Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ML schuetzen resources (Read 69203 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: ML schuetzen resources
Reply #150 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
The bores are pretty good. No pitting, just light rust that cleaned out nicely with a lead lap and emery.  Shot a couple hundred linen patches through two rifles. Trouble was the linen is too coarse. Looks like fine burlap. Lots of linen out there. A lot of it is part linen part cotton. Some is cotton they say is linen. People lie to sell stuff. most of the linens are to low a thread count and to thick. Did find some linen that looks right at a silk supplier in India. Tried to buy some online but have to have a paypal account. I dont do paypal. 
The linen I used felt much smoother and slicker than cotton patches. They blew out to fuzz balls with only forty grains of powder. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #151 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Frnkeore
               How did you attach the spring loaded plunger to the bottom of your mold.  thanks for the info.    ledball

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #152 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
leadball,
The diameter of the of the nose forming part of the mold, the brass part that you can see inside the mold, is .365. The diameter of the rod extending out of it is .312 so, it goes in the front of the opening and goes through the bottom of the mold. The inside of the mold has three diameters, base band, bore riding and .3135 reamed through. The spring is captured between the bottom of the mold and the nut and washer on the end. The nose area bottoms out and the spring holds it there. You cast the bullet, cut the spue, turn upside down and tap the nut end and the bullet falls free.

In this way, if the bullet is to long for the twist, you just make a spacer to put under the nose forming part and shorten it by what ever amount you want.

Frank
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:17pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #153 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
All this talk about PSRs and the picture of Eric Keel holding his Kopicus rifle on another thread got me in the mood to do a little plinking. Took my .43 PSR out to test some Lyman 429-251 bullets.  First shot at twelve oclock was with forty grains Swiss 1.5. Rear sight smacked me in the glasses, ouch!

Adjusted my measure to thirty grains. Considering I havent shot the rifle for a couple years and had a bad lighting situation,  sun behind the target, was happy with the target. In loading, was getting a little lead about six inches ahead of the breech. Same problem I had with the Dischler rifle when using a plane flat base bullet.   
Target was shot standing at one hundred yards. 

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #154 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
In case anyone should get a German percussion schuetzen rifle and wishes to use the correct traditional style bullet, this may help.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #155 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Finally got a butt plate on.

Purchased a Zimmerstutzen stock with butt plate off ebay. The butt plate was a close match to my stock. Had to add metal to the top tang thingy and inlet.   

Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 
Send TopicPrint