Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ML schuetzen resources (Read 69512 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: ML schuetzen resources
Reply #105 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Well DW, did you get to shoot your rifle?   Huh

I got a short starter done today.  Next is the missing buttplate. It'll take a little time to make a composite pattern. Theres a yellow metal foundry in Tacoma that will do one piece for me.  I hope they're still there.  Undecided

Joe.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:16am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Very very nicely done!!!!!  I like them a bunch.  I want to do a plunger starter for mine, probably turned out of exotic hardwood.

I got down here to TN and spent the last four days working on the airplane, today is a paperwork day,  have to drive 15 miles in to a library to get the amount of access I need to get my detail work ready for resuming regular work next monday.   
I hope to get some casting done and maybe a couple shots off tomorrow or the next day.  Problem is its SO dang cold. Usually its shorts and light jackets weather for us northern boys when I'm down here in Jan.  NOT thihs year.  Its not real conducive to a lot of outdoor shooting, at least for me.  I shake enough as it is in hot weather--blue crispy fingers and chattering teeth are not a real motivational factor.
  the locals are going into shock--down to high single digits overnight and hasn't been up to the sunny side of freezing since I got here on the 29th.   I brought the normal cold weather/survival kit bag I keep in the Jeep GW during the winter.  glad I did. 
But at least there no snow.  Back home the "lake effect" dumped 26 inches over the last 36 hours and more is on the conveyor belt.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I FINALLY touched her off half a dozen times,  just shooting across the pond off the back basement walkout.  I used about 45 gr of FFFG and the 305 gr "modern minie".   didn't even have a specific target just aiming at the waterline on the far bank---probably 80-100 yds.  very pleasant recoil.  Inpacts were high in the dirt--somewhere.  tried one other bullet I'd been given used in a 45 cal whitworth, probably close to a 500 grainer.  there was a whole bunch more recoil --'bout like a heavy 45-70 load---and the nipple jet blew the hammer back to half cock-----no more of them---don't want to risk the rifle.  It hit way lower, made a heck of a splash though, like I was depth charging the turtles in the pond Smiley.

If the weather gets decent before I have to head back--and it doesn't look good--I'll try some more with lighter bullets in the 400 gr range and also put up a real target to see if I can hit it---my eyes and irons are not a good combo.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #108 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Take heart! If you problem is simply "old eyes" there are a number of inexpensive options. All you need is local "Dollar Store" or something
of that type. Purchase a variety of diopters; 1.00, 1.25, 1.50,1.75, 2.00, etc. Invest 5 or 6 dollars. I shoot a variety of barrel lenghts with
irons from 24" to 40". Select the glasses that give you a sharp front
sight. If the target is not discernable time to try differant size rear sight aperatures. If you are really frugal try this. With the glasses that
give you a clear front take black electrical tape and try differant horizontal strips that are in line with you eyes iris. What you are doing
is looking through a horizontal slit. Then, if you are right handed, tape
a piece of tape vertically on the left side of the slot. Tape it lightly until
you get it in the correct position for your eye. You then have a horizontal slit with a left vertical boundry. It only takes a three side "iris" to change your focal length. The goal is to give you a sharp
front sight with enough light coming thru to give some definition to
the target. You can get these materials at the Dollar and hardware store or I can send you a kit for $49.95 plus shipping and handling.

fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #109 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Glad you finally at least got her proof tested DW.  Fredericks advise gives you some good options. Also looking through those sights will help to get your eyes back into shooting shape.

On my old rifles where the peep hole is too big I stick a targ dot on the cup, then with a magic marker blacken it. I push a pin through till I have the hole about the right size. Makes all the difference in the world for me.

I shot my rifle again, this time at 200. I didnt have much luck. The bullets tumbled at 200. I have some shorter fatter bullets cast up and plan to give her another go soon.

The nipple that came with my rifle was dead soft and every three shots I had to take it out and file the mushroom off. I never saw a nipple so soft or one that had such a large hole. Lucky for me its a standard 1/4 x 28 thread. I picked up a couple new nipples on the way home from the range.  Hard nipples are good. 

I tried some hefty loads too and theres no way I plan to use those, ever.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

bema
Participating Member

Reply #110 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,
I think you have to have short slugs, maybe short Minie like bullets. Because of the fast twist the shorter the better. I have a kentucky and shoot these hollow base slugs. Works good. bema.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #111 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:51am
Print Post  
I think you're right on Bema!

I wouldnt be surprised to wind up shooting a short picket bullet. I was going through some books earlier this last evening. Looks like a bullet weight of about 215 to 250 should work with my twist. The load the book referenced used 64 grains of semi smokeless powder. Thats a hefty load of powder.  That light of a .40+ bullet seems a bit light for 200 yards.  The bullets I have cast up to try are .44 mag 255 grain bullets. If they will upset into the rifling they may work. 

I just noticed your first post, welcome to the forum Bema.

Joe.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:56am by westerner »  

IP Logged

bema
Participating Member

Reply #112 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,
You know me, I'm the guy from The Netherlands. We have had a lot of mails and thoughts about guns. My experience with picket type bullets is to shoot a minie like slug. If possible use  a quit burning powder like Swiss #2 to give that slug a kick in the back to perform good. My gun is .41 cal. and shoots well with about 38 to 40 gr.#2. 
Happy shooting Bert.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #113 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Interesting thread. I thought that fast twists stabilised longer bullets, slow twists are for round balls. I shoot a Swiss Federale in 41 calibre and use a 200grn full wadcutter from a home made mould. 35 grn of Swiss no2---no problems at all.
Fred.

IP Logged

bema
Participating Member

Reply #114 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Hi Fred,
The European guns didn't have the gain or progressive twist  these American made guns had. This twist was the answer(trial) of barrelmakers to get rid of the round ball and have a slug to shoot at longer distances. Your Swiss federal was intend to shoot at 200 mtr. or more. In the old days they shot most of the time OH.  Bert.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #115 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
A LONG time ago, I picked up a set of M/L barrels, side-by-side rifle shotgun off an old, what we think, is a Michigan made gun. I was going to make a side by side flintlock out of it. After making breeches cleaning it all out, I test fired the barrels and sure enough I found a small crack in the damascus of the shotgun side. Put it away. The rifle barrel, about a .36 cal is what I call ratchet rifled even more extreme than this one. I've never before or since seen anything like it and was actually talking to Whitey about it a couple of days ago. I'll dig it out again, clean it up and see if I can get any pictures. It is so unique I acually thought about seperating the barrel and making a single shot out of the rifle. The thought of taking those barrels apart has been kinda scaring me off, but maybe it will help on this or something else.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #116 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
bema wrote on Jan 11th, 2010 at 5:39am:
Hi Joe,
You know me, I'm the guy from The Netherlands. We have had a lot of mails and thoughts about guns. My experience with picket type bullets is to shoot a minie like slug. If possible use  a quit burning powder like Swiss #2 to give that slug a kick in the back to perform good. My gun is .41 cal. and shoots well with about 38 to 40 gr.#2. 
Happy shooting Bert.

Hello Bert!  I didnt recognize you! Nice to see you posting.  Wink

I picked up some linen fabric yesterday. Now I need to get busy and make the correct bullet mold for this rifle. It is most certainly rifled for a picket bullet. I'm done fooling around with the wrong bullets. I would prefer to load this rifle just as it was intended to be. Once I have it working I'll post some pictures.   
Is it cold in the Netherlands? Can you skate on the canals like in the movies? My daughter is in Baumholder. She reports cold weather there. I told her to keep practicing her jodeling.  Cheesy

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

bema
Participating Member

Reply #117 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe,
Yes we had a lot of snow, not common, and we can skate on the canals, but due to the snow,  ice conditions are not to good. But we don't complain. In a couple of days I'm going to shoot my 58 cal. Parker Hale, since we have our first shooting match on the 24th of January and I have a lot to practice. Good luck with shooting your pickett gun.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #118 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Great picture Bert!  

My second wife had a broom like that. She didnt sweep snow with it Wink

I made a picket bullet mold last night. This time I hope to have it working. 

According to the Greenhill formula and my good friend Ted Thoreson who is a old hand with picket rifles, these bullets should all go into one ragged hole!   Shocked   All onto one target will be a big improvement anyway.

Joe.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2010 at 12:02pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #119 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Finally some success. Picket bullets work good at 200. I was able to keep all shots inside the twenty ring. Now I can fine tune a load. I used .012 linen patches and .012 cotton patches. The linen was more accurate and much easier to load. The linen patches went down smooth and easy where the cotton patches seemed to want to bind. 

I used the bullet on the right cast with pure soft lead. Weight 272 grains, .412 diameter, .930 long

Joe.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2010 at 8:00pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Send TopicPrint