Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lyman 55 measures (Read 7264 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Lyman 55 measures
Nov 23rd, 2008 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Have had a Lyman 55 for 25 years or so.  It's not my favorite measure.  Other day at the gun club somebody had a box of old junk free for the taking.  Real rough 55 in the box,

Took it home and stripped it down.  Has seen some hard use. Handle was broken off and brazed back on, and the body was painted blue over what looks like Lyman orange. Had to heat the drum with a torch to get it out. Gummed up with black powder and never cleaned.

Decided while I was at it stripped my 55 down too for a cleaning. There are some differences in the two measures.  Casting on the body of the club pick up is much smoother than my1980 vintage 55.  Significant is the bore for the drum is brass bushed while my measure is cast iron bore.  Has never been real smooth and the drum to bore has always gummed up.

Another thing the small slide is chrome plated steel on the pick up measure while both the small and larger slide are brass on mine.  Steel slide looks to be the same.  Also the plastic powder hopper is screwed in not pressed. Would not be hard to thread up some brass tube and make a brass hopper.

Wonder if I ought to mix and match trying to improve.  Seems the drums will interchange I could use a dedicated measure for my True Line Jr rotary press.  

Any advice ?

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Lyman 55 measures
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I have two now and have had several others.  Minor differences; but with fitting an polishing and tweeking I've found them to be very repeatable.  Opened up the inside on one or two so I wouldn't get any bridging using the coarser powders - used a dremmel for some of it and a carbide burr for most of it.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
You mention a difference in the way the powder hopper is attached. The one that I have just spins when I turn it. I had been under the impression that they were threaded on. Buffalo Arms, I believe, ofers a brass replacement hopper that I had looked at. If mine is pressed on, how do I get it off? Would it be possible to replace it with a brass hopper?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 8:20am
Print Post  
On the newer hopper it spins when you turn it. Looks to be pressed on. Older measure it's threaded.

My 55 is repeatable when things are going well.  When not the screw offside that holds the drum in backs out and causes slop and resulting powder charge changes.  If I lock tite it in then the drum can't be removed easy for cleaning.  Add to that the rough inside bore casting not fitting the drum good it needs to be cleaned a lot.  So much that I gave up using it for black powder.

Putting all back together today mixing the best parts from each. Will report results.  I like that brass bushed bore on the older measure.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Boats, back years ago when I was doing research for an article on the various Ideal then Lyman powder measures, I took a bunch of them apart for cleaning, etc.  I never recall seeing a bushed one, from first year productions on up through... 

The blue paint is something I have seen on a couple of the Culver type upgrades and only one that had apparently had the original type rotor returned for whatever reason.  I wonder if the bushing was part of an upgrade?

As to the threaded plastic reservoir, I believe that was discontinued about the same time they went to the grey painted bodies, then never resumed when they returned to orange.  I've never gotten factory confirmation on that, but it seems that the examples I have encountered at least roughly follow this "rule."

HTH ~ Froggie

IP Logged

rwjshooter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Hi Guys

I have five of the 55's all threaded, as stated keeping the end washer thingus tight does make a better working measure 
For an easier way than making a brass tube to fit for the hopper is to buy an adapter from Sinclair and you just screw a powder bottle on the measure Accurate or Hodgden 
Have a nice day
Ray

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks all

Good tip on the threaded to bottle adpater, I  use those bottles on my Harrels measure so could be the way to go.

Froggy this measure has been modified I think.  Think it might have been a culver conversion that had the mic drum taken out at some time ?  Blue paint is pretty well done. If the brass bore is aftermarket it's a good one.

Am going to do some looking on Culver conversions see if I can find a photo.

Boats

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
I don't know if it will work on a Lyman 55 but I replaced my small aluminium reservoir on a B&M with a nice long pre-cut section of chromed brass 1.5" waste pipe bought at a plumbing supply house. I even got a reloading pun thrown in for good 'measure'. The pipe has the legend "20 Guage" roll stamped on it. I didn't stop to research the static properties of chrome plating so I may be living on borrowed time.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Got it or more to the point them back together. Used the best parts of both.  Just loaded 100 38 spl ctgs using Unique.  It works much better than my old/new 55.  Only real difference is the body is a smoother casting and it's brass bushed in the bore but a significant difference in performance.

Set it at 4.8 grs and it threw without devation time after time.  Ran 10 throws and weighed at 47.7 grs.   One thing about these 55's with the knocker even when the hooper gets low if you knock on the fill and dump stroke they still throw consistent charges.

I still cannot figure out exactly what I have, Never found a good picture or discription of a Culver conversion, why this one was painted blue, or who bushed the bore out with brass.  If any body needs some 55 parts I have a boxfull now,

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Boats, I've got a picture of a blue Culver on my old computer.  If I can get it to boot up and if I can figure out how to get it off that one and onto this computer, I'll send you a copy of it.  It was given to me by a late writer for Precision Shooting, probably only a few minutes to hours before he died suddenly of a massive heart attack.  I've really missed e-mailing him.

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Froggy if this was a Culver at some time best parts are long gone. The drum is origional Lyman,  Only the body looks to have been altered or modified.  And the blue paint added.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint