Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tang sight- who makes tall bases (Read 1832 times)
ireload2

Tang sight- who makes tall bases
Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:35am
Print Post  
I have several Pedersoli Sharps with Pedersoli sights.
Due to Pedersoli's poor design none of these sights will lay down enough to permit cleaning from the breech. 
If the sighting aperture is removed several other parts come off and the windage setting is lost. All in all a design not designed by anyone familiar with shooting and cleaning a rifle.

Does anyone make a sight designed for a Sharps clone that has a base and pivot pin mounting high/tall enough that it will allow the sight to lay down enough for cleaning?

Tks 
EDG

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tang sight- who makes tall bases
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Some sight manufactures allow you to flip the base end to end which moves the staff up the tang quite a bit.  Have you or can you try that first?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Tang sight- who makes tall bases
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I've got some rifle/sight combos that have similar situations. I made up flexible cleaning cords using parachute line, similar to the commercial ones. 
I bought a bunch of line, then opened up one end to allow me to push a bronze brush inside. Then I melted the end to hold it in place. On the other end I use a small brass rod in the end and melted the cord to hold the rod halfway in the cord.
I can drop the cord down the bore from chamber end and pull it through, so no issues with sights, and the crud goes out the muzzle, not into the action.
I made dozens of these in multiple calibers, and even some to hold a patch. They cost me less than $2 ea. and I toss them in the dishwasher when they need cleaning

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint