Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ML schuetzen resources (Read 69732 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: ML schuetzen resources
Reply #45 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 12:27am
Print Post  
My guess is the two pins were to secure a sunshade to the existing sight DW. Long sunshades on percussion target rifles were all the rage at one time. 

The groove in the shade I havent a clue.

Joe.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:25am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

jlwwade
Participating Member

Reply #46 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Hay guys I am not interested in trying to change any rules.

I just like talking about and shooting all types of schuetzen rifles. However, my primary interest is in the traditional (American Hammer type, both ML and cartridge) used back in the day. And I do believe that between the end of the civil war and around 1880 or so, if we were to show up at a schuetzen match, we would find both ML and cartridge guns on the line happily competing together.

This in no way means that I would show up at a ASSRA match with a muzzle loading schuetzen rifle and expect to complete, unless I had pre-approval from the schuetzen master. It's just common sense.

Goodwill to all,

James

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #47 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I'd try to use a percussion rifle.  Smiley  Part orneriness, and part, they might let me.  Smiley  I use a muzzle loading breechloader with no complaints Cool Not much difference.  Tongue

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #48 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 11:58am
Print Post  
In many of the old group pictures of schuetzen shooters taken cir. 1900, there is a shooter named Louis Maurer, who's often shown holding his percussion schuetzen rifle. 

Bob

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #49 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
You can also find pictures of schuetzen rifles that are single shot bolt action rifles.  We don't allow those in ASSRA either.  I know it doesn't make sense to some people, so let's just throw out all the rules, execute all the officers, close up this board and shoot whatever we want wherever and whenever we want.  Oh yeah, who is going to organize those matches?  Step forward with your proposals and I'll sit back and watch everyone tell you how you are doing it all wrong.

DW, I'm glad you found that neat old rifle and hope it shoots well for you my old friend, but you sure reopened a can of worms with this thread.  Why don't some of you guys load up your pet AR-15s with black powder and tell the folks at Friendship that you really think it would be fair to have you shoot them there, or better yet take your duly registered Thompson M1921 submachine gun to Camp Perry and try to get them to let you use it in the rapid fire event for the NRA National Pistol Matches?   

You may think I'm being ridiculous, but as somebody who organizes matches and has had all sorts of "helpful suggestions" about what the match "ought" to include by people who often then come to the matches cleverly disguised as empty benches, I've heard enough of this.  Read the ASSRA Constitution that sets out the reason for the group's existence, then read the rules under which our matches are conducted... the same for everyone.  Then, if you would like to participate, do so.   

Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

PS  Westerner/Joe, I assume you are enjoying stirring the pudding here, but I would suggest you take that muzzle/breech loader to Friendship to shoot in one of their muzzle loading matches.  Let us know how that works out for you.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #50 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
What the ISSA has done is to set up separate matches; you can shoot “Open Class,” or there’s also “Traditional Class,” then there’s a “Traditional German Match” for original German schuetzens, there’s a “Zimmerstutzen Match,” and there’s also a “Schuetzen Pistol Match,” if we get enough shooters to bring their muzzle-loading percussion schuetzens we might even have a match for that too.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #51 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog, no one is trying to change ASSRA rules. We are discussing Percussion Schutzen rifles on this thread. 

I sent a email to the Friendship contact about a month ago. No answer yet.

In the other thread I posted that I will not drive all the way to Friendship to shoot a few shots with a percussion Schutzen rifle. I did consider it many years ago and did look into it. I was tempted but decided not to when I read that the Schutzen position was not allowed. I'm assuming that meant the hip rest OH position. If I lived East of the big muddy it might be an option.

Heres a picture of a percussion AR15 at Pine Creek Washington. I didnt shoot it. Chuck Bordman insisted he get a picture of me holding it because he knows I have no use for AR15s. You can see the wiping rod along the side of the barrel. 

Interest in Percussion Schutzen rifles is on the rise. A look at the hit and post numbers on this thread prove it. We dont need to change any rules at ASSRA to shoot them. We dont have to drive thousands of miles to shoot them either.  Wink

Joe. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Charlie,  I think the discussion here has been pretty open,  as it should be.  I doubt that ANY of us involved in it really want to change the existing match structure in ASSRA matches.  At least I don't and I've tried to make that very clear.  My interest has been academic and informational rather than trying to find a way to use my new toy in ASSRA competition. Heaven knows I do badly enough as it is.  I don't need to make an even bigger fool of myself with yet another type of firearm.  I simply sought the knowledge of this broader on-line community to understand this rifle in its original context.

It  appears to me that The ASSRA with it's focus on cartridge single shots is also (along with the other two single shot groups) the heir to most of the active schuetzen tradition in this country.

"Schuetzen" tradition has a long complex history, from crossbows through muzzleloading arms, wheel-locks, snaphaunces, flintlocks and percusion arms, prior to the cartridge single shot rifle era.  Indeed there were early bolt rifles used in schuetzen in europe---perhaps in the USA as well.  I have also seen photos of repeating arms, winchesters (ABIR), fitted out with schuetzen stocks and buttplates.

So we have a historic schuetzen tradition that is broadbased and an ASSRA organization that was founded to preserve/educate/compete etc with single shot cartridge rifles that deliberately chose to preserve a specific segment of the American schuetzen tradition {though including a strong bench rest component that was non-existent as a competitive sport in the schuetzen culture).
 By default they also included many other types of single shot cartridge rifles, long range target--though not itself conducting the long range matches it works cooperatively with them.  I dare say that if the NRA hadn't cashed in on the BPCR genre we'd be working more closely with that group as well.

I belong to the ASSRA and try to support it in any way I can.  I'm not trying to rock boats at all.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #53 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Hi All !!!

Good thing we live in a place where we can all speak our minds..  Got to tell you though that a few months back when I snapped at a guy, I was branded as being “rude”. Glad to see we’re all human…

As far as the “grove” (relief) cut in the front sight shade, I’ve seen this before.. It is meant to open up the “line of sight” for long distance shots requiring extra muzzle elevation.. Would like to see some pic's of the rear sight...

Let’s keep up the X-mas spirit….

Ed….

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Redwing,  Do I understand you correctly? It is to allow one to raise the muzzle to allow for longer shots
Should the "slot" opening in the front sight hood be pointed toward muzzle or the breech?

I have turned the sight 180 degrees from the pictured position.    There is a small indicator point in the center of the sight just above the barrel flat on the side away form the slot. It WAS pointing to the rear.  Ahead of the sight in the dead center of the top barrel flat is a small index mark driven into the metal. I do not see a similar mark  on the breech side of the dovetail.
After reversing the sight the indicator point and the index mark are now together. 
So now the slot is at the front rather than at the rear.  Now it allows more light in to backlight the sight pinhead itself giving me a sharper front sight image.

With the indicator point and mark, plus the improved sight picture it seems, to me at least, that the slot should be in the front. 
   However as I visualize it, raising the rear sight a bunch and raising the muzzle for longer shots would require removing and reinstalling it so that the slot was on the back.

so many puzzles and questions about this specific rifle.

If the light is good I'll try to get a couple shots of the rear sight tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2009 at 10:10pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #55 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Hey Guy !!!

It all depends on the location of the post in the front sight.. If it is dead center of the dovetail, then it would not make sense to relieve the shade however, if its off-set of the d/t then one would loose elevation by moving it toward the muzzle..  Shocked

Assumption that this is the original sight, then the only thought that comes to mind is that the owner decided to extend the intended range and modified the sight to accommodate it themselves.. I don’t think the relief is meant to allow more light into the “tunnel” as that would defeat its shade-design purpose but your point about the register arrow (at the front) is well made…

If it could only talk !!!

Ed

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #56 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Many old sights, hunting and target sights had cut outs to let light in. Some even had a sliding window to control the amount of light. The Fruends also marketed " More Light Sights" I think thats the correct name. 

I Was messing around with a Picket rifle out in the shop. It has a sight similar to DWs. I had to elevate the muzzle to 35-45 degrees to take advantage of any cut out if it were there. That certainly would make for some long range shooting.  

I"ll take a stab by guessing that the notch in the front sight shade is to index the bullet starter that is missing. Now that the sight is turned the correct direction with the cutout at the muzzle, might it have been to accommodate some kind of blinder attached to the bullet starter ?

Heres a picture of another percussion Schutzen rifle with a cut out in the top of the globe.  The old timers new a lot of tricks when the globe and diopter sight were the only and best equipment available.

Joe.  Smiley 

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #57 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Joe !!!

Some good thoughts there !!!  That certainly would explain the two “tit’s” on the outside of the shade that would hold and allow the “slider” to function …

Ed….

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #58 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Yeah,,,,,,, maybe.   Maybe we're both off by a mile. Maybe its for mounting a gyroscopic muzzle stabilizer,,,,, maybe,  Huh

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #59 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 10:55am
Print Post  
DW, what diameter did the bore turn out to be? Bore and groove?   

Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Send TopicPrint