Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A freak accident (Read 9089 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A freak accident
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
MJS,
That's the first that I've heard of the band. I'm not a incandesent fan but, I'm wondering what they are using as a reason for the ban? They make wonderful targets Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A freak accident
Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Incandescent bulbs are being phased out as an energy saving measure, partly as a result of the national "awareness" of greenhouse gases.  I'm not a proponent of this; just stating what I know.

Alternative bulbs are here to stay, a permanent change for most of us to adapt to.  As Marlinguy notes, LED bulbs are the wave of the future.  Unfortunately, not quite here yet.  The problem is they give off blue light, and the phosphors that are used to change the light to a more acceptable color cause heat buildup and loss of about 60% of the light.  They are getting better, though.  I think 4 to 5 years and they will be mainstream.

The only real alternative at the moment is compact fluorescents.  They've reached a mature stage in development, and are a stable commodity.  However, there is a great deal of difference in them.  Many of the objections to the color can be eliminated by buying the correct bulbs, and by strategic use.  Color is expressed in a degree #, and a Color Rendering Index.  Compare to see what you like best.

I personally like 5000K color temperature bulbs.  I try to buy 5000K bulbs, with a CRI (Color rendering index) of 85 or more.  This is the best looking light to me.  In fact, my eyes see more acutely at this range than with incandescent.

For strategic use:  Do not mix color temperature of bulbs.  Your eyes get used to the color, and when you go from area to area with different bulbs, they look bad.  Uniformity helps make them more acceptable.  If you have incandescents and mix in a few fluorescents, they look unacceptable, regardless of the color.  When you make a changeover, change everything at once.

Biggest objection I have to compact fluorescents is the size.  They are slightly too big for all old light fixtures, and manufacturers have been slow to produce new fixtures big enough for them, especially the 100 watt equivalent bulbs.

I built a new house 3 years ago.  I went 100% fluorescent.  I've been very satisfied.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint