Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 80723 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Jun 18th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I'm going to throw another cup of gasoline on the old cast frame ballard discussion.  It probably should carry forward to similar conversations such as the recent H&A large action cast frame discussion.

This week, I was at the Quigley shoot in Montana.  During the match, a woman was seriously injured when a cast frame ballard rebarrelled to .40-65 and shot with smokeless powder came apart in her hands.  She will likely retain all her fingers following reconstructive surgery, and will regain some use of the left hand.  A chest wound and shrapnel in her face is further damage.  Luckily, her eyes will be okay. Fortunately, no adjacent shooters were injured and medical response was available within seconds; two doctors were on the line in the same relay with her and EMT's and an ambulance were also there within a few hundred feet.

I want to re-iterate what I have said a couple of times before.  There is absolutely no reason to use an action that is weaker than the normal or probable capability of the cartridge it is loaded for.  Cast frame ballards are for rimfire .22's.  With the relatively low cost of stronger actions, why in the world would you chamber one of these actions for a large case centerfire?  Regardless of your own loading practices; someone in the future can, and probably will, load it inappropriately.  You may be smart enough to use reduced loads, but there's always some less skilled or more ignorant that won't.

The load this came apart with was .40-65 case, AA 5744 powder, about 20 or 22 grain load.  Considered a blackpowder equivalent load by many, but obviously too much for this gun.  In retrospect, I bet a nice high wall action for a few hundered dollars more would seem a huge bargain compared to medical bills, rehab, and a lifetime of disability.

dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Usually when a rifle has been shot before w/o anything happening and then you have catastrophic failure, it because of a double charge. I saw a nicely engraved Ballard in 32/40 come apart that way (double charged) just two benches from me.

I would be interested regarding the barrel particulars. Nothing can happen radiually until the barrel fails and it always starts at the extrator cut (you should always have a radius in the extractor cut, bigger the better).

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

PetahW

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Sad in both human and equipment terms, for sure.

I've been preaching against chambering ANY cast-iron actions for other than RF cartridges since Our Lord was a Corporal - but some folks will always know better.

I'm wondering if that poor lady had a hand in the planning for that time bomb, or was an innocent shooter.

IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:55pm
Print Post  

A cousin of mine blew a nice 32-40 Ballard using smokeless. I'd told him and told him but some people you just waste your breath. He was shooting from his truck, only damage was shrapnel holes all over the headliner and ringing ears.....then he arc welded the split breach block together and the cracks in the frame and shot it again.  Shocked That time it locked up the action solid, may have saved his life. Now it's a wall hanger.

I hope the lady recovers with no lasting effects.

John...
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:52pm by »  

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:07am
Print Post  
This is exactly what I think about every time I see a cast frame Ballard chambered for a .32-40 or .38-55 up for sale on an internet or local auction.
99% of the time the sellers act stupid and get a bad case of the "dunnos" when questioned about the gun's background, or worse yet, turn a deaf ear on anyone trying to enlighten them to the dangers of shooting such a rig of which unsuspecting buyers should be made aware of.

I'm sorry that this woman will have to endure some very painful memories and lasting physical reminders of what should have been an enjoyable experience. Sad

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
My very first Schuetzen rifle was a cast frame Ballard chambered in .32-40.  When I purchased it, I was ignorant of all things Ballard and relied 100% on the word of the seller.

Fortunately (in retrospect -- at the time it didn't seem fortunate in the least), the rifle kept breaking and needed major repair work.  The breech block was a badly converted rimfire block that devoured firing pins and mainsprings at an amazing rate.

The rifle went off to Ballard Rifle (in Cody) and I was contacted directly by Steve Garbe who told me in no uncertain terms that he would not repair this rifle in center-fire configuration.   

After some discussion, Steve agreed to rebuild the breech block back to rim-fire configuration and install a .22 LR Krieger barrel.  The results were spectacular.  And, when I eventually sold the rifle, it was with a clear conscience.

I subsequently learned that it's not necessarily the injudicious hot load that causes immediate, spectacular failure in these actions.  The action could have been damaged years ago but with with no visible effects.  In that state, it can fail at any time even when carefully loaded.    

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Would be interesting to know how the Ballard failed. Was it a hoop failure of the receiver ring or the failure of the sidewalls or breechblock? Being cast, it would probably shatter, so might be hard to tell.
Chuck

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I'm not advocating the use of dangerous actions but, I do want to point out that a receiver can not fail radially until the barrel does. The Ballard that I saw fail had a leaded and sulphurized barrel threaded into it. The load (double charge) First caused the barrel to split at the extractor cut, the framed then failed because it could not contain the force released from the barrel failure. A frame (action) can not cause a barrel to fail radially! A frame exerts NO force that I know of other than what the threads exert on it axial and radially. The barrel (chamber) can exert force axially and that can cause a failure of the threads, breech block and the frame through as shown in the recent H&A thread but, if the barrel fails it isn't the fault of the action (frame), only that the frame could not contain the barrel failure. If you have trouble believing this, please note that a barrel can be fired w/o a frame holding it, just screw an cap on it and insert a pin in it for a firing pin and tap it with a "hammer". A very good example of what I'm talking about would be the very (my opinion) thin walls that high pressure revolvers have. I don't think any of us would feel very safe if our barrel shanks were so thin.

This is why I asked if anyone knew what barrel was used on that rifle.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:21pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thank you Frank for your explanation from a machinist view of whom would know such things.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Frank,
I mostly agree with you but the action can fail from thrust from the cartridge to the breach block The many cracked Ballard, Lowwall and Fox shotguns just didn't have catastrophic failure but. Some do have catastrophic failures and it has nothing to due with the barrel failure which can cause even a good action to fail.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Force is equal to pressure multiplied by area.  The force acting on the breech-face is equal to chamber pressure multiplied by the area of the cartridge base.

It seems to me that the force applied to the breech-face could be sufficient to "break" an inherently weak action such as the cast Ballard.  The chances of this would be increased if the action had been subject to abuse - such as firing excessively hot loads at some time in it's history.

I could be wrong, but life's too short to mess with questionable firearms.

JackHughs 

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Sorry Frank: if the barrel is steel---elastic-- and the receiver is grey cast iron---brittle and non-elastic, then the frame can fail first. When the frame cracks, it is no longer supporting the barrel hoop stresses and barrel failure will then follow--all in the space of a few micro-seconds.
Fred

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
First, I wish the injured shooter the best and speediest recovery possible. 

JackHughs wrote: Quote:
I could be wrong, but life's too short to mess with questionable firearms.

One problem with old firearms and actions, parts etc, is the lack of history behind them. Most of the stories heard at shows and shops are questionable, and are given to a potential buyer in order to obtain a sale. 

Was that refinished firearm or receiver, that now looks really nice, originally cracked and then welded and heat-treated properly by a qualified individual? Did it go through a house fire and happened to be randomly and intermittently sprayed by a fire hose (using water, or some unknown chemical fire retardant) creating who knows what kind of internal stresses etc, before simply being refinished and assembled to send it on down the road? 

Anyone can grenade a gun, including a brand new one. The older firearms must be approached from a far more sceptical and cautious perspective. 

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:06pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

james a pickup
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I once owned a cast Ballard action in 44-40.Now that is not considered a "hot" cartridge, but i never used a pure smokeless load in it.I did try a duplex , but found that a safe load would not burn the smokeless.After that i used nothing but FFG BP in it, and i had no trouble with it.I would NEVER use a pure smokeless load in a Ballard, for safetes sake.All it takes is one mistake,and BOOM.My father did that with a No.1 Rolling Block.The action held but the barrel was bulged and ruined just forward of the chamber.I think it was a "Senior moment" as he was 75 at the time.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
The rifle information I was given from shooters on the line that saw it and knew the shooter was that it was an original ballard, with a relined barrel that has been shot for many years that way.  The action split at the receiver ring, and the left side of the frame broke at the extractor cut, but did not blow out, as it held at the rear of the action.  The top of the receiver ring broke and went up, and the barrel went downrange.  The buttstock was splintered.  The shooter 2 to her right told me he saw the barrel tumbling down range, probably 50 yards or so.  His account was that the sound of the shot was a weird high pitched noise, not the usual echoing boom of a gunshot.   

One first hand observation of the remaining pieces of the action that was told to me was that it appeared to have had a very old crack in the frame barrel ring from the inside that could easily have been the start of a failure point.

From the circumstances described by the first hand accounts, the action let go, the barrel was blown out the front, rather than the chamber rupturing from a double charge.  Of course, it could have been an overcharge that initiated the whole sequence.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Send TopicPrint