Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A freak accident (Read 9080 times)
mrnick
Ex Member

A freak accident
Aug 18th, 2011 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I had a close call in my reloading room today.  I have track lighting over my reloading bench with incandescent bulbs in it.  I also have not been very good at cleaning up spilled gunpowder.  I load both smokless and black powder for several rifles and pistols.  I turned on the lights and heard something falling and than there was a sizzling sound and than the room filled with smoke.  I ran over to the bench and stomped out the fire which consisted of buring paper.  I cleaned up the mess and noticed a broken light bulb in the debris.  I looked up and sure enough one of the bulbs was broken.  There was nothing but the screw in base left.  Apparently when I turned on the lights the bulb exploded and showered the reloading bench with hot filiments which ingited the spilled powder and started the fire.  Fortunatly I was able to extingish the fire before any damage was done.  I have replaced the incandescent bulbs with florescent ones and will take better care in cleaning up when I spill powder in the future.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A freak accident
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I use incandescent bulbs in swing arm lamps that are swiveled so the bulb will hit the floor instead of the bench. The swing arm lamps with the magnifying lenses come in real handy at times. 

Glad your accident didn't develop into something bigger. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
I posted a similar experience a couple of years ago, it may be in a deleted post so I'll repeat it.

I was asked to do an investigation into an accident an aquaintance had in his garage.  He had a pound of 2F black powder blow up on him, burning him severely.  Firefighters had concluded a fan motor must have sparked and threw a spark 10 feet or more, onto the powder.  I thought that doubtful, as the powder was in a covered container, and electrical motor sparks are minor.  Plus, the fan didn't have any problems that were apparent, after the event.

The conclusion I came to was that it was caused by a halogen light.

He mounted a 400 watt construction light over his bench so he could see well.  He had previously had the 400 watt bulb burn out and explode, cracking and smoking the protective glass over it.  He had replaced the bulb, but not the glass, reasoning that it was smoked and wouldn't work well, and the light was better without it.

The bulb again burned out, and broke, dropping a hot piece of glass onto the plastic butter tub of powder he had on the bench to dip powder out of.  He had covered it with the lid, but it burned through and caught the powder on fire.  He was about 5 feet away, and it still put a couple of square feet of 3rd degree burns on his face, neck, arms, and chest.

Lesson I got from it, is only use fluorescent lights in the reloading area, and make sure they have a diffuser between the bulbs and you to catch hot fragments if the bulbs break.  Absolutely do not use halogen or incandescent.  Halogen should not be used directly anyway, anywhere, because it is damaging to your eyes and skin, and can burn you.   Also, put the minimum amount of powder that you need, and keep it covered at all times possible.

Things like this are preventable, by thinking ahead.  Survey your bench today.  Do you have a hot light?  A grinder?  Any open motors?   

dave

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 3:48am
Print Post  
dave, 

Good info worth heeding. Appreciate your reply.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

possible

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:26am
Print Post  
+1 for BP's comment.

IP Logged

LynnF
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:43am
Print Post  
A few years ago I was brush painting epoxy paint on a 16' sailboat in my garage. I had all doors open and since I was not spraying I felt safe. There was a twin 8' flourescent light at the back of the garage above the transom of the boat. I fortunately was at the front. I heard something like a shotgun blast and the lights were out. The light had exploded and blew glass everywhere, including in wet paint which is a mess indeed. An ex-sailor who worked in my shop told me the fumes from the epoxy had shorted the light and that I was lucky there wasn't a real explosion. I don't know if this is correct but I'll never have fumes of any kind around that type light again.
Lynn

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:03am
Print Post  
We had a major Tanker Explosion and sinking number of years ago. Bow Mariner off the Virginia Eastern Shore.  Blew a 900 foot ship in Half killing most of the crew. She was empty and the crew was cleaning tanks to load the next cargo

CG report gave three possible sources for the ignition. Crew Smoking, Lightning, or most likely when the deck lights were turned on at twilight a broken unshielded bulb igniting the fumes. Explosion took place exactly at legal twilight when the bridge watch would normally turn the lights on.  Ship had been cited before for broken deck lights.

Black is very explosive and beyond keeping ignition sources away the real key to safety is work in small quantities keeping the can closed separate from the working powder. If it goes up best if it's not much.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I use light bulbs in my shop I want white light not that sickly yellow half light the bunny-huggers think is better for the planet. I use Tuff bulbs in all th fixtures in my shop they are the kind that have a skin over the bulb so they won't shatter and spread shards all over. 
I have been told that Neon bulbs will effect electronic scales. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:37am
Print Post  
You guys need to clean up your spilled powder messes.  I'm too cheap to spill powder. 

Joe.  Smiley   That's 3000 posts!  Whooooooopieeeeeee!!!!!!

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Joe 

My hat's off to you, I enjoyed every one too.

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Congratulations Joe!

And I second Boats comment.

Lets see now....I've only got 2302 posts to go.       Grin

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
you may want   to look at all the incidents from the florescent low wattage bulbs you screw in to conventional lights (Incandescent replacements). I have had two or three go up in smoke luckily no fires. I will not buy any more. Looked on line and it appears to be real common but they keep selling them.

IP Logged

mjs3240
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I had a similar accident a few years ago.  I have since replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs.  This will be moot in a few years as the FEDs are banning incandescent bulbs next year.  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
LED's are the future, and they draw about 90% less electricity for the same amount of light. They keep coming down in price and up in light levels. Lifespan of the good LED's is up to around 20 years for a light that burns 8 hrs. a day. 
I'm still using flourescent lights, but I'll switch to LED's when they get down to a cheaper range.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 6:30am
Print Post  
They fade (LEDs) a LITTLE after about 3 years.  (We measure their performance in optical encoders for the motors we make.)  But unless you were MEASURING the output you'd never notice.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint