Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) rechambering a 310 Cadet to 32-40 (Read 12463 times)
gungadoug
Ex Member

Re: rechambering a 310 Cadet to 32-40
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Bronco- what I mean by the velocity statement is this: the 310 was for a light bullet, at a relatively slow speed, while the heavier bullet in 32-40 is traveling faster (don't have figures in front of me). Now- the bullet doesn't give a spit about "twist rate"- it stabilises with an certain RPM range! So-- a slow twist (310 barrel) will work fine with a heavier than designed for bullet, at a higher velocity, hence putting that bullet into it's preferred RPM range. We need of course to be careful with pressures in getting that velocity, but the small Martini's were tested by, I think, Hunter's Lodge?? some years ago, and are fine in the 30k range. I loaded 14 gr. IMR 4227 and 165 cast, kinda the classic Schuetzen load, and had very good luck.
Now after all that, I sure hope I didn't step in it too bad! Any responses would be appreciated.
             Doug

IP Logged

Bronco Birnbaum
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Doug, I don't understand the RPM stuff.  I have never heard of that, but there are a lot of things I have never heard of.
The reason I am asking your experience is to understand how heavy and fast bullets worked in your factory barrel.  I don't know the factory twist rate, I can measure it, I just have not gotten to it yet. 

So.. if it worked for you, it should work for me.  Easy plan.
Bronco

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 8:34am
Print Post  
You are going to have to pull that barrel on that Cadet to rechamber.  That is why I offered the barrel swap.  Thus we save one barrel in .310 for those who would prefer .310 and only modify a barrel that has already been modified.

You will also have to modify the extractor and lower the block by cutting the notch between the horns for the larger case head.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Bronco, think of the bullet like a kid's top.  A short top will be stable at a lower rpm than a long, tall one of the same diameter.  If the twist rate of your barrel is fixed, and you want to use a particular length of bullet, your only choice to stabilize it to the distance you intend to shoot is to drive it faster, giving it a higher rate of revolutions per minute.  The trick here is finding the rpms you need at a safe chamber pressure, especially since you have a small barrel shank thread size.  This is why I would urge you not to re-chamber your barrel...besides, the little Greener cartridge is fun to shoot as intended, with low recoil and noise.   Wink

HTH,
David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint