AND advice! 

John...

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
If he is shooting the same size.   Duplicate his load and see how it works.  His charge would be the same as yours.  Easier to copy than start from scratch.
Bill

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info sportslube, I go one step further. I made a test tube using a short piece of brass stock that would allow the projectile to roll through. If the Golf ball does not roll freely I do not use it. The gage is bored to 1.750 as I fire a Motar. I am not so lucky to have the Desert to use for a range, just a 200 yard rifle in ME. and lots of woods.

ron

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 8:13am
Print Post  
skratch , nice to see that you got to chance to fire the canon. I bet that it was a great feeling to see and hear the results of your labor. Smiley

ron

IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
ron, yes it was!  Smiley I've got a mold on order and am making the ram rod, worm and mop while waiting on cooler weather to get out and shoot.

John....

IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 12:47am
Print Post  
I've just got to post this.  Wink I figured since the cannon is half scale and my wife is too I got her to pose for the pic. I told her she was Sgt. of the 1st Northern Socorro Co. Light Artillery because she got to light the fuse and could run faster than me. She's a good sport.  If she knew I posted it though she'd probably poke me with the bayonet.  Grin
Still waiting on the mold and cooler weather,, Smiley

John....
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2012 at 1:52am by »  

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Hi John

It is fun to poke fun at the wife. Grin but just remember where your bread is buttered  Wink. You don't want to lose the Butter. I speak from experience, or put another way. I am good at putting my foot in the wrong place at times while poking fun at the wife.LOL Wink

ron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint