Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ML schuetzen resources (Read 69433 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: ML schuetzen resources
Reply #135 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I'm up for a postal match any time DW.

Have only shot mine OH.  Used it at the ML match at Glasgow in August. 

Tried to buy a hollow base .410 mold from Lee, for my John Meunier rifle. Lee only makes one hollow base bullet now. For the 45/70.
Have tried to find pictures or drawings of original style bullets used in percussion schuetzen rifles, in the day, with no luck. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #136 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
   Have you checked out the bullets in Ned Roberts' The Muzzleloading caplock rifle? Smiley

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #137 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Joe you need to try the plastic saboted ones, solid copper with the green plastic tips Grin

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #138 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:37pm:
   Have you checked out the bullets in Ned Roberts' The Muzzleloading caplock rifle? Smiley

Yes, have tried several style picket bullets similar to the ones pictured in Roberts book. Patched with paper and cloth. Have not been able to get good accuracy with them. Could  manage many five shot groups with four in a small cluster and the inevitable flyer. Always a high flyer about six inches and to the right. One problem is obtaining the correct linen cloth. They dont make it anymore. 

I'm pretty sure My German Franz Dischler rifle used a short GG bullet. Plain base bullets exactly like the pictures posted, shoot good. The hollow base bullets are better. Best so far anyway. 

Green plastic sabots and copper bullets :question Going to pretend you didnt write that DW.  Grin

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #139 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
     Because I'm stupider than most, I had to read the bullet section of the book three times to understand it all.  What he does is trace the developement of the match rifle's bullets from patched ball all the way through naked (this is the commenly used match bullet of today) bullet, e.g. grease grooves.  Some how I like the "naked bullet, shooting dirty" discription better. Roll Eyes                                                               westerner wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 7:59pm:
32 ballard xl wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 6:37pm:

Yes, have tried several style picket bullets similar to the ones pictured in Roberts book. Patched with paper and cloth. Have not been able to get good accuracy with them. Could  manage many five shot groups with four in a small cluster and the inevitable flyer. Always a high flyer about six inches and to the right. One problem is obtaining the correct linen cloth. They dont make it anymore. 

I'm pretty sure My German Franz Dischler rifle used a short GG bullet. Plain base bullets exactly like the pictures posted, shoot good. The hollow base bullets are better. Best so far anyway. 

Green plastic sabots and copper bullets :question Going to pretend you didnt write that DW.  Grin

Joe.  Smiley

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #140 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
People who take the time to read books are not stupider.  Wink

I started out using the picket style bullets because all of my original percussion schuetzen rifles have a picket twist. The slowest being 55 and the fastest at 24.  I thought the picket bullet with a cloth patch would be the best because of less than perfect bore conditions. The Dischler rifle does have an excellent bore with about a 40 twist. The short GG HB bullets are really working. Next step is to try the short GG bullet in the  other rifles.  Thought I was lucky because my rifles have fairly standard bore dimensions like .430, .410, .400, .377. And one oddball .395.  
Unlucky part is not finding hollow base bullet molds in these diameters.   

Will have to make my own. Good winter projects. Thought about making a die and punch to swage a hollow base into an existing bullet. By the time you go to all the trouble, might as well just make the correct bullet mold. Think I've read Roberts book half a dozen times. Picture is a picket bullet I've tried in my John Meunier rifle. Just fair accuracy. Might try it again if I find some tight weave linen cloth for patching.

Joe. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #141 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Joe how did they get those round-heeled round-butted "sugar loaf" bullets to  load and fly straight.  I saw several examples of them in the Rowe APS book.  They made no sense to me

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #142 - Sep 21st, 2012 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
They load and shoot okay. Just not very accurate. Not with todays patching material. The light weight of the picket - sugar loaf bullet may contribute to the flyers. Not enough weight to create enough pressure?  
The patch holds the bullet central in the bore.   

I shot the bullet pictured above, paper patched, loaded from the muzzle in my 40/50. Rifle has a perfect bore.  Accuracy at one hundred yards was the same as from the Meunier rifle.  Smiley

Joe.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2012 at 11:09pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #143 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
  If I understood what Robert's wrote correctly, the sugar loaf bullet was the first step up from the round ball, circa 1830-1840.  It improved accuracy, compared to the roundball, at 200 yds, or more commonly at that time, 40 rods.  Amazingly enough, 40 rods is very close to 200 meters.  Well, target shooters are never satisfied, so next came the picket bullet, which furthur improved 200 yd-40 rod accuracy, popular from 1840-1860.  The developement race during the war of Northern aggression caused many improvements in bullet form, particularly length.  Still patched.  In fact, the patch was the last thing dropped in the 1880's. Each of these bullet and commsurate powder improvements tightened 40 rod groups with each step.  I think by 1890 most target shooters had adopted the grease groove long bullet. Smiley

e

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #144 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Joe,
Here is something you might want to try. I made this mold for my 38 cal Douglas barreled slug gun. I made a faults muzzle much like you have pictured and timed it to my 6 grooves (3 paper patches) so the paper patches came together in the groove.

The mold is a piece of 1.25 round stock with a spring loaded brass plunger that forms the nose. In this way you can vary the length to suit the twist.

The bullet is a bore rider or Mann type bullet. I used a .100 long base band of groove diameter and a bore riding section .001 over bore. Mine has wide lands and for narrow lands, I'd recommend .002 over bore diameter and maybe .15 - .200 base band. The best thing about this mold is that everything can be changed with it. The base band is at the start of it and can be lengthed (deepened) or faced off to shorten. You can shorten the plunger to increase the length or shim under it to shorten.

I was the only one that cast bullets and did not swage two piece bullets. Also the only person that did not use a tradition faults muzzle.

These scores were as well as I did and my last shoot. The 10 ring is 2" @ 200 the X, 1". Half that @ 100. All matches were straight black, I did try 15% duplex loads in practice with the same or a little better accuracy but, I didn't have to clean between shots. 

Frank

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2012 at 8:44pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #145 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I could Frank. Not interested in patched bullets now.  If I were loading for a slug gun to shoot small groups from the bench, your idea is excellent.   

Thanks.   Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #146 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Sep 22nd, 2012 at 4:50pm:
  If I understood what Robert's wrote correctly, the sugar loaf bullet was the first step up from the round ball, circa 1830-1840.  It improved accuracy, compared to the roundball, at 200 yds, or more commonly at that time, 40 rods.  Amazingly enough, 40 rods is very close to 200 meters.  Well, target shooters are never satisfied, so next came the picket bullet, which furthur improved 200 yd-40 rod accuracy, popular from 1840-1860.  The developement race during the war of Northern aggression caused many improvements in bullet form, particularly length.  Still patched.  In fact, the patch was the last thing dropped in the 1880's. Each of these bullet and commsurate powder improvements tightened 40 rod groups with each step.  I think by 1890 most target shooters had adopted the grease groove long bullet. Smiley

e

Thats the way I understand it too. Roberts lays it out very well in his book.  Do you think shooters then, (offhand shooters), began shooting out to 40 rods with the long GG bullets? Were they shooting shorter distances with the short picket bullets?

My .40 picket bullets weigh about two hundred grains and at the limit for length for twist.  How they shot them out to 40 rods with good results is a mystery to me.  Once I get a GG bullet shooting accurate in the .40 Meunier,  will have to give 200 a try.  Am thinking if theres any wind at all, I'll have my hands full.

Joe. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #147 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Picket Rifles can shoot pretty good. We had a seperate Picket match. All these rifle were originals and they had great personal value to the owners.

Of the people listed, only Ted Thorsen and Larry Bloomer may still be alive. 

Joe, you've shot with Larry at Springfield. If you can get a hold of him, he may be able to help you. Ted was from Portland and if you could find him I believe he would help.

The tartget were the same as the 100 & 200 slug target so, you can get a idea of when you reach the full accuracy potential.

These match results were also from 1989.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #148 - Sep 22nd, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I've talked with Ted Thoreson quite a bit about picket bullet accuracy at 200 yards.  Ted told me it's very iffy when the wind blows.  A large caliber heavy picket rifle .50 and bigger has a huge advantage over the .38s and .40s and will shoot to 200 better. Ted told me that his Billinghurst picket rifle had shot some good targets out to 200 but very seldom. Ted said the bullets are too short and too light for consistently accurate shooting at 200 yards. I made my picket molds to Teds recommendations.  Have shot many five shot groups with four in a small cluster and a flyer.  Ted also told me that to get the best accuracy from a picket bullet loaded with cloth patch, it must be very fine linen. If I could find fine linen at .004 thickness, I'd give the picket another try. 

I'm not talking about bench rest picket rifles, Frank.  I knew Larry Bloomer but we didnt talk much about slug guns and nothing about percussion schuetzen rifles. 
Percussion schuetzen rifles, are usually about .40 and have a slow twist. This of course limits the length of the bullet which limits bullet weight to very light and wind sensitive.

I'm going with the GG HB bullets frank.   

Joe. 

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #149 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Have you thought, Joe, that using a linen patched picket bullet would clean up the bore?  In ye olde daze, they cleaned up the bores so well, they had to be "freshed out" after a while! Grin  I found linen by googling it up. Tongue...Jan

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 
Send TopicPrint