Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 81588 times)
drc

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 1:33am
Print Post  
One of the folks over on the Shiloh board posted took these pics

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 2:01am
Print Post  
WOW, I don't think that even a forged frame would have taken that failure. The Shilo site said it was the first shot out of the ammo box and the ammo was sealed after the blow up, I assume that means they are going to check what the actual load was in the cases. Hopefully that info will be released.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I saw a rifle blow up at WNYSS ~20-25 years ago, went home and sold all my "weak" action guns.
My rule is simple-if it won't take a double charge, I won't use it.  Only weak gun I own is a Maynard, I'm a rule breaker.
I do not understand why anyone uses a ballard, stevens 44 etc with CF smokeless loads. 
Time goes on, actions get old, guns blow up.
What's wrong with these people?
joe b.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Am with Joe on this one. 

No reason to use old actions for modern loads.   I used to use a fair amount of fast pistol powder loads in Trapdoors. They work well but the fear of double charge with disastrous results keeps me away from it now.   

Bet anything it was double charged.

Boats

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Re: 2012 "Q"

Postby Steve Garbe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:42 pm
Don,

Black powder in a black powder cartridge gun chambered for a black powder cartridge would seem to make sense to me. A cast frame Ballard was never meant to be chambered to a centerfire round, even if said round was loaded with black powder. Marlin knew this; that is why forged frame receivers were produced for the big single shot cartridges. Take note of what an old action is originally chambered for before you rebarrel. Cast frame Ballards make great .22 rim fires. Period.

This sad story would be infinitely more complicated if someone else on the line had been injured.

I hope it does make a few folks reconsider their loading techniques.

In case someone is currently shooting a cast-frame Ballard and doesn't know it...cast frames are marked with a three-line address on the left side of the receiver. If in doubt, drop the block out and examine the inside of the action. If it looks like it is cast instead of machined, DO NOT shoot it chambered for anything but .22 rimfire. If still in doubt, have someone who knows the difference examine the action.

Steve

Very good info for neighboring shooters

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Any action cast or forged could be a time bomb. Many of these have been built up over the years into varmint guns, target rifles and other forms of our esteemed shooting sports. At times some of these actions may have been compromised by overly hot hand loads or just poor maintenance or sub standard gunsmithing. MY contact said he was sure it was a liner failure which in turn caused the original barrel to fail which in turn caused the action failure. Makes perfect sense to me. If you have an old rifle and really want to be safe examine it really close and have it magnafluxed. It is cheap insurance. X-ray is a good idea too. I have a cousin who is an x-ray tech who did my Ballard and it is OK. Gary Quinlan here about a year ago told me a story of a friend of his who decided to shoot a very high end collectors pistol who now has about 1.25 worth of scrap iron. It blew up. Old guns as JoeB said do that occasionally just like old cars, motorcycles or whatever. These steel actions forged or cast take a beating and most survive as we do, then there are these others that just happen to fail. I always try to shoot a new to me old rifle tied down to a tire with a large string. I have been burnt before even after due diligence of checking it out really good. There is never  a fail proof gun. Hell modern production guns fail. But with the help of a good smith and leg work on our part we can narrow the odds down that are rifles will not end up maiming us or others. I' restoring a Winchester Model 93 shotgun for a friend and had to really hunt for a new bolt, his was cracked. He had been shooting high base 12 ga. smokeless in it for years. I think he had some one watching over his dumb ass and that is what I told him. Too many of this model blew up, that is why it was discontinued and they made the Model 1897, more for smokeless powder and a better grade of steel. He promised to only shoot black hand loads in it from now on if he ever shoots it again.
Mike

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:00am
Print Post  
For folks that do not know that frame in the picture is a CAST FRAME. A FORGED FRAME has no hollow cavity under the barrel threads, it is a solid forging milled out. 
Just because a Ballrd has a 3 or 2 line adress does not deem it a cast or forged frame. I have seen both 2 line cast frames and in turn 3 line forged frames. But most 2 line frames are forged and most 3 line frames are cast but that is not 100% correct. But almost.
Mike

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #37 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I'll state the obvious, It is good to know, when you pull the trigger, if it is a rifle or if it is a bomb.

Good advice here, thanks all for posting it.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #38 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Michael brought up one of the most important features that makes the cast Ballard much weaker. The hollow below the barrel threads. Forged Ballard receivers are stronger, but not just because they are forged, but because they are forged and solid under the barrel.
Cast frames are not cast iron, they are cast steel, but that's not enough to overcome the inherent weakness of cast steel and a hollow void below the barrel that is fairly thin.
I doubt the barrel or liner failed. I would guess the receiver cracked longitudinally which allowed the barrel to exit the threads and then the receiver had a catastrophic final failure that blew out the left side.
I've given up beating the drum against chambering cast Ballard actions in CF cartridges. Seems those who own them will swear this sort of failure could never happen.

IP Logged

RwBeV
Participating Member

Reply #39 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
If you look at the lower left of whats left of the action there is a square section of metal.  In both pictures there is a Grey area behind the bright shinny cracked area.  I cant be sure with out looking at the action but that looks suspiciously like and old crack, they will fill with dirt and oil over time thats why the dull color.   The bright shinny is all new metal thus new crack.

The weak link here is people!!  Many moons ago while I was working for a gunsmith here in town a fellow brought in a very nice Stevens 44 that was chambered in 32-40.  He wanted it checked out before he shot it.  The first thing that Jerry (the smith I was working for) had me do was to run it over to the Welding Shop and have it Magna-Fluxed.  The powder showed a sub-surface crack about 2/3's the way along the receiver ring.  When I brought it back Jerry, to my surprise had me bob the firing pin so that it could not be fired.  We also filled out a form that stated the gun was unsafe to fire and had the guy sign it.  To make a long story short the fellow brought it back a few weeks later mad as hell that his gun wouldn't go off.  He had found a box of John Wayne commemorative ammo and tried to shoot it, told us if we wouldn't fix it then he would find someone that would.  Jerry very nicely invited him to get the &%%$ out of his shop.  I wonder if he still has all his fingers? 

Bob

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #40 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:05am
Print Post  
I think it was double charged,recoil split away some of the wood where the receiver and stock meet.

IP Logged

AJ

Reply #41 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:49am
Print Post  
With both a frame and breech block failure, it would seem like it is highly probable that this was an overload or a barrel obstruction issue.  Also, it is worth noting that the block failed in the area of the upper breach block screw..

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #42 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I'm sure if it turns out to be a double charge many will go back to feeling safe chambering centerfires in cast Ballards.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #43 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
  As a matter of fact, my #2 Ballard came from the factory chambered for a centerfire round. Angry But I think mafnafluxing ANY old action is a good idea.

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Remember that when the Ballards were coming out in centerfire, many were convertible, using either centerfire or rimfire equivalent cartridges and changeable by turning the firing pin over.  The rimfire were the disposable, expedient ones, the centerfiire were for those wanting to reload their own.  Both were loaded with equivalent blackpowder loads.  The fact that the rifle came in centerfire is no reason to believe that it is safe with a factory centerfire cartridge, a smokeless load, or even a modern load of blackpowder.

Most of the rifles of the day had relatively light bullets.  Today, many shooters (particularly gong and BPCR) are pushing the envelope, shooting bullets that are twice the weight of the original; often designed to be seated out to maximize the blackpowder, or seated ahead of a smokeless load that develops who knows what pressure.  The limited data I have seen shows that original BP rounds probably developed less than 15,000 psi.  Many of the heavy bullet, highly compressed loads used today approach 30,000 psi.

I am fortunate enough to have a double set ballard in .22 lr.  It was just recently made, and for some reason it was made on a pacific action.  I wish I could trade the gunsmithing effort and barrel and finish put into that rifle into a cast frame rimfire one I have on hand, and have the action for a large bore blackpowder rifle!  It's interesting the mismatch of cartridges/frames that come about.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Send TopicPrint