Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rolling block Dilemma (Read 16965 times)
Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Rolling block Dilemma
Jan 30th, 2011 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Alright folks I need some help here.

I have a really neat little remington rolling block. It is in 40-50BN with a good bore single set trigger and rough and ready rear sight. It is a light weight little thing with a light (lighter than a #3) 26" barrel. It was originally silver plated but all the silver has flaked off and it is now just overall brown with traces of silver here and there. The stock is original and all numbers match but someone along the way inlet a tiny little compass into the side of the stock then smeared the whole stock with what looks like linseed oil. The stock does not look to have been sanded and I think I can steel wool the goop off. I have a picture of the original owner holding the rifle (silver plated) in about 1889. My dilemma is this: It shoots really darn good. Good enough to shoot silhouette and midrange for sure with 50gr 3F and a 400gr bullet. I am really tempted to drill and tap the tang for a sight but cant quite bring myself to do it. WHile it is far from a perfect collectors specimen it is a neat little rifle with some good provenance. That said I would shoot it a whole lot more if I was to put a verneer sight on it and start shooting silhouette and midrange with it and I dont see that as any greater sin then the compass already in the stock or its overall finish-less condition. Thoughts ?? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rolling block Dilemma
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Zack T,

What model is your rifle? 

Some early Rem's did not have the tangs drilled and tapped for tang sights during the beginning of the production runs, but phased it in at a later time period. 

If your particular model does have examples of factory drilled and tapped tangs showing up in later serial numbered rifles, I wouldn't feel it to be too amiss for you to do the same with yours provided that you can precisely duplicate original factory specs - thread size, spacing and proper location. 

If you won't be able to mount an original Remington sight using original Remington sight mounting screws, and also use original Remington plug screws in the tang when the sight is removed, I would leave it alone. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Great story Zack!  I love it. What a great problem to have.  Wink
I too have an early Rem roller in 40/70 BN. No sight base screws in the tang either. It's the early non rebated frame with the lower tang being longer than the later ones. Great rifle with a nice bore and single set trigger. I left it alone and dont shoot it. If I ever shoot a Buffalo, it's the rifle I'll use.  
I wonder if theres a way a base could be glued to the tang?  Sweat one on with 50/50 solder?   Awe what the heck! Go ahead and drill it. It'll make mine worth more.   Wink

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Hey Zack. Joe is a thinker.If you drill and tap.Then just maybe.? down the road. He can buy it cheaper for a parts rifle. Grin Grin. Whitey

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Alrighty- am gonna try and upload some pics. Forgive me they are of poor quality. I am no photographer !! Also included a pic of some loads. 250, 300, 360 and 400gr. They are stable at 300m. Dont know what they will be like at 500m and 600yds. The fellow sitting with the dog is holding this rifle. There is another pic of him on this same surveying expedition where he has the rifle on his foot and you can see it face on but I dont have that one scanned in. Thanks for the input !

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
sorry. pics too large. gotta get them formatted smaller then will post

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
testing testing...

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
success

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Zack T,

Looks like a civilian Rem #1 roller to me.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Great pictures Zack! Great rifle and story.  If it were mine I just couldnt drill and tap it.  Cry  I've got a soft spot for those old rollers. That one is just to nice. You could put that one away till you go on a Buffalo hunt and get another roller already set up for targets.  Smiley

The rifle looks way better than the mental image I got from your initial description.  Looks honest to me.

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 8:47am
Print Post  
If that rifle was mine, I'd most definitely NOT drill/tap it. You have a very nice piece of history there, it would be a shame to tamper with it.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Why are you even thinking about drilling and tapping it? The rough&ready sight should do everything you need to do. Must have for the previous owner also, thats why it survived. 
  Don  rustyrelx

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Gorgeous Rolling Block! I can't emphasize how much I am against D&T that gorgeous old Roller! Like Don said, that rear sight should already do whatever you want, so why put anything on it, or do anything to change it. 
Your #1 Sporter appears to be a Black Hills Sporter model in the caliber and 26" barrel. It's a piece of history, and any collector would love to own it, so if you want a Roller with a tang sight I'd sell that one and get one, or just buy a repro to mess with and keep that beauty as is.
I've got a similar one with a 34" barrel and no tang sight, but I wish it had that cool barrel sight you have. Mine's just a regular Rocky Mountain sight. I bought another #1 action and just built up a gun that I could play with and not worry about what was changed.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I'm in the camp of the unwashed who break down originals to rebuild, drill and tap, etc, and I STILL WOULD NOT alter that rifle at all.  It's really too good of shape, and in perfectly usable condition as is.  I'd build another rifle exactly what I wanted to shoot, and keep this one as it is.  Too good of shape, a rarely seen configuration, and history/provenance with it.  It's easily worth 3 times what it would take to build a modern shooter just like it.

dave

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Yes, my suggestion is to leave it be.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint