Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gun show manners (Read 8262 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Gun show manners
Nov 29th, 2008 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Went to show in St. Louis today. Young man had a new production Savage model 30 in .22LR. This is the current production repo of the Favorite. Talked to the guy early in the day and he wanted $150. I was standing next to a guy that I did not know while waiting for my friends to leave. Had been chatting with the guy for a while. Guy with the Savage is on his way out. Offered him $100. He said $125. I told him $100. Started to get my money out. Before I could get my money out my frendly stranger I had been talking to said I will give you $125. Guy with the gun looks at me  redfaced and asks if it is ok with me. I felt sorry for the kid because the gun was worth more than that and said ok. I walked away cussing to myself. Am I nuts are was this clown out of line?

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Gun show manners
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I don't know if it's "out of line".. but it WAS kinda rude...

Now, if you and the guy had not come to a deal, and he started walkign away, then I'd say guy#2 would have been perfectly within his rights to say "hold on a sec...." and make a deal.
But cutting in to the middle of YOUR deal?  Rude.

Paul F.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Very bad manners. That stranger was raised by wolves.  Unfortunately some people dont have manners. Unfortunately theres laws against adjusting strangers with a brick, to the head. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
You're not nuts, and he was out of line. People like that should be told so too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:34am
Print Post  
The guy behind the table gets blasted alot from people with bad manners and its strange he finished the deal in the middle of the row!

Randy

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:30am
Print Post  
USA it was rude, China the normal way to do business. 

Boats

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:16am
Print Post  
A lot depends on the circumstances. Looks like mistakes were made on both sides.

As I get your message it was a kid walking around the show with the gun. When he was leaving you offered him a $100, the other guy should have kept his nose out of the deal until you walked away, and then bought it. That's the bad manners part! I'd have told him to keep his nose out of my business!

The kicker is the seller asked you if it was alright with you if he sold it for #125. Of course since the other guy did say he'd pay $125 you would then have had to buy it at $125, or as you said, it was ok for the kid to sell it to him. By saying what you did you forfeited any right to first choice. Your mistake if you would have been willing to pay $125.

Of course the other guy should have kept his mouth shut, but he didn't so you have to go on from that point. You did. You knew the gun was worth more and you felt sorry for the kid, so you didn't insist on your rights.

I had about the same deal at the Des Moines Show yesterday. I told the dealer I'd think about it. As he was going for the paper work for someone else purchase another guy came up and reached for the same gun. I put my hand on it and said I'm dealing on this, and I didn't take my hand off it till the dealer came back and the guy left. Around here if you once physically let go of a gun then anyone else who picks it up supersedes your rights to it.

So, in effect when you told the kid it was ok to sell it to the other guy for $125 you gave up any rights to it.

Speaking of gun shows...... The price of AR's is sure getting wild. One table had one I was looking at for $867. Across the aisle the exact same gun was tagged at $1400. Every other one I looked at fell in between. Try to find new .223 brass!

As mentioned in another post...... I haven't seen so many people at a gun show in years. Hardly get down the aisles at times.

PETE
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:25am by tenx »  

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Occasionally a table holder will put someone in his place who tries to butt in by saying " I'm dealing with this gentleman right now, I will talk to you when we are finished" or something to that effect. Its really in the tableholder's best interest to maintain some proper curtesies in dealing because  it cuts both ways, they will be the ones cut out of a deal as often or more often than anyone else. Gun show promoters should also promote the observance of common curtesy. However, it seems like in the last few years, the situation has deteriorated a little bit. Occassionally I do hear someone insist on proper etiquette, but I have also seen people make an offer right while the potential buyer is examining the item in his hands. Very rude and offensive, but becomming more common. Joe S

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:25am
Print Post  
JOE
THE PRICE OF THE GUN WAS $125 NOT $100 STRANGER GAVE HIM WHAT HE WANTED FOR IT. ITS NOT UR GUN TO SET THE PRICE ON. U HAD NO DEAL GOING.
GET OVER IT.
TOM

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:52am
Print Post  
i have never had a problem like this Smiley

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Right on Dave.Whitey

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I agree with the spirit of the Dave's post, but I don't see the the guy in the original post so mujch as a good samaritan as someone highballing a  low ball offer with slightly higher low ball offer.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Situational ethics is not the point here. If it were, one could always argue that the person making the higher bid is doing the seller a favor by offering more money, thereby justifying the rudeness of his behavior. Any given item is worth what you can get for it at that time and at that place. Different time, different place, could result in different price, up or down. The fellow that was leaving the gun show with the rifle was leaving either beacause he had to , due to time constraints, or because he did not get his price after having been through the show at least once. If he sells the gun for $100 in an arms length transaction, thats what its worth at that time and place. The buyer should not have butted in. There is no "right" way to do the "wrong" thing. 

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I accidently ended the prior post before I was finished, so I will finish in a separate post. In the tool example, the neighbor who was robbing the old lady wasnt dealing with her at the time the other fellow bought the rest of the tools. In the business of buying and selling, its Buyer and Seller beware, buyer has to know what he wants to offer and seller has to know what he wants to get. If either makes a mistake they pay the price. Its a little bit different if you lie to someone for your own benefit. I am not talking about a situation where someone intentionally deceives another person. Some people have a conscience, some dont. I have been collecting one thing or another for about 40 years and some of the people that preach the most about collecting ethics are the ones to watch out for. I know this sounds a little wierd, but if you see someone "taking advantage of someone else" ( which is one way of saying they are getting a good deal), I say let them end the negotiations before you get involved. Do you want to intervene because you want to help the one person or because you want to get in on the deal too? IN my earlier days, I needed the rent money on Monday and got it by selling about $2,000 worth of stuff at a gun show on Sunday for about $600.  At the time, I was happy to get it because I needed it right then. Did the buyer take advantage of me? I dont feel that way. I was happy to find a buyer and dont regret it even to this day. Dont feel too sorry for the seller who sells too cheap, they might know more about the product than you think, and have their own reasons for accepting the price. Sometimes the buyer who makes a good faith offer gets burned because the seller uses that to get five cents more from someone else. I offer what I am willing to pay, if its not enough, I am not offended if the Seller says " no thanks" but I am offended if someone butts in.  Just my 2 cents, fwiw. Joe S

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
As someone else noted here. You only have priority while you have the item in your hands. Put it down, let it go and the guy beside you has an oportunity to make any deal he can. I have had instances where I and buddy's have hit a table at the same time and spied a number of desirable items that we are all in the market for. For the most part if the price is right or reasonable we will just say to the seller "I will take it" I have at times had something I knew someone else also wanted. And I have turned and said "Do you want this for his price?" If so I have handed it to him. BUT! if it something I really want and desire and have been looking for quite a while I will just hold onto it until I have made my deal. I feel the 2nd guy here was guilty of butting in while slumlord was dealing, bad manners. I would have at least said something to him. But the truth is the owner really controls because he has not as yet sold it to anyone. AND! he did ask before making a deal with guy #2. Bottom line here in my mind is that we in the Single Shot and Schuetzen game are Gentleman and are above petty squabbling. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint