Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Evapo-Rust (Read 2985 times)
whitey hanson
Ex Member

Evapo-Rust
Jun 14th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Has anyone used Evapo-Rust to remove Bluing.?? Thanks whitey

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Re: Evapo-Rust
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I have, worked OK but not all that great.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Thanks Cragister. Will look for something else.?? Whitey

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Whitey,

Evapo-rust works great if you can totally immerse the item and leave for a few hours.  It will not work well wetting with paper towels and covering the item, regardless of what the instructions claim.  I recovered some expensive Ridgid tooling this week that I purchased in a dirty, rusty box.  It had crusted rust 1/8" thick.  3 days and $8 worth of evapo-rust later, they look like new.  Didn't even harm the paint!  Just gun metal gray in areas where the paint is chipped off, and the unpainted stuff I polished with a wire wheel and it looks perfect.  I can't believe how this stuff works!  I bought it for gun parts, but use it more on tools than anything else.

Personally, I'd repolish the item with 200 grit sandpaper to remove bluing, as you're probably going to want to refinish it anyway to reblue.  I've always found the bluing is gone long before the scratches and dings in the metal is.  Evapo-rust will leave gray carbon on the surface anyway, and it will have to be polished off.

Got the chisels in, I'll send a set to you in the next couple of weeks after I get a chance to sharpen them.  I'm going to be gone to Quigley rest of the week, will do the week after I get back.  I bought a set of about 12 chisels, the claim is that they're Dastra, the four big ones are marked but the smaller ones weren't.  The bigger ones were ones I didn't already have, so I'm keeping them for my set, will send you the others plus a few others that I think you can use.  I'll sharpen them first, it's easy to do on my planer blade sharpening machine.

Remind me if you don't get them in a couple weeks, I forget things many times in the confusion I live in of too many things going on at once.

dave

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Dave of course I thank you for the correct advice . And as you know I will greatly appreciate the chisels. ANd have fun at Quigley. Whjtey

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Cragister. Will look for something else.?? Whitey

I use Brownell's Steel White.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint