Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Inclusions (Read 4894 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Inclusions
Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  The post on Remington rolling blocks by frnkeore is very interesting.
   Years ago, while restoring a Borchardt, as action was being polished, kept running into inclusions in surface...some of these actually became larger the more it was polished.  I stopped trying to get them out..and chalked it up to 19th century  archaic steel manufacture.
   Not too long ago, I was building a detail out of 1018 CRS.  Part was about 2"X 3", and in some areas, 
1 1/4" had to be milled off.  I was taking fine finish cut, when I began to see inclusions..scattered in various places and varying in depth.
   So even modern steels can have these defects hidden deep inside.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Inclusions
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
22-5-40: I ran into the same issue with an '84 JM Marlin Ballard #3 on the complete receiver.  Finally reduced the surface to the point where there were just small pock marks.  Had to leave the area where the Marlin patent markings were untouched

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Many of the early breechloading rifles had actions that were roughly formed by drop forging. The cut to size billets of steel or iron were heated to a yellow heat, placed in the female mould whereupon the male mould was tripped and dropped onto the ingot forging it to shape. Now anyone who has heated steel in a forge knows it gets a scaled surface due to oxydation of the surface and under the impact of the drop forge the metal is deformed and bent and the thin surface scale gets twisted and bent into the metal as it deforms. Usually actions were blued and the inclusions are virtually invisible. With CC Hardened actions they are more visible. Other inclusions can be slag which was accidentally left on the surface of the molten metal before it was cast into ingots prior to rolling and forming to shape after manufacture. All steels and irons are molten when smelted and are cast initially before other processes took place so there is always a chance that some metal will have inclusions in it. They may be scarcer today with modern casting techniques but errors will occur now and then.

Harry

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 10:17am
Print Post  
.22-5-40 and harry_eales--Thanks for your greater explanation regarding dropped forging process and characteristics of metals during forming actions.This is an area I am always looking for more info,especially when working on Ballard actions in smaller calibers---Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Cold shuts (maybe caused by inclusions) are also a concern with any wrought or forged metal. I have seen one cold shut in aerospace quality aluminum bar which was dye penetrant inspected after machining. It was not discovered until installation of the machined part (fasteners caused it to split) and would have caused a catastrophic failure. It is my excuse for moderate proof testing every new barrel or action.
Chuck

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Many years ago there was an article in the Rifleman by a metallurgist who actually cut up and analyzed some 19th century gun metal, including parts of an original SAA.  The metal he found was indeed rather "dirty" in just the way you describe.   

I once worked on a machine that was built to "scarf" surface flaws off a hot bloom during the rolling-out process.  Before Union Carbide built those machines, a guy in an asbestos suit used to do it with a cutting  torch, standing next to a 30-ton lump of steel that was orange hot.  You can see how he might miss a few!

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint