Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rem. Rolling block mid-range (Read 3780 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Rem. Rolling block mid-range
Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Hello, I came across a Rem. Rolling block mid-range.  orig. brl. 32" .44-90.  Action & buttplate re-cased years ago..fading nicely. Orig. owner didn't like recoil so had 32" Douglas 1/2 Oct. fitted in .40-70 str.
Original checkered pistol grip stock & plain forend, with metal tip, has had light finish applied, but not sanded or steamed.  Undecided  Original mid-range vernier tang & globe front with inserts.  Can't remember if windgage. Original brl. has close to mint bore as does replacement.  Now here is something..British proofs on orig. brl & action.  He is asking $3200.00  Is this a good buy?

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Re: Rem. Rolling block mid-range
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Its all relative.... If I had the bucks I would buy it. I have a short range and a long range but no mid range..... Don

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Price is always easy to negotiate, if he is asking that for it offer a lower price, sometimes we all stick a value on something with a little wiggle room added so we get what we want but can still drop the price a bit. And no, the price is not to steep if the barrel is marked as being shipped with the sights. Does it have a single set trigger? Commercial original rollers are getting harder to find in decent shape, and this one sounds nice. How is the bluing on the original barrel, if is is half way decent and looks original the price is not real bad. If possible get a copy of Roy Marcots book on these as it will help in I.D.ing the marks
Mike

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Hello, and thanks everyone for reply.  The original brl. has 99.8% orig. blueing.  Don't think it has set trigger.  Brl. marked E.S...Rough & Ready rear also.  Butstock has ebony or horn inlay bottom P.G.  Will do some research.  Were firearms required to be re-proofed when imported to England?  Action very tight, would this be ok to use safe and sane smokeless loads (in new .40-70 brl.?)  if there is any doubt, I will only use black.  Thank you so much!

IP Logged

doubs43
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:06pm:
Were firearms required to be re-proofed when imported to England?

If both the barrel and action have British proof marks that meet current standards then it shouldn't be necessary to have it proofed again. Should the new barrel not be British proofed then the answer is yes, it would have to go through a proof house again. Of course the barrel could have other European proofs and be OK in Britain. The US doesn't have proof houses and thus all American made arms must go through a British or European proof house and stamped if imported there.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Hello again.  The front sight is a Remington windgage with set of original inserts.  The original .44-90 28" full oct. brl. has about 98+% blue, near-mint bore.  three British proofs on bottom flat.  stamped .44S, and E.S.  has Rem. Rough & Ready sight.  And of course is part of sale and goes with gun.  The brl. now on gun is a 34" 1/2 oct. soft-rust blued Green Mountain.  All work was done around 1990.  Owner has shot about 250-300rnds. thru & has been stored for 18 years.  Thanks for all your help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint