Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cleaning Rods? (Read 11483 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Cleaning Rods?
Apr 1st, 2011 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I just know this is going to be a lively post....This is for you experts out there..What in your opinion is the best (safest) cleaning rod material. or configuration?  I have seen posted on the .22 small bore sites, their praise for polished stainless steel rods..no grit pick-up, etc.
However, there have been a few horror stories of a jag coming unscrewed, exposing front edge of rod & scratching bore!   I have seen old brass .22 rods with spiril marks whole length from "peening" on lands  over the years.  I myself have always been leary of uncoated steel & I use mostly Dewey & Bore-Stix.  In rimfire, I have a .17 coated Dewey, & a .20 Bore-Stix.
   Now in our game...there is a big difference..we don't have the luxery of a long precisely fitted rod guide as bolt guns do.  On my Ballards, that sharp edged & pointed ejector will peel a coated rod like a banana first pass if not careful...I chuck up fired case..Stingers work fine as they are plated & longer, & drill out head for slip fit on rod.  This takes care of that problem.  But what about that uncoated rod in our application..with no guide to speak of?
  I know the old master Pope made a button headed rod from ground drill rod..Has anyone used one of these?  How about one in .22?
    There is a custom rod maker (Ivy Rods) whom I spoke with, he said he could make any length or design..made up some with no threads..mainly for brushing..jag was slip fit for removal at muzzle.  Also has integeral jag turned on rod end...I am not sure on this one..a stainless steel jag..could do damage if patch crowded on one side?
On Popes, How was button profiled?  Would this be better with cotton tuft  as Pope recommended?  Sorry for long-windedness guys.  Thanks alot! Undecided

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cleaning Rods?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Take a case and drill out the primer to fit the rod, it will make a great rod giude

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:39pm:
Take a case and drill out the primer to fit the rod, it will make a great rod giude

Yep!

Thats what I do. As for the rod, I find 1/4 inch hardened drill rod the best.
When I clean a barrel the rod never touches the bore anywhere.   

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Brass jags work good for me.  I use a thick leather washer between the jag and rod end to protect the bore at the muzzle.   

Joe.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Like Joe I use a drilled case for a chamber guide and on the Trapdoors and garands I have bushings to fit over the muzzel. All my martinis.are drilled for the rod. I have a polished piece of .187 music wire I have used as a rod for years. When i clean I use JB bore cleaner. I do not use tight patches the JB does not require them. I use Bounty paper towels to make my patches. I use Edsred for storage lube same in my model airplane Engines.
Tom

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I still buy Hoppes stainless rods.  Plastic, carbon fiber, etc. I can't get excited about, and they're expensive.   Midway sells the Hoppes rods for about 8 bucks.  I just bought three for spares with my last order.

First thing I do is round off that square edge at the threaded end, though.    

I also use rods made of polished piano wire to push wet and dry patches through.  Almost impossible the thread that stuff, so for brushes it has to be the Hoppes rods.    

I used a drilled .22-250 case as a bore guide if I have to clean from the muzzle, and drill a case for whatever the chamber is if cleaning from the chamber end.  For (shudder) bolt guns  I make a long bore guide tube that fits the bolt channel, with the drilled case soldered to the business end.   

Don't THINK I've ever spoiled a bore, but I've sure found some doozies among the parts guns I tend to buy at gun shows.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2011 at 5:57pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I only have the occasion to clean .22 rifles, so here goes.

For years I have use a drilled out case in the chamber and a 1/4" drill rod or a piece of heavy trim line with a ball melted on the end with a 3/16" piece of plastic tubing.  Never had any problems.

Don G
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2011 at 7:28pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Trim line pictures

Don G

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Hung from the ceiling in my shop is a plastic pipe with at least a dozen cleaning rods. Different ones for different jobs. Stainless & Mild Steel  Surplus Machine Gun Rods. Aluminum Wood Delrin old Marbles brass take downs and who knows what else. 

I also keep a couple of pull through's in my shooting bag tied up out of 100 # monofilament Leader material. Some times at Revolver matches will take some short rods made up from Delrin and handled with fancy woods. They sell like hotcakes.

Main thing is like Westerner said don't let the rod rub the bore.  Many way's to keep that from happening. Chamber guides muzzle guides or even bush the rod out with masking tape to a tight bore fit. Use common sense and the type of rod makes no difference.

Boats

IP Logged

Slowshooter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Years (and years) ago, the editor of Precision Shooting polled a group of barrel makers, shooters, and at least one person active with our single shots, and printed their responses.  They were as varied as those offered above, with some for coated rods, some for hardened steel, etc.  If l recall Claude Roderick's answer correctly, it was that he didn't want a rod harder than the barrel itself, and that for that reason he used Parker Hale coated rods.  Given that he was a top shooter, tool and die maker, and collector of Popes and Schoyens, his anwer got my attention.   

The one point that all respondents agreed upon, and emphasized was that what ever type of rod you use, KEEP IT CLEAN!!!

Jerry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The trouble with coated rods I've had is wear to the coating when using a bore guide. They also seem to pick up and hold a lot of crap.  I never could understand how a hard steel rod could contain more embedded material than a rod coated with soft plastic. 

Joe.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Right or wrong, I'm in the camp of folks who think a hardened steel rod will pick up less crud.. and that keeping it CLEAN, and using a bore guide, is important.

That's not to say I have never used a pull-through for a "quick wipe" at the range with solvent, prior to proper and full cleaning at the range... but I don't do that with my "good' target rifle barrels.

Paul F.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
If I clean from the breach I do not use a bore guide but keep a roll of paper towels on the bench and wipe the rod every time I put on a clean patch. Makes no sense to use a clean patch with a dirty rod. Amazing how dirty it always is when you wipe it off

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
If I clean from the breach I do not use a bore guide but keep a roll of paper towels on the bench and wipe the rod every time I put on a clean patch. Makes no sense to use a clean patch with a dirty rod. Amazing how dirty it always is when you wipe it off.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Hello, and thanks for replys!  This is probably a never ending discussion with good points on both sides of the coated vrs. uncoated rod.  But getting back to original post...What did Pope use?  I seem to recall reading that he used a button headed drill rod, & tuft of cotton instead of patch?  Any experts on Pope care to comment?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint