Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bill English PAK-TOOL (Read 13972 times)
thop
Senior Forum Member

Bill English PAK-TOOL
Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Discussions related to the Lyman 310 hand reloader got me thinking about another hand held reloader that was manufactured by Bill English in Seatle WA in the '70s.  I was living in Gov't quarters in Berlin Germany in the mid '70s and didn't have much room for a larger reloading set up so I ordered one of Bill's tools in .25-06.  It turned out to be a very useful tool and I built alot of cartridges with it.  I've never seen another one and was wondering if others have had experience with it.  I am also wondering if anyone is still building dies for this handy little tool.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Re: Bill English PAK-TOOL
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Brochure

thop

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
It's a nice tool always wished I had one wonder if they ever turn up on Flea Bay.   

Truth be know for pure utility the Lee nutcracker tool is as good as any out there. I can FLS Modern bottle neck cases with no problem and it seats very true.  I used to keep a plastic box with everything needed to load 7mm08 for my Silhouette rifle, Passed a lot of otherwise dead time while traveling loading cartridges.   

Not a lot of pride of ownership though.  Pak Tool would look a lot better, do they use standard dies ?

Boats

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Boats,

The dies, as well as the shell holder, are unique to the tool and are not common to any other reloading system.  As the drawing shows, it is kind of an erector set affair, screwing pieces together for the various decapping/capping, sizing and bullet seating functions.  It was only designed to neck size bottle neck cases, although I believe straight case pistol cartridges were full length sized.  When I got back to the states in '78 I didn't see Bill English's ads anymore so maybe it wasn't a profitable venture.  I got the impression he was selling them direct from his home.  I've never seen a used one come up on eBay either.  As his brochure shows, he offered the tool is quite a range of calibers and case configurations.  I don't see 25-06 listed so I must have had it made special order, although my memory fails me now.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I've seen one of these loading tools, maybe in my shop, probably in some stuff Charlie Dell gave me, as I remember I wasn't smart enough to figure out it worked.   leadball

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I agree leadball.  If I had not been careful to not lose the instructions, of which the drawing above is the most important, it would have probably become useless. Undecided  If you find it and need copies of the instructions give me a hollar and I'll email them to you.  Terry

thop

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 10:52am
Print Post  

If anyone out there should happened to know of a Mr. William ( Bill ) English who was residing in Seattle, Washington in the 1970 time frame, perhaps you would consider contacting him in order to determine if he would consider hearing from ASSRA single shot shooters.

The mid 1970's was approximately thirty "+" years ago.  My quess is that he had to have been in the shooting game in some way or fashion in order to have come up with such a neat tool as is shown above.

Heck, who knows ... he just may have some " unsold " tools from the 1970's down in the basement shop he may want to bring to market.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:02am
Print Post  

TERRY ... I was wondering if any of the English literature that came with the tool, or the actual tool itself, or any of the accessories, have a U.S. Patent number and date affixed to them, or in the alternative, the words " Patent Pending "?

Does any of the literature happen to have a street address or company name associated with the tool ?

I really like the tool !

Creed Moor 

IP Logged

singleshot1
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
SmileyThe English Pak-Tool is still being made here in Orofino, Id. Carey Barron is the fellow making them. His phone number is 208-476-7480. Snail mail address is 128 118th st. Orofino, Idaho, 83544. He doesn't advertise, being just a small one man shop. You will have to contact him and let him know just what you want, and he can build what you need.           Dave

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
As SINGLESHOT1 indicated, the PAK-TOOL apparently  still has limited availability.  I found the following information yesterday on LEVERGUNS.COM in an article by Al Anderson..."Pak-tool is a unique tool that came out in the late 50's and was designed and made by William English of Seattle, Washington. When he passed away Bruce Roberts also of Washington State continued making them. I talked to Bruce the other day and he has moved to Idaho a couple of years ago. The good news is that he is still making them but only has around eighty sets of handles left and because of the price to make the new handles he may not have them for much longer. The good news is if you have a set of handles he can always make the dies for them. I need a couple more myself....If you'd like to talk to Bruce about a Pak-tool give him a call at 208-875-1643. The price of the Pak-Tool with dies is around $60.00 or so but you'll have to check to be sure”  I’m not sure when the article was written and I see the tel# is different from the # SINGLESHOT1 posted.  You can read the whole article at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I sent an email to one of the web sites contacts to see if they had an address for either the author or Bruce himself.  If anyone is able to get in contact the current maker please let us know.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Dave,

I reread your email a little closer.  I missed the point that you and the current maker both live in Orofino, Id.  It appears  Carey Barron may have purchased the rights to the tool from Bruce Roberts  since Al Anderson wrote his article.  You don't by chance have an enail address for the new maker do you?

Terry

thop

IP Logged

singleshot1
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
No, I don't have it handy, but I'll get it tomorrow. He just lives down the street from me. He bought the tools and rights to the product from the fellow you spoke about above. He is set up and has produced a few tools which I understand he sold on e-bay. I'll post tomorrow when I get his e-mail address.     Dave Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
IMHO the finest hand tool ever made was the old Huntington that used std. 7/8-14 dies, and std. shellholders. It had lots of leverage, compact size, and because of the std. dies it was infinitely versatile. 
I've had one for years, and use it often when doing load workup at the range. 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Dave,

It is a small world that you live so close to the PAK-TOOL maker.  I am always amazed at the depth of information that can come to the surface on this forum.

Val...That IS a nice piece of engineering.  When did Huntington quit making them.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

singleshot1
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
SmileyGuy's his e-mail is jmpyne@yahoo.com. He will be glad to hear from you.     Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint