Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Winchester Low Wall in "32 Short" is... ??? (Read 9122 times)
Old_No7

Winchester Low Wall in "32 Short" is... ???
Mar 30th, 2011 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I just did a search on the forum and literally came up "short" on searches for the "32 Short".

I've got a lead on a nice old Low Wall marked as "32 Short" and the seller tells me it is the "original marking & caliber" -- but he can't tell me which 32 cartridge it is...  (His late uncle owned it, and he's not into guns, never-mind single shots...)

I've checked the Winchester Single Shot "Bible", and perhaps I missed it, but I've come up empty trying to determine just "which" 32 Short it really is...

Does anybody have any ideas or facts?  Thanks!

Old No7

ps:  I am also trying to get a copy of B. Issacson's recent SSE article on shooting various 32s, as I found a post which mentioned that could be very helpful.  I just spoke with Col. Brett Boyd about that.

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Winchester Low Wall in "32 Short" is... ???
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Most probably it is a standard .32 short rimfire.  This was a fairly common/popular chambering for the low-wall, especially for use on the smallest of small games, the squirrel.  If the breech block has a 32 stamp on the side, and if it is for a rimfire cartridge, then I am about 100% sure this is the case.  Post more or PM me if you still have questions.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Lowaller
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Did you by any chance ask the seller whether the rifle was set up for a rimfire or a centerfire cartridge?   

The 32 Short rimfire originated as an 1860's Smith & Wesson revolver cartridge and was later adapted to a variety of other revolvers and used in a variety of rifles, including rifles made by Remington, Stevens, and Winchester (including the 1885).  Some 32 Short rimfire ammunition, of dubious quality, was being imported from Brazil as late as the 1990's.  You might even be able to find a few boxes in some closet somewhere.  A centerfire version of this cartridge was developed in the 1870's and also chambered in the Model 1885.  (By the way, John Campbell's books suggest that the barrel length and twist were different for rifles chambered in the rimfire versus the centerfire.)  Whether the 32 Short centerfire is the same as the 32 Short Colt is not clearly discussed in any source I can easily lay my hands on.  It is clearly different than the 32 Smith & Wesson which I believe has a marginally larger diameter case and bullet (Cartridges of the World, 11th ed.)  I believe several posters on this site have experimented with alternative ammunition for the 32 Short centerfire over the years, but I seem to recall that, while the rifle could be made to shoot the alternatives, accuracy was in the "broad side of a barn" range.

Good luck in your quest for more information.

Bill

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info all.

I've been told it's a CF, but I may get to see it next week and I will know for sure then.

I can tell you this...  "Broad side of a barn" accuracy sure won't be any fun at all!!!  So, the potential to get a "good shooter", even if I have to play with it a little, will be at the top of my list.  Wink

Tight groups,

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Both .32 rf short and .32 short Colt (in original configuration) were outside lubricated (like current .22 rf.)  As ammo manufacturers tried to make inside lubed round to use in these arms, they tried hollow based bullets that were supposed to expand in the base skirt region to get good bite on the rifling.  Results were less than stellar.  Undecided Then again, your might get lucky, as the bore and groove diameters of this particular caliber were more than a little variable.  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Yea - 'minute of barn' leaves a little to be desired.   Sad

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I've got a few Ballards and a few Marlin repeater 1891/92 in the .32 Long, and occasionally shoot my hand loads of .32 short in them also. With the correct heeled bullets they shoot extremely accurate, but don't try pushing them to 100 yds., they're just not a good cartridge much past 70 yds.
The .32 shorts or .32 Longs got a bad rep for being inaccurate when the ammo makers decided to drop the heeled bullet and go with a straight wall bullet design that was hollow base and was supposed to fill the bore when fired. It didn't work, and accuracy was poor at best.
You can get NEI or one of the quality mold makers to make you the proper bullet mold, or find an old Ideal as I did, then you'll definitely have a sweet shooting gun if the bore is good. Mine like 3.0-3.5 grs. of Unique for a nice plinker load. I've also used .32 cal. round balls that I cast and just put them on top of the case and bump them with the seating die to hold them. Then a drop or two of liquid alox on top to lube them. The same Unique load makes a really fun and cheap shooting experience!
 PS-The .32 CF and .32 RF are identical. Marlin Ballards and Marlin 1891/92 repeaters had dual firing pins to shoot both cartridges in the same gun. The Ballard was reversible, while the repeater came with two firing pins.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Well...

She was indeed a rimfire 32 Short...

Barrel length "should have been" a centerfire, but the "dimple" in the breach face at 6 o'clock seems to confirm she's a rimfire.  Seller would not let me drop the hammer on a cut-down CF 32 short fired brass (with tape over the hit primer) to confirm where the firing pin hit -- AND the bore was rougher than I'd like -- so he can try to sell it to someone else.

So... The search continues...

But I did just win an auction for a 17 Hmr Low Wall to fill a hole in my collection -- and it should make a dandy woods/stalking rifle for small game or fox/coyote -- but I will keep searching for a nice 25 or 32 caliber CF Low Wall too.

Tight groups,

Old No7

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Old No.7, Try Auction Arms.com

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Mar 31st, 2011 at 6:39am:
Yea - 'minute of barn' leaves a little to be desired.   Sad

For me theres nothing more fun and interesting than acquiring a rifle with a fair to perfect bore that WILL NOT SHOOT ACCURATE.   Many pleasant hours are spent working on it, testing loads, scratching the head. The feeling of accomplishment is worth all the work.   
My most accurate rifles sit in the gun rack most of the time.   

One of my Ballards wouldnt keep ten shots on a 200 yard target from the bench at 200 when got it. Took me a couple years,  last time I shot it, printed a ten shot group under two inches at 200. 

Joe.    Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint