Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Windgage Sight Adjustment (Read 3139 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Windgage Sight Adjustment
Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone..Last weekend, I decided to try and figure out just how to work that windgage front on the Remington sporter.  I had rifle set-up in cleaning vise, and positioned myself behind it just as if I were at match..(prone on floor).  I must say..those old-time gun makers knew what they were about!  By turning adj. screw C.W.,..as if you were threading screw into sight block to left...the sight moves to RIGHT.  and conversely, by turning C.C.W.  As if you were un-screwing it, and moving it out to left..sight moves LEFT.
  Now then..If your bullet impact is off to left..simply turn C.W. ...as if advancing screw to the left.  If impact is to the right..turn C.C.W.  As if unscrewing & advancing to right.  Very little slack in threads & easy enough to feel.. I think I can get a "feel" for how much movement is necessary without having to see the graduations with some practice. Cheesy

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Windgage Sight Adjustment
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I use different sights and need a simple way to remember which way to turn.

One that somebody gave me years ago is "screw pushes the bullet" or if it works the other way "screw pushes the paper"  I can look at any of my sights and see it pushing either the bullet or paper when it's turned down. Or pulling the bullet or paper when it's turned up.

I still put my thumb on it when turning to double check though

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 wrote on Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:51pm:
Hello, everyone..Last weekend, I decided to try and figure out just how to work that windgage front on the Remington sporter.  I had rifle set-up in cleaning vise, and positioned myself behind it just as if I were at match..(prone on floor).  I must say..those old-time gun makers knew what they were about!  By turning adj. screw C.W.,..as if you were threading screw into sight block to left...the sight moves to RIGHT.  and conversely, by turning C.C.W.  As if you were un-screwing it, and moving it out to left..sight moves LEFT.
 Now then..If your bullet impact is off to left..simply turn C.W. ...as if advancing screw to the left.  If impact is to the right..turn C.C.W.  As if unscrewing & advancing to right.  Very little slack in threads & easy enough to feel.. I think I can get a "feel" for how much movement is necessary without having to see the graduations with some practice. Cheesy

Your post is music to my ears.  You're doing it period correct and in the spirit.    Wink

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
.22, remember that on the rear sight, move the sight in the direction you want the bullet to move on target.  (Raise the rear sight to shoot higher on paper.)  On the front sight, move the barrel in the direction you want to move the bullet.  (Move the front sight away from where you want the bullet to go...to move the bullet to the right on target, move the sight to the left.)

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
The way that I keep it straight is to remember that you can't move where the bullet hits, you must make the sight move to the bullet impact. I just mentally imagine what direction that the sight has to go (front or rear) to shoot at the last hole that was made.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint