Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 81586 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #105 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
wanna stop drunk drivers? take away everyone's license.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #106 - May 2nd, 2020 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I shoot smokeless in whatever I want long as it's safe.   

A modern made Cody Ballard is no stronger than an original forged Ballard. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - May 2nd, 2020 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
It wasn't long after the Ballard came apart when a modern Pedrasoli 45-70 did the samething at Quigely.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - May 2nd, 2020 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
the problem with 140 year old rifles is we don't know how much abuse or fatigue they have suffered.  just because they didn't blow up yesterday doesn't mean they won't blow up tomorrow  fatigue is cumulative.  best  art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #109 - May 2nd, 2020 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
One could only imagine how much abuse service rifles had to go through and they still are serving a very useful purpose of putting food on the table. If one has any doubts about a gun being safe that is what reputable gunsmith's are for. I have an old Springfield muzzle loading shotgun in the safe. Myself and my brother took it out numerous times for dove and pheasant hunting back in the 60's after we had it checked out.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #110 - May 2nd, 2020 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on May 2nd, 2020 at 5:32pm:
the problem with 140 year old rifles is we don't know how much abuse or fatigue they have suffered.  just because they didn't blow up yesterday doesn't mean they won't blow up tomorrow  fatigue is cumulative.  best  art

There are tell tale signs of abuse and wear, Art.   

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #111 - May 2nd, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Fortunately, verbal abuse neither shows or counts but may be repeated.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - May 2nd, 2020 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
In all the years that I have known Westerner, I have never seen him verbally abuse a firearm. If he does it in the privacy of his own home, I have no way of knowing. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #113 - May 2nd, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  

So true Art, but failures typically follow a bell curve. New guns can fail from manufacturing defect too. 
FWIW, Joe makes a good point, it's harder to spot problems on new guns.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #114 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
In my previous post ( #94 ) I said that anyone who uses smokeless powder in these old guns deserves all that they get.
I wish to state that, I certainly didn't mean personal injury, so I just want to clarify that point.
Secondly, there are many shooters who have great deal of experience with re loading using smokeless powder, there are also no doubt a few with less experience who think they know it all, and, are prepared to pass on information to someone with an antique rifle who is just starting out in this game. This information could easily be faulty, resulting in an accident. 
Thirdly, as we get older we may not all get smarter, no one likes to admit this of course, but it's a fact of life for most of us.
I have no doubt that it would be very easy to double charge such a large capacity, such as a 40-65, without noticing you had done it.
Double charging a 40-65 with BP however is not possible, no matter how inexperienced you may be, to the best of my knowledge this goes for all BP cartridges.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #115 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy
There is probably a good argument for re testing motor car drivers over 80 a well as they are over represented in vehicle accidents, having said that I can't see that as happening either.
Mike.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #116 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
There was an earlier comment about rifles being overly stressed over the years. Everyone of them has actualy purposely gone through that it's called proofing before they were ever sold.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #117 - May 2nd, 2020 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
There's no such thing as a safe gun powder, whether it's smokeless or black. Yes, some smokeless powders can be double, triple, or quadruple charged. But do we really care about that chance? Or do we simply log it into our brain and decide not to use some smokeless powders?
I'm totally comfortable after 50 years of loading everything I've owned with smokeless. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but I can only control what I do, and make sure I load safely. I wont condemn whatever choice someone makes in BP or smokeless powder. I may point out a particular powder as unsafe, or the charge unsafe. After that it's up too the individual to decide if he or she follows advice or warnings.
But remember, when smokeless powders became the rage everyone was pretty quick to start loading all these old guns with smokeless. And do we hear of many blown up over the last 125 years? And when we do it's usually pretty easy to determine what went wrong, and it's almost never the gun's fault.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #118 - May 3rd, 2020 at 8:54am
Print Post  
I guess one thing that hasn't been stated is black powder has an absolute maximum pressure that will not surpass the yeild limits of quality steel. Smokeless will easily wreck any rifle designed whatever the steel composituon. When all the single shot rifles were designed years ago only black powder was available and the designs for the most part were safe in that timeframe. Then here comes smokeless and the various designs began to fail to no fault of their own rather the lack of respect of the potential dangers in loading smokeless whatever the action. Know the actions strengths as well as the powder's capabilities and all is well but it's some folk's nature to push the limits and disaster is their educator. How the reloading business manages to stay in business is a marvel to me when so many have it in their genes to learn the hard way. They should be commended for there efforts.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2020 at 9:00am by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #119 - May 3rd, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 8:54am:
How the reloading business manages to stay in business is a marvel to me when so many have it in their genes to learn the hard way. They should be commended for there efforts.

Probably the 10x safety factor built into modern firearms  Grin

Steve Garbe told me they tried to blow up a modern steel Cody Ballers and could not do it.  Cool

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Send TopicPrint