Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rem. #4 Roller tang sight (Read 5438 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Rem. #4 Roller tang sight
Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
The early take down model of the Remington #4 rolling Block rifle is drilled and tapped for a tang sight. One is present in the photo at the top of the gun rack. Have been told that the Remington tang sight for this rifle is like trying to find hens teeth. Was there a Lyman, Marbles, or another company that made a tang sight for the #4?
I have a few #4s and would like to out fit one with a period tang sight. Would like to hear your suggestions and so on. 

The newer modle #4 take down with the thumb screw on the port side and a round barrel is not drilled and tapped for the tang sight.

Thanks, Sendaro

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rem. #4 Roller tang sight
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Sendaro,

For the #4 Remington roller, the Lyman tang sight code is U, the Marbles flexible tang sight code is R3, and you also might look for the Remington Gallery tang sight. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Sure would like to see one of the Remington Gallery sights. I'd guess that is the one that I've been told is very hard to find. As for the Lyman that you make mention of is that still in production? What would you look for to add to this fine little roller if she was yours. The bore is near mint perfect. It's a pleasure to plink with, but these old eyes are having a tough time with that mid barrel sight.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
All three sights were dropped from production long ago. 

MVA shows a reproduction of the Marbles sight, but you would have to contact them to see if they have or will make one with the proper base and height for the #4. 

Ken Womak at   (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  lists some sights. You might ask him if he has a reproduction of the Remington Gallery sight available, or has had any of the original sights come in to his shop.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 6:11am
Print Post  
BP, thanks for all the information. I've bought parts from Ken Womack before and have not been disapointed. I'll contact him. Finding parts can be an adventure in itself. Thanks, Sendaro

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 9:25am
Print Post  
BP, Thanks for the photos of the Rem. gal. sight for the #4 roller. I'm going to be on the hunt for one.
  Will be posting some photos of a strange little single shot rifle latter today. The only markings on the rifle is J V Setter. It looks something like a Stevens or Frank Wesson bike rifle with wire butt stock. Can't find any information about the maker or where it was made. At this point all we know is it is a 22 rimfire and came from the west cost. Hope that one of the members may know something about the maker or any information on this little rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint