Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schützen - Zimmerstutzen (Read 109805 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Re: Schützen - Zimmerstutzen
Reply #60 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 4:48pm
Print Post  

Topic: Available bullets 8.15x46 in Germany

The situation is like follows: in the cold light of a day we have have only one manufacturer for the bullets. This is Haendler & Natermann in northern part of Germany. They fabricate the lead-bullets in the sizes .318/.321/.323 and all the three sizes in weight of 148grain and 170grain. You can get them in pure lead (greased with the rings) or with a very fine coat of copper (metalized) called "high speed". Normally you can buy them in each re-loader-shop...

...normally...

...but two years ago, the manufacturer gets a new owner and he wants to make the big deals with other bullet-products. The community of traditional shooters is too small, so they fabricate now for the US-market large shipment for special airgun-balls and other things for greater communities. 

If you need now some bullets for your .318-rifle, you have to order 10.000 bullets, then they will produce it special for you. So we organized in February a "omnibus order" via our feuerbixler-website. So we got a lot of orders from the folks to buy the required quantity centralized. That was the only way...

There is another, very small manufacturer in Germany, who produces also 8.15-bullets. He is called "Rifle bullet caster" and wants to get more market share. But some guys told me, that the quality is sometimes poor and the bullets are too different one below the other. So you have a lot of waste and non-precise ammo.

I've to make some pics next week, because the weekend I am out for shooting in Innsbruck/Austria...

Biggi

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #61 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Dont forget your camera!!  If you are to stay in good standing on this forum you must share pictures!  Wink

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #62 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I've my camera always with me...
Smiley

...and I think, at the moment my standing in the forum is not sooo bad!
Wink

Biggi  Grin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #63 - May 1st, 2010 at 1:51am
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:49pm:
I've my camera always with me...
Smiley

...and I think, at the moment my standing in the forum is not sooo bad!
Wink

Biggi  Grin

You are a big hit. Your English translation is far better than Google.   

Maybe Biggi should make another video too ??   Roll Eyes 

I want to see a close up of the stickers on the shooters stocks. 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #64 - May 1st, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  

Topic "breech-seater"

Today I was in Austria for shooting with old German fire rifle ("Feuerstutzen"). There at the range I asked some long-established riflemen about your "breech-seater" whether they know this. And they told me, that about 15 years ago, somebody brought such a tool to the range (it seems he got it from US). And they decided to test it.

But they realized that it takes too long time for reloading and the barrel will be really soon full of lead near the mouth (in direction to the cartridge chamber). And it seemed to be less precise than with ready loaded cartridges. So they stopped the tests an went back to their usual ammo.

Nobody knows a German name or expression for it. So I think, that perhaps this is no old German loading tool.

Greetings from
Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #65 - May 2nd, 2010 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Breach seating bullets is an American technique. We tend to shoot from the bench much more here and our rifles are made a little different at the throat of the chamber.
My Stahl German rifle is very accurate when the bullet is breachseated. It leads a little. When I shoot the fixed ammo like in Germany/Austria the rifle leads very bad. This might be because I dont have the correct size bullet mold.  My bore is .316 and the bore is not perfect.  

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #66 - May 2nd, 2010 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob,  So it is true? That old saying? Nothing new under the sun? 

You really need to write a book Bob.  I'm serious.  Wink

Joe.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #67 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,

you wanted to know more about the stock stickers on our Feuerstutzen rifles. These are the control stickers which you get at "weapon-check" at the Bavarian Championship (every year in September). Each rifle has to be controlled, whether all components are regular, the peep sight, the stock the system, the front sight, no additional barrel-weights, and so on.  Also the ammo is examined, if it is only lead-bullet and no copper-jacket bullet.

If everything is okay, you are allowed to shoot with this Stutzen. If it is not okay, you have to change over or you can go home...

The pic shows me last weekend in Austria with some stock stickers from Bavarian Championship of the last years.

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #68 - May 4th, 2010 at 9:42am
Print Post  
So much style Biggi !!  

The rules sound strict. Much more so than ours.

What system Martini is your rifle?  Is the Martini system most popular or one of the others. There are so many.  Shocked

My Martini is a Stahl

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #69 - May 6th, 2010 at 5:25am
Print Post  

Hi Joe.

Yes we have strict rules. But we only execute them very strictly at the Bavarian Championship in September, because of equality in the competition. At the other events, like price-shootings, it depends on the organizing club or society, how strict they follow the rules. 

We differentiate not so much between "Martini" and "Martini". We speak about a "Martini Stahl" or another Martini-System. We say that this or that is an AydtI or an AydtII system. If somebody has a "Stahl", it's of course better. Very good are those Büchel-systems, but I have only an old Martini, it's about approx. 1895 built. My fire-rifle is no piece of jewelry, has no engraving and nearly no stock-carving - but it works not so bad.

Three years ago, we made a small statistic at the weapon-check at Bavarian Championship, which are the most popular systems used nowadays on the Feuerstutzen-Competition. The AydtI-system was the most used, if I remember correct.

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #70 - May 9th, 2010 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Another question on rules Biggi. 

Is the barrel sight allowed to be used with the front sight and rear diopter?

Using all three sights helps me see the fine bead sight that my rifles have. Most of our shooting is done outside in strong light.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - May 10th, 2010 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Biggi, let us go back to available bullets again.   

You wrote about the bullets from Haendler & Natermann.  How are these manufactured?  A mechanical high-pressure process such as swaging makes a much more uniform bullet than any cast of lead, but the machinery involved makes it unprofitable to produce small lots.  We can buy swaged bullets for the large caliber black powder rifles (40 to 45 caliber) because there is sufficient demand.  Such bullets are expensive, even more expensive than jacketed match bullets.  But here there is not sufficient demand for swaged bullets in the sizes used by our Schuetzen rifles and so they are not available to us.  Perhaps someone can export a portion of the next batch your group orders from Haendler & Natermann.  I would purchase some to try in my old German rifles and I am sure that some others would also.

Our collective experience with commercial cast bullets is the same as yours; poor quality control & too many rejects.  You have to buy a lot of them and spend a lot of time weighing and inspecting before you get enough to shoot in a match.  That is why most of us cast our own bullets.  As a hobby, we can ignore the cost of our time and can throw the rejects back into the pot.  We can also control the alloy of lead and tin in the bullet mixture.  Most of our rifles shoot a bit more accurately and lead a bit less if we have a tiny amount of tin in the mixture.

waterman

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #72 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  

Hello Joe.

Sorry, I was out for shooting the last days...

In our rules, we allow only two sights on a feuer-rifle or a zimmer-rifle. The diopter/peep sight with a "Sperber-Röhrl" or a "Seibert-Diopter" (makes a increase in 1.5-times ...don't know the correct expression). And at the front sight a "Korn". This might be a pinhead, a ring/circle or a Balken/beam.

The allowed sights you can find illustrated in our rules:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

A telescopic barrel sight is not allowed. We do not use it, because it is "not traditional" for our shooting ranges.

Biggi  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #73 - May 10th, 2010 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hello waterman... nice to read you!

I don't know at the moment, in which process Haendler&Naterman make their lead bullets for schuetzen-rifle. I have to ask. Perhaps I know more the next days.

We have to order minimum 10.000 bullets per size, or H&N will not produce them. Last month we ordered a really big lot at H&N. Which size you need? In .318/.321./.323 diameter? In 148 or 170 grain? Greased-lead or copper-coated?

Some of our best riflemen cast their demand of bullets themselves. And I know, that's really much better. They also do not use the commercial RWS-shells for 8.15x46r, they often prefer special re-casted .30-.30 shells. But I don't know all their secrets why they shoot so much better... probably they are much better riflemen! 
Wink

Joking aside: If you spend more time by the choice of the single components of your cartridge, you will have more success with it. But if you are only an ordinary hobby-rifleman/woman, you have to buy this on market, what you can get. This means H&N-bullets and RWS-shells. Powder from Vihtavuori (Kemira110) and CCI primers. 

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - May 11th, 2010 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Which shells a shooter can or should use depends on the type of action.  My very old Martini requires RWS shells or shells with an equivalent rim diameter.  I have some old DWM shells and about 200 old Berdan primers that work also.  If I make shells for the Martini out of 30-30 shells, it requires some work on a lathe to reduce the rim diameter.  One American company, Quality Cartridge Company, makes shells to the same size as the RWS shells, but they are just as expensive as RWS.  An American shooter might just as well buy the RWS shells, because we know they will be made correctly.

But for my Original Aydt, 8.15 x 46R shells made from American or Canadian 30-30 cases work even better than RWS cases.  That is because of the gap between the face of the breechblock and the end of the barrel.  The rims of the American cases are slightly thicker and are greater in diameter than the RWS 8.15 cases, and so they fill the gap better.  Making the cases from 30-30 is quite easy.  You can also trim the American cases a bit to fit the length of your chamber exactly, if that is necessary.

Personally, I would like to try some of the .318 diameter & 170 grain greased lead bullets, but I do not know any of the problems with importing them.

And the more you practice, the luckier you become.

waterman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Send TopicPrint