Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stock making chisels (Read 26818 times)
whitey hanson
Ex Member

Stock making chisels
Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
What is a very good brand. Of Stock making chisels. I am interested in a new or used set. Thanks Whitey
PM or Emiail  whanson@plainstel.com

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Stock making chisels
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I get um off ebay Whitey. Buck brothers is what I look for.  Theres probly better more fancy brands out there but Buck Brothers have been making tools for a long time and I like them. Dont cost an arm and a leg either. Oh, sorry, I didnt email or PM.  Undecided

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Wait wait wait!! Why do I fall for this setup everytime you do this?  Embarrassed

Okay Whitey, what kind of chisel/gouge set are you about to peddle?   

The jigs up!  Spill!!

Joe.   Cheesy Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Joe no joke. I am hunting for some good chisles etc. And most of what you see on Ebay and seems to be avaiable at our supply houses only cut butter for a while. And thats about as sharp as you can get them. Good for butter.Or air. Smile Whitey

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Thanks Dave.Wow that Dastra. To get a set of those You would need to apply for. Green loan. From the Prez. Grin But will keep looking for some of these. Whitey

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Whitey, the Pfeil "SwissMade" chisels are as good as it gets in my opinion. Woodcrafters sell them. Many other places do as well. There is an almost unlimited range of shapes and sizes and they stay sharp. They are costly but you get what you pay for.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I have a drawerfull of chisels, thing about them is even same brand some hold edges & cut better than others.  Small ones are mostly from a Marples set, and I added Marples one at a time over the years.  As a rule you can't go wrong with English Steel

However like Westerner my opinion is older Buck Brothers are the best.  Never had one that would not cut.  Having said that some people put great emphasis on holding an edge.  I turn a lot and use P&H High speed steel, holds it's edge very well.  When I need to do some fine work and want to leave the best finish pull out the old Buck tools that belonged to my Dad.   The won't stay sharp as long but the cutting job they do is much better than the HSS tools.

There is a  woodworkers shop near me that has a good selection of used tools. Time to time he puts out some nice long pattern makers chisels no makers marks.  Not too expensive and have found some real gems. Others not worth the time to sharpen.

Boats

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Sadly, it appears that most of the old, reliable manufacturers of tools now have them made by the Chi-Coms. Many a British and American firm sells on price now, rather than quality.

As far as woodworking chisels go, I follow the advice of my now long gone father, who told me I could do no better, than to seek out old Victorian woodworking tools. They may need new handles, and ferules but the quality of the steel they used and it's heat treatement was second to none.

So I attend auctions, car boot sales, flea markets and closing down sales of old shopfitting and cabinet making companies. I don't find much these days, but the odd items I do buy are real gems.

Sadly, so many things these days are sold on price alone, rather than quality. The best of luck in your search Whitey.

Harry

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Marples are good tools.  I have a pretty complete set but find that I only use about five of them. Having good steel is only about 25% of carving though.  Knowing how to sharpen them is more important. Get yourself a good 8" combination stone and a hard Arkansa along with a leather strop. Never use abrasives wheels or sanders to sharpen your tools.  Gouges are the hardest to sharpen.
For inletting, I find I use two very small dogleg shaped tools that I got from one of the muzzle loader suppliers.  One is an 1/8" and the other is a 1/4".  You had to make your own handles.  They are very handy in corners and tight spots.  A good spoke shave is usefull for shaping the stock if you're starting from a slab instead of a pre-turned stock.
They don't work well on figured walnut however.  Bob

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Harry .Boats Western Bob and everybody thanks for all the information. It's just what I needed. Whitey

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Most of my chisels and gouges are quite old...came from my step-dad, who was a carpenter/cabinet maker.  The modern chisels and gouges that I own vary in quality, but I really like my Henkels tools that I've picked up over the years.  Royal Arms makes some inletting chisels that I find useful, that keep an edge very nicely.  

David

p.s.:  Most of my better old ones are socket chisels.  A bunch of old ones on EvilBay right now... Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:29am by 38_Cal »  

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Guys I used to sharpen by hand with stones just like my dad taught me.  Now go power for all sharpening Rough shaping use a slow speed white wheel grinder. To get the edge use a 1 inch by 42 inch stationary belt sander. It's a home model Baldor.  Mine cost just over 100 bucks as I recall. Run the tool on the back side of the belt, Pull over the edge rather than push from the front.

With different grits you can put an edge on tools real quick with little lost steel.  Most of the carving guys use them now, few hone by hand anymore.  Got the idea from our local turining club.  Other thing thats important is to get the right angle.  Mostly I use a round brass angle guage, check the result with a magnifier.  Rough work with jigs and to make sure it's cutting were I want black the tool with marker to see were it's cutting away as I grind

Harry re-handling old tools is a good way to go.  I make handles all the the time for guys.  First sharpen the tool and see if it's worth the trouble.  If poor steel sometimes will grind it to some special little used shape. Anything will cut with a fresh edge.

Boats

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
How would one of those.Power white stone water cooled set ups work.??Whitey

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Whitey, if you look here:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This is what I use, not cheap but very good quality, there must be something similar, if not identical, available from the USA. Try Little Machine Shop, in Pasadena, California, they're pretty good and I buy quite a bit from them.

Harry

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Whitey they work good I am told. Thing that kept me away from one was the expense and fact they need to be bench mounted. Belt Sander I keep  under the bench pull it out when I am carving or turning.

I sharpen constantly when working, gets a little dull back to the belt.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint