Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ML schuetzen resources (Read 69714 times)
frederick
Ex Member

Re: ML schuetzen resources
Reply #75 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
After reading this tread it suggests that for reasons of peservation
and maintaining the "culture" that a match be created for the 
muzzloaders. Charter could be modified if anyone was that concerned.

fred

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Fred,  with all due respect; at this point, even though this thread has carried on longer than most, (with a fair degree of interest based on the number of views) it appears that there are probably way less than a dozen or so of us who have an interest in "doing" anything with these rifles. Unfortunately we also seem to be widely scattered by geography.

BY far the biggest percentage of the surviving samples are in the hands of collectors who will probably never consider firing them and many of whom probably look on those of us who would like to have that experience as Philistines and Vandals of the worst breed. Wink

I am in serious doubt that there would ever be enough valid interest to justify even attempting to amend the ASSRA constitution and bylaws to permit using these pre-cartridge schuetzen rifles in any sort of official match.  I think that attempting to do so would prove to be more divisive than beneficial and at this point I, personally, would not advocate such an action.

If there were enough folk interested I imagine that there might possibly be some way of creating a special, unofficial "side match"  for educational or experimental purposes.  however at this stage I think it is a moot argument.

so far I have failed to find any information regarding the participation of the M/L Percussion schuetzen rifles in NMLRA events either.  however I have not given up completely---yet.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #77 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:14am
Print Post  
I'm a beer drinkin knuckle draggin Philistine. That makes it okay for me to shoot my old rifles. 

The old British Irish and Scottish long range muzzle loading rifles were still being used in the 1980s - 90s and I will guess some are still being used. Shooting them  keeps them in good condition. Storing in a closet or hanging on the wall is neglect and they will just crumble away. 

Joe, the Philistine

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #78 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:11am
Print Post  
I don't shoot long range myself--up to 200yds normally, but the Muzzle Loaders Assotiation of Great Britain has a thriving long range section. See (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).
Fred

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 7:18am
Print Post  
DWS, there are not many ml shooters alive and about. Half dozen
show up at the NLMRA shoots at Etta Green. I've got a drop in 1" .38
Badger barrel that fits into a Thompson Renegage stock. Push fit bullet, had it for 7 years, fired one shot to see how the bullet engraved.  I admit to being a bit anachronistic. Big enjoymment last
week was watching a couple of guys trying to sight in one of those
in-line muzzleloaders. Whatever was in those pellets portions left a
distinct smoke trails out to about 50! 

Perhaps our parent corporation, the very capitalistic Peoples Republic
of China, would see fit to market such things as a hi-wall action, dbl.
sets, that would wholesale for about $100.00! 

Though aged I can still dream!

fred

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Dream'n, I hear ya Fred.  At least if we're dream'n we ain't dead, as near as I can tell.

I attend almost all the matches at Etna Green, at least 4 out of 5 each year for about the last 8 years or so.   I know we have a few of the NMLRA guys who also shoot in our ASSRA matches. but then we also have guys who shoot Hi-power, CAS, pistol games and all sorts of other shooting sports.   Some of us are even pretty serious stick and string guys.   We'd probably chuck spears---or rocks too---if someone would organize it.  Just about the only M/L rifles I've ever seen there were the occasional collectable ones Dick Binger might have on his table when he sets up there.   
Other than that, the ASSRA matches held there are strictly cartridge single shots @ 200 yds (and 50 & 100 for the rimfires) in bench and offhand format except for the Buffalo match (40cal+ and you can shoot off sticks).

I believe, but have not checked with the rest of the ASSRA BOD for confirmation.  that were there a few guys who wanted to get together on some NON-ASSRA match weekend, (ASSRA members and guests) we could organize our own M/L schuetzen match at Etna Green. 
However as I've noted earlier we few "philistines" are very widely scattered geographically which would make it unlikely---UNLESS if were done on the weekend PRIOR to one of the major matchs and guys were willing to show up that early.

Like you said   "dream'n"

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #81 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Hi All !!!

Well, we certainly took a ride on this one and arrived at a most predictable point.

Comments about starting a “special” gathering and/or forum is no more than re-inventing that wheel that already exists.. Get involved in the sport that has thrived globally for the last two hundred years and see a whole “new” (or old) approach to a lot of fun.. I would bet there is a bigger industry (and following) with M/L than SSR (I know its heresy)..   Roll Eyes

Joe is right, USE IT OR LOOSE IT…

Ed….

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #82 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Ed. If you're hinting about the "International Muzzle Loading team " you are right and I agree,,,,,,,,, except, if you look at the disciplines offered none come close the what the American-German percussion Schutzen rifle was designed for or used for. The only organization that I am aware of that offers the chance to compete with PSR is the WSU headed by Steve Garbe.  Heres a link to the International matches offered. I think theres a club in Casper Wyoming shooting PSRs from the standing position. Not sure of the distance. Might be roundball? Not sure. Undecided

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #83 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Redwing wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:03pm:
Hi All !!!

Well, we certainly took a ride on this one and arrived at a most predictable point.

Comments about starting a “special” gathering and/or forum is no more than re-inventing that wheel that already exists.. Get involved in the sport that has thrived globally for the last two hundred years and see a whole “new” (or old) approach to a lot of fun.. I would bet there is a bigger industry (and following) with M/L than SSR (I know its heresy)..   Roll Eyes

Joe is right, USE IT OR LOOSE IT…

Ed….

Well Ed, maybe I got the hint wrong.  Undecided   In plain English , what are you talking about? 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
"would bet there is a bigger industry (and following) with M/L than SSR (I know its heresy).."

I wouldn't argue that point at all,  M/L covers a whole range of stuff,  and when you factor in the "modern-muzzle loader",  in-line actions, pyrodex-type pellets, saboted modern jacketed expanding bullets, modern highpower scopes and all  the numbers are unquestionably huge.  We could certainly debate the actual nature of the things, but so far they are legally muzzeloaders.

I have learned a lot from this thread.  Had a bunch of my questions answered and been introduced to some resources I was unaware of previously.  I'd hate to see it deteriorate into another of those threads  that devolves into a bash-the-ASSRA session.
It is what it is, I'm proud to be a member and honored to serve on its BOD.   I recognize that my interest in the percussion antecedents of the schuetzen sport fall outside its rules and bylaws--at least in terms of participation in the competitive side of things.  I don't have a problem with that at all.  it's not like there were dozens of percussion schuetzen fans demanding their time and place on the ASSRA range.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #85 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
DW, have you been hittin the eggnogg?   Huh   I still cant see where anyone is bashing the ASSRA.  Undecided   And if someone did, doesnt the ASSRA have sturdy enough legs to withstand it? Well of course it does!  Wink

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #86 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
WOW !!!

Time for me to step-up and clarify my previous post..

I would never “bash” any organization large of small.. My comment was an “apples & oranges” summation that I guess was poorly written..  Sometime, my mind runs faster than I can type (hahahahaha)….

Anyway, Merry Christmas !!!

Ed…..

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #87 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I went over to the WSU forum and read a little.  The NRC rules will allow the PMLR to be used in NRC matches. Not WSU as I had previously stated in this thread or the,  crap! Now I'm all mixed up! Somehere I stated they were allowed in WSU events. That was wrong. Duh.  Grin  Cheesy

DW, my rifle should be here in a couple days. I hope its as nice as yours. I hope it has a fast twist like yours also.  Wink

Merry Christmas Ed !!!!

Joe. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 4:56am
Print Post  
No harm, no foul, friends,   Maybe I'm hyper sensitive about some of the stuff that has gone on here in the past and REALLY didn't want to see this thread go down a drain-----or maybe I was just writing when I should have been napping. 

Joe isn't waiting for something like that exciting/frustrating.  You must feel like kid again waiting for Christmas morning.  How many times have you checked the UPS/Fedex tracking? Smiley

I KNOW I'm waiting on a couple packages too----with great anticipation.  some moulds for the PSR and the 1st shipment of parts for a real special Flintlock rifle from TOTW.  I've probably just about worn out the "refresh" button on my "tracking" page

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #89 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Yeah, sorta like Christmas used to be this year DW.  Smiley

Fedex has it and the last entry on the tracking page is it left Chicago the 19th.   

Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Send TopicPrint