Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Questions on STEVENS Barrel (Read 5385 times)
Elalto

Questions on STEVENS Barrel
Mar 3rd, 2011 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Hi All,

The recent thread about the High Wall “varminter” got me to thinking about an 1885 that I have. This is a low wall that has been stocked in the “Varmint” style and re-barreled in 22 Hornet, when I bought it I was told that the barrel was a very special, very accurate Stevens target barrel. 

I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on the barrel; the barrel is a heavy, straight contour about like the Remington varmint contour, it is 24.5” long and .750” at the muzzle. This barrel has not been contoured from factory as it has nice sharp lettering; the top of the barrel has “STEVENS Savage Arms Corporation MODEL 416” and below the Savage Arms Corporation it has “CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. USA.” The Savage and Chicopee lines are much smaller than the Stevens and Model letters, both lines fitting between the larger words. On the left side of the barrel there are two lines one has the following: ”STEVENS BARREL” with a circle and X in the center of the circle, the circle is between the STEVENS and BARREL, the second line, directly below, has “CAL .22—LONG RIFLE”.

The barrel is factory drilled and taped for target bases (Lyman or Unertl) and for weaver type bases, on the front of the barrel there is a dove-tail for a front sight.

Can someone tell me anything about this barrel other than what I already know?

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Questions on STEVENS Barrel
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
The barrel is for a Stevens 416 bolt action .22 long rifle target rifle. I've seen new old stock ones for sale some years ago. In fact I own one. It is problably a 16" twist. If your gun is a .22 Hornet you had better shoot the .223 diameter bullets in it. As far as very special and very accurate, they were the standard barrel on the 416 target rifle and they compared with the Remington 37 and the Winchester 75. I'm not sure they were up to the Winchester 52 standards. None the less they were decent barrels. Sometimes one particular barrel will outshoot others that are made the same. It has been said " great barrels are not made, they are found" You can believe it not.

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Here's a link to a thread going on today over at RimfireCentral.com on the Savage forum, from a guy who has a Stevens 416.  It would seem to me your barrel should be capable of this kind of accuracy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Elalto

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks Guys,

I kinda thought that the barrel might be from a bolt action. I have shot about 1/2 box of factory Winchester ammo through it and it does shoot very well in deed. 

I happen to be one of those taste less guys that just love the old converted 1885s, I saw many very pretty ones when I was a kid making $1.00 an hour and of course I could not afford any of them. I now buy them when I find a nice one and this one has some of the best checkering and metal finish I've seen. My buddy said that if DaVinchi had been a gunsmith mine would be one he would have made.

Thanks again,
Marcos (elalto)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
These "converted" guns can be wonderful shooters and are a whole different world as collectables. Ones with period modifications I find fascinating. The also can be bargains. Trying .223 bullets is a good idea. Your barrel is .223, not .224. Pressure could be a problem as well as accuracy. Try the .223 and see how they work.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
There seems to be quite a few 1885 Low Walls around with Winchester Model 52 barrels on them as well. Very accurate.

Steve

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint